A Txdigest poll: Should ATVs be allowed on public roads?

Description of your first forum.

Should ATVs be allowed on public roads in Texas?

Yes
21%
No
57%
Maybe
21%

Total votes: 14

Bob Of Burleson

A Txdigest poll: Should ATVs be allowed on public roads?

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:21 am

Residents of Meeker, Colo., ride all-terrain vehicles through their neighborhood in April. Meeker has legalized the use of ATVs on its streets.

Push to Allow All-Terrain Vehicles
on Public Roads Hits Speed Bumps

Effort to Help Riders Access Backcountry Trails Triggers Safety and Environmental

By Jim Carlton
connect
The Wall Street Journal

MEEKER, Colo.—When Katelin Cook wants to take a spin in the surrounding Rocky Mountains on her all-terrain vehicle, she just hops on the four-wheeler in her driveway and takes off—down a paved public road.

"What we'll do is wake up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and say, 'Let's run up and let the dogs swim around,'" Ms. Cook, 28 years old, says of the ATV jaunts she and her husband, Deloy, take to places like Howey Reservoir about 30 miles away, a journey that includes 15 miles on county roads.

The Cooks can do this because Rio Blanco County, like at least 11 other counties in Colorado and a growing number across the U.S., has legalized the use of off-road vehicles on some public roads. In recent years, ATVs have been approved on streets and roads in states including Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The trend is particularly prevalent in the West, where many rural counties have opened up hundreds of miles of public roads as part of a push by ATV enthusiasts to access backcountry trails without having to tow the vehicles there. But the movement is triggering safety and environmental concerns.

Accidents on public roads accounted for 368, or 44.7%, of 822 ATV-related deaths in the U.S. in 2007, the latest year for which complete data are available, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. According to the institute's most recent study, ATV public-road fatalities fell to 305 in 2011 from a five-year high of 377 in 2008. There were 35 deaths on all roads in 1982, according to the institute, an industry nonprofit group.

MORE

dublusk

Re: A Txdigest poll: Should ATVs be allowed on public roads?

Postby dublusk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 am

They are allowed out here on county roads and FM roads but not state highways.

OnTexasTime

Postby OnTexasTime » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 am

dublusk wrote:They are allowed out here on county roads and FM roads but not state highways.

My understanding is only farm machinery* is allowed on those roads under state law. Counties and local law enforcement can choose not to ticket those who ride the roads in their county. In Navarro County I know people have gotten tickets for riding in the traffic lane of a farm to market road, but were told that if they drove slowly along the shoulder or grass they would not get a ticket.

*There are some who claim their ATV is farm machinery as they use it to check their cattle, etc.
Never argue with a Moron, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Profit is not a four letter word!

truep

Postby truep » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 am

Only if they meet all the safety requirements and can keep up with normal traffic speeds.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 am

Here in Sanger you will see everything from riding lawnmowers to ATV's. I can live with that, just can't imagine a golf cart on Forrest Lane or Berry Street.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

RebelRouzer

Postby RebelRouzer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:55 am

:D OUT here on the salt fork of the Brazos if you behave, only the DPS will hassle.I own 2 atv and rzr. In over twelve years of riding over Baylor and Knox counties have been stopped twice both DPS They can be a bitch lecture we just park and wait them out .Our sheriff likes us on the county roads more eyes less crime.Make them LEGAL.

Orphie

Postby Orphie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 am

We have a Polaris Rzr. I checked with the po lice and we can ride it legally on all the residential streets. Kinda surprised me. Just can't get on the main road or interstate, but we can cross over the main hwy. Rule is on residental to go the speed limit which is 35 . Took it to the beer barn once and it's across the street from the po lice station .. bwhahhhahaha!!

Love going to the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas. Everything is ok unless it's the major hwy and is ok to cross over there too.
Zephyr thinks he's smart. He said onions are the only food that makes him cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:51 pm

It makes a lot more sense to allow them on secondary roads than Bicycles !

I am a never Hillaryite!

RebelRouzer

Postby RebelRouzer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:03 pm

We have six NO s why is this a problem on rural or residential areas? We are not talking about highways or freeways Please explain why you want to limit this?

Return to “Your first forum”