PSA=if you have contact with little kids

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady2

PSA=if you have contact with little kids

Postby LibraryLady2 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:55 am

Please make sure as soon as the kid is old enough to recognