Spreading germs/the flu --let's discuss

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady2

Spreading germs/the flu --let's discuss

Postby LibraryLady2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:39 pm

We are all cautioned about washing hands etc. in the flu season.

Last week the news featured several stories about the flu virus floating in the air (especially from coughs or sneezes) and that the air around
a flu victim was as bad as the hands.

People in Asia wear face masks when they have a cold or ? that could spread via the air.
Some hospitals have disinfectant gel and masks available for visitors.

My question: Why don't we/the American people adopt the custom of wearing face mask to protect ourselves during the flu season?
I have seen no PSA advising us to do so. Seems this would help a great deal.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

GFB

Re: Spreading germs/the flu --let's discuss

Postby GFB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:45 pm

People wearing face masks creeps me out. Whatever their reason..I don’t wish to be near them,or even speak with them from a distance.

Washing the hands and getting a flu shot are very important.

And after shaking hands..(something I do but don’t enjoy)..I’m careful not to put my hands near my face until I can wash my hands.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm

LibraryLady2 wrote:We are all cautioned about washing hands etc. in the flu season.

Last week the news featured several stories about the flu virus floating in the air (especially from coughs or sneezes) and that the air around
a flu victim was as bad as the hands.

People in Asia wear face masks when they have a cold or ? that could spread via the air.
Some hospitals have disinfectant gel and masks available for visitors.

My question: Why don't we/the American people adopt the custom of wearing face mask to protect ourselves during the flu season?
I have seen no PSA advising us to do so. Seems this would help a great deal.

Good question. Where I live (more or less the upper Appalachians) many of us do take such measures to prevent the spread of infectious
diseases. We have a regional hospital here and the measures taken here begin with face masks. Hard to get in to visit if you have flu
likes symptoms and you'd better not have a skinned knee or you're not getting in. This community is on high alert and we have rather
fewer cases of flu compared with nearby communities.

I'm healthier than twin horses, but I am cautious. Not going to crowded venues, washing my hands, getting my wearables cleaned. And
nobody believes the smear that the spread of flu is a liberal plot.
All Life is Feudal

tx3653

Postby tx3653 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:57 pm

GFB, I agree. When I see someone with a mask on I wonder why the H they are wondering around away from the house if there is something wrong with them. And why were they even allowed in the place if they had that mask on? Why let them in to pass on whatever they have to anyone else?

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm

tx3653 wrote:GFB, I agree. When I see someone with a mask on I wonder why the H they are wondering around away from the house if there is something wrong with them. And why were they even allowed in the place if they had that mask on? Why let them in to pass on whatever they have to anyone else?

Sigh ... most of those who have something are either staying at home or going to the doctor. You would restrain them from the latter?

By far the greatest number of mask wearers, at least in this enlightened area, wear to protect themselves. Would you restrain them from that???
All Life is Feudal

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes..I think that’s why many do it.

And I don’t want to come within 50 feet of anyone that freaky or paranoid.

Same response as TX..stay home freaks.

Jami

Postby Jami » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 pm

When I see someone with a mask on out in public, I'm assuming that their immune system is weakened by illness or chemo and they are protecting themselves.

My question is, why don't we hear more about disinfecting our cell phones? I bet there are more germs on cell phones than just about on anything else. My cell phone gets frequent wipe downs with a disinfecting wipe. I also wash my hands frequently.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:17 pm

When we had a bad flu episode in 2009, we had one student who came to school with a mask.
He was not ill--his parents were trying to protect him. He quit wearing it after a week because he was so self conscious.

It does seem to me that in schools or communities where there is a big outbreak, that masks would be a good decision.
Physicians and medical folks seem to think the masks give protection.

--Having said that, I'm sitting here not wearing a mask. :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 pm

People wearing Mask are freaks, Why dont thEy stay home?, They frighten me.

I cannot understand the people who said the above. People wearing mask do so for many reasons. Its simple to understand the main reasons with just a minimal amount of brain power. I, for example, am 73, not in great health but doing ok. I do have however COPD, a lung disease. To catch a cold is hard on my system. To catch pneumonia or the flu could be deadly for me. I grocery shop early mornings while its not crowded, I try, with success, to stay away from close personal contact with strangers. No handshakes, shoulder hugs or even a fist bump.

When I go to my health provider. the Dallas Vetrans Hospital I will wear the face mask for my protection from others, not to keep them safe from me.There are so many ill Vets there at all hours you are hardly ever more then a few feet from being in a crowd, especially in a elevator or in a waiting area with the seats in rows next to one another.

When I see a masked person I'm not frightened, I am thankful they care enough to wear it-regardless of some folks objections.

** A masked person with a hat on covered by a hoodie wearing sunglasses with a gun in his hand in a bank actually would frighten me a LOT.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm

glenn/dallas wrote:People wearing Mask are freaks, Why dont thEy stay home?, They frighten me.

I cannot understand the people who said the above. People wearing mask do so for many reasons. Its simple to understand the main reasons with just a minimal amount of brain power. I, for example, am 73, not in great health but doing ok. I do have however COPD, a lung disease. To catch a cold is hard on my system. To catch pneumonia or the flu could be deadly for me. I grocery shop early mornings while its not crowded, I try, with success, to stay away from close personal contact with strangers. No handshakes, shoulder hugs or even a fist bump.

When I go to my health provider. the Dallas Vetrans Hospital I will wear the face mask for my protection from others, not to keep them safe from me.There are so many ill Vets there at all hours you are hardly ever more then a few feet from being in a crowd, especially in a elevator or in a waiting area with the seats in rows next to one another.

When I see a masked person I'm not frightened, I am thankful they care enough to wear it-regardless of some folks objections.

** A masked person with a hat on covered by a hoodie wearing sunglasses with a gun in his hand in a bank actually would frighten me a LOT.

You and LL are using logic.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:13 pm

glenn/dallas wrote:People wearing Mask are freaks, Why dont thEy stay home?, They frighten me.

Not describing people like yourself Glenn.

The people we speak of are usually in their 20s. They are just paranoid germaphobes..and if they are that afraid of the world, yes..I think they should stay home.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:22 pm

I just watched Young Sheldon. LOL I guess I was channeling Sheldon. :lol:

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:44 am

Masks don't bother me but I don't care to use them.

I'm not a big handwashing or disinfectant freak, but I don't work in a job where I deal with the general public. Don't drink much or smoke. The biggest risk I take is eating out.

Return to “Your first forum”