Crime is out of control..

Description of your first forum.
rusty

Re: Crime is out of control..

Postby rusty » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:17 am

GFB wrote:If it was all about poverty, that would make it easy..lock up everybody that doesn’t make 50 grand a year.

Profoundly dumb.

Did I say it was all about poverty?

I said it was "a" result of poverty.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:24 am

planosteve wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:
Crime is a result of poverty.
Period, paragraph, end of story.

John Dillinger
Baby Face Nelson
Bonnie and Clyde
Machine Gun Kelly

Not to mention many of the Mafiooso.

They all grew up impoverished.

The color of their skin had nothing to do with it. But since you’re a closeted racist, that all you can think of.

Here’s the big question, if you’re actually a racist, can anyone really “play the race card” against you?

Poverty doesn't cause crime. Crime causes poverty.

You can believe what you want to believe. But, good luck finding anything that supports that! :roll:
Here's a few, for starters. Let me know if you need any more:

Poverty is the root cause of many crimes in the world such as theft, murder, trafficking, and the selling of contraband items.
https://vittana.org/how-poverty-influences-crime-rates

Crime is the cause of poverty in urban areas in that individuals and communities victimized by crime have more difficulty breaking out of poverty.

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-libra ... ghborhoods.

Social scientists and public officials have long identified poverty as a “root cause” of crime or, at least, as a significant “risk factor.” Such a causal linkage was made by Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius (121-180 A.D.), who declared, “Poverty is the mother of crime.”

During the 1960s, Attorney General Ramsey Clark emphasized that the United States government needed to combat crime by improving the deplorable conditions under which impoverished people were living. What followed was a plethora of social programs aimed at doing just that. Although many citizens benefited and improved their lot in life, crime remained an intractable problem.

What may not be apparent is that crime causes poverty.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... es-poverty

POVERTY DOESN'T cause crime. Crime causes poverty. Therefore, to fight poverty, fight crime.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

Crime causes poverty, argued James Q. Wilson, probably America's most celebrated criminologist. Like many observations that are counterintuitive or at variance with current wisdom, Wilson's findings did not resonate with the mass public.

How does crime cause poverty? Think about the current spate of smash-and-grab large-scale retail thefts. Two of those happened at the mall in my town. In the most recent orchestrated assault, some eighty young people, mostly males, pulled up in about a dozen vehicles and ran into Nordstrom swinging crowbars, breaking display cases, and stealing 200 thousand dollars' worth of goods. They injured five employees. The scene was repeated not only throughout California, but in several major cities.

Some of my neighbors used to go to the mall during Christmastime to shop, to dine, and to look at the Christmas displays. But not this year. Fear permeates the community, especially among the elderly.

A friend in Chicago used to go to the Magnificent Mile, also the recent scene of violent theft, with his family every Christmas season, but not this year and maybe never again.

Violent thefts create fear, and where there is fear, there is avoidance. Fewer shoppers means less spending on goods and services. The violent assault on a retail establishment also causes fear among the salespersons, some of whom do not return to work, just as bank employees who experience a robbery often do not return.

Less spending means fewer jobs and less circulation of money through the local economy. In our case, the local sales tax also goes to our schools, and this means less money for education.

The thugs, who received between $500 and $1,000 each to participate in the smash-and-grab, put themselves at severe and disproportionate economic risk. Going to prison is an economic loss not only for those who are convicted, but also for those who depend upon them for support. The breadwinner goes to jail, and the family goes on welfare.

Experiencing high levels of theft in San Francisco, as a result of the city making retail theft under $950 a misdemeanor, Walgreens is closing stores, and Safeway is cutting hours as well as beefing up exit control. The loss of drugstores is resulting in communities talking of prescription deserts and asking the city to compel Walgreens to remain open, something it cannot do.

Neighborhoods that become retail deserts lose value and become less desirable places to live. Retail establishments that remain in high-theft areas are forced to raise prices to compensate for both theft and higher insurance costs. When residents complain of retail deserts, they fail to ask the most relevant question: how did the retail desert emerge?

