Bob Of Burleson

A whirligig for your rooftop

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Silent rooftop wind turbines
could generate half
of a household's energy needs

Megan Treacy
Treehugger.com

Small wind turbines scaled to the right size for residential and urban areas have so far lived in the shadows of their larger wind-farm-sized counterparts. The power output has been too low for a reasonable return on investment through energy savings and the noise they produce is louder than most homeowners can deal with.

A Dutch renewable energy start-up called The Archimedes is working to solve both of those problems in a new class of small-scale wind turbine -- one that is almost silent and is far more efficient at converting wind into energy. The company states that the Liam F1 turbine could generate 1,500 kWh of energy per year at wind speeds of 5m/s, enough to cover half of an average household's energy use.

When used in combination with rooftop solar panels, a house could run off grid. "When there is wind you use the energy produced by the wind turbine; when the sun is shining you use the solar cells to produce the energy," The Archimedes CEO Richard Ruijtenbeek said.

The Liam's blades are shaped like a Nautilus shell. The design allows it to point into the wind to capture the most amount of energy, while also producing very little sound. The inventor of the turbine Marinus Mieremet says that the power output is 80 percent of the theoretical maximum energy that could be harnessed from the wind.

MORE WITH VIDEO

GRANDPA

Re: A whirligig for your rooftop

Postby GRANDPA » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I've always wondered why they have to be fans. I was thinking an upright finned cylinder with the cab down at the ground would be much simpler. No matter which way the wind blows, it spins without having to turn into the wind.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:09 pm

One would cost you $5,400 when the company starts selling them in January. But I don't know whether this is just for the windmill or whether it includes the generator and other stuff you would need to get electricity.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Looks like an Obama energy stretcher/world saver to me.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Roof top?? Is it composite material?

Jami

Postby Jami » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

I want a purple one.

FlashM

Postby FlashM » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Can't wait to run those by the HOA. Years ago, ours forbade solar panels and satellite dishes.
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Dennis wrote:Roof top?? Is it composite material?

Yeah, and how do they affect wireless, radio and TV signals?

Return to “Your first forum”