Fishing Question-help needed

Description of your first forum.
glenn/dallas

Fishing Question-help needed

Postby glenn/dallas » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:57 am

I am a on again, off again fisherman, just dont go as ofter as I used to. I have been invited to a day trip to Texoma this Sunday by
a sibling. They have hired a guide and in the guides remarks about the day he signs off by the reminder "Gratuities for the guides are at your discretion? I have never used a guide, so dont have a clue what is proper and as a invited guest am I even expected give aything. If it matters, our party will consist of 5 adults.

thanks
glenn/dallas

kent

Re: Fishing Question-help needed

Postby kent » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:56 am

I've used guides a couple of times, and never tipped. That was back in the 90's. Things have probably changed. I guess it would depened if they put you on fish or not.

I would think it would fall to the person who booked the trip.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm

I have never used a fishing guide, but have used a hunting guide for trips to New Mexico, Colorado and Montana. I never tipped the
principal, but always tipped the cook and the wranglers.
Additionally, at the company in Houston we took @ 15 of our mid-level management team on a 3 day hunt to LaSalle county each fall. Again, we did
not tip the principal but did tip his hired help.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 pm

It is common to tip (in Port Aransas). If it's one guide that uses his boat, that's who you tip and if you want to keep him as a guide, you need to include a nice lunch for him. If it's a commercial boat with a captain and mate or mates, all get a tip, but sometimes the captain won't accept it, but he doesn't act insulted.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:15 pm

I don't think tipping is too common because most of the guides are owner/operators, and not just employees, but if you spiffed em a $10 I don't think it will be denied. But, if you were to get skunked, I wouldn't tip a dime, guess its based on the experience. You will probably be right down the road from me, I live about 5 minutes from Highport. What marina will you be out of?

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:01 am

"Grassman"]I don't think tipping is too common because most of the guides are owner/operators, and not just employees, but if you spiffed em a $10 I don't think it will be denied. But, if you were to get skunked, I wouldn't tip a dime, guess its based on the experience. You will probably be right down the road from me, I live about 5 minutes from Highport. What marina will you be out of?

Mill Creek at 6:45am, and thanks

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 pm

i wouldnt tip an owner/operator. he set his price up front.
i would tip a first mate who busted his ass for me.
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

Return to “Your first forum”