When community organizers compare food prices in inner city neighborhoods and suburbia, they often cry racism, but the reality is more complicated. Theft is higher in inner-city neighborhoods, and retail establishments need to compensate for the losses. The higher prices impact the people who can least afford them.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... erty_.html

As for poverty—defined as having little money—Sutherland and Cressey’s references to its impact were few and skeptical. Sutherland was quoted from his earlier writings as observing that while crime was strongly correlated with geographic concentrations of poor persons, it was weakly correlated (if at all) with the economic cycle. That is, crime might be observed to increase as one entered a poor neighborhood, but it was not observed to decrease as neighborhoods generally experienced prosperity. Furthermore, Albert K. Cohen (to whom Sutherland and Cressey refer approvingly) had shown that much of the delinquency found among working-class boys was “non-utilitarian”—that is, consisted of expressive but financially unrewarding acts of vandalism and hell-raising—and that these acts were more common among this group than among middle-class boys. If economic want were the cause of crime, one would predict that delinquency for gain would be more common among those less well-off and delinquency for “fun” more common among the better-off. Yet the opposite seemed to be the case. “Poverty as such,” Sutherland concluded, “is not an important cause of crime.”

https://www.commentary.org/articles/jam ... nologists/

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:33 am

Nailing liberals is so easy.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:58 am

Kiamichi wrote:
rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:
..or maybe a percentage of black people are inherently violent..and a much larger percentage than other races.

Crime is a result of poverty.
Period, paragraph, end of story.

John Dillinger
Baby Face Nelson
Bonnie and Clyde
Machine Gun Kelly

Not to mention many of the Mafiooso.

They all grew up impoverished.

The color of their skin had nothing to do with it. But since you’re a closeted racist, that all you can think of.

Here’s the big question, if you’re actually a racist, can anyone really “play the race card” against you?

Of that group one, at least, came from an exceptionally privileged background:

https://www.alcatrazhistory.com/mgk.htm
George "Machine Gun" Kelly

George "Machine Gun" Kelly is probably considered one of the most famous "gangsters" from the prohibition era. "Machine Gun" was born George Kelly Barnes on July 18, 1895, to a wealthy family living in Memphis, Tennessee. Kelly's early years as a child were essentially uneventful and his family raised him in a traditional household. His first sign of trouble began when he enrolled into Mississippi State University to study agriculture in 1917. From the beginning, Kelly was considered a poor student with his highest grade (a C plus) awarded for good physical hygiene. He was constantly in trouble with the faculty and spent much of his academic career attempting to work off the demerits he had earned.

John Dillinger came from a middle-class family in Indianapolis. His father was a grocer, and also owned several rental houses. Little is known about Baby Face Nelson's background.

But Bonnie and Clyde were poor, so you got at least one right.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:09 am

So stupid..if you have to go back 80 to 100 years to make your point..you’re admitting defeat.

Bank robbers and Prohibition era criminals from a century ago are not relevant to black people on the streets today pushing strangers in front of Subway trains for fun.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:24 am

Nobody's saying that every crime ever comitted was caused by poverty. White coller crime for instance. You can always find plenty of exceptions to any "rule". We're talking in general terms. Poverty is probably the biggest factor :roll:
"Nice little Jewish community you got here"-Arab world to Nut Job 8-)

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:26 am

planosteve wrote:Nobody's saying that every crime ever comitted was caused by poverty. White coller crime for instance. You can always find plenty of exceptions to any "rule". We're talking in general terms. Poverty is probably the biggest factor :roll:

Of course it is.

Poor people are more likely to commit crimes, black, white, or brown.

To say that poverty is not a huge factor in crime (across the color spectrum) is sticking your head in the sand and showing your ass.

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:27 am

GFB wrote:So stupid..if you have to go back 80 to 100 years to make your point..you’re admitting defeat.

Bank robbers and Prohibition era criminals from a century ago are not relevant to black people on the streets today pushing strangers in front of Subway trains for fun.

I used names that people would recognize. It matters not when the crimes took place.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:06 pm

rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:So stupid..if you have to go back 80 to 100 years to make your point..you’re admitting defeat.

I used names that people would recognize. It matters not when the crimes took place.

Yeah, but half of the people you named didn't come from poverty, and one came from wealth.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:09 pm

planosteve wrote:Nobody's saying that every crime ever comitted was caused by poverty. White coller crime for instance. You can always find plenty of exceptions to any "rule". We're talking in general terms. Poverty is probably the biggest factor :roll:

No, it isn't.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:22 pm

https://www.abebooks.com/9781581822724/ ... 90ae13e5e8

Using new information that comes from the formerly classified files of the FBI, the Nelson who emerges from the pages of Baby Face Nelson: Portrait of a Public Enemy is a more paradoxical and interesting figure than one might expect. Obviously addicted to crime in his youth and evidently intoxicated with violence near the end of his life, he came from an ordinary, honest middle-class family. In a surprising departure from the gangster norm, Nelson and his wife remained fiercely devoted to one another, and between holdups they often lived a quiet domestic life with their two children and, at times, Nelson's mother.

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:50 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:

Yeah, but half of the people you named didn't come from poverty, and one came from wealth.

I named 5 people. You corrected me on Machine Gun. I stand corrected.

Baby Face Nelson was raised in Chicago in an area called "The Patch"

This river settlement along the North Branch became known as "Kilgubbin," or more often, as "The Patch." It quickly became a haven for Irish immigrants who were so poor they couldn't afford proper housing. The island was dubbed Kilgubbin, after the area in Ireland where most of them were originally from.

So Machine Gun was wealthy, Dillinger may or may not have been middle-class.

That's 1 out of 5 who was wealthy, 1 out of 5 who was middle class, and 3 out of 5 who were poor. I might not be Einstein, but how do you get half out of that?

I just named a few off the top of my head. I'm not spending anymore time trying to prove anything to people who refuse to listen to anything other than what they want to hear.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:34 pm

People will twist themselves, and reality..into a pretzel to avoid dealing with anything racial.

..unless it’s against white people..no problem there!

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 pm

What none of you mention, is that the great majority of black criminals is other black people.

I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:18 pm

GFB wrote:People will twist themselves, and reality..into a pretzel to avoid dealing with anything racial.

..unless it’s against white people..no problem there!

Yes. Some of you will twist yourselves into pretzels to support your narrative. Good observation. I’m proud of you for finally getting it.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:27 pm

GRANDPA wrote:What none of you mention, is that the great majority of black criminals is other black people.

Edit : The great majority of victims of black criminals, is other black people.
Now back to your regularly scheduled rants & ravings.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:43 am

GRANDPA wrote:
GRANDPA wrote:What none of you mention, is that the great majority of black criminals is other black people.

A: That's still not OK
B: That leaves thousands of white victims of black criminals.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:14 am

rusty wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:

I named 5 people. You corrected me on Machine Gun. I stand corrected.

Baby Face Nelson was raised in Chicago in an area called "The Patch"

This river settlement along the North Branch became known as "Kilgubbin," or more often, as "The Patch." It quickly became a haven for Irish immigrants who were so poor they couldn't afford proper housing. The island was dubbed Kilgubbin, after the area in Ireland where most of them were originally from.

So Machine Gun was wealthy, Dillinger may or may not have been middle-class.

That's 1 out of 5 who was wealthy, 1 out of 5 who was middle class, and 3 out of 5 who were poor. I might not be Einstein, but how do you get half out of that?

I just named a few off the top of my head. I'm not spending anymore time trying to prove anything to people who refuse to listen to anything other than what they want to hear.

Those who have investigated the origins of the criminal who used the alias of Nelson--a child of Canadian immigrants--say that his family was normal and middle class. So of your examples of gangsters produced by poverty, the majority came from at least average backgrounds.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:24 am

Don't leave this out of the equation:

27 of Top 30 Crime-Ridden Cities Run by Democrats

https://stream.org/27-of-top-30-crime-r ... democrats/
It's a joke son,I say a joke

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:36 am

jellowrestling wrote:
GRANDPA wrote:

A: That's still not OK
B: That leaves thousands of white victims of black criminals.

A. Did I say it was?
B. Does that make it better or worse?

Return to “Your first forum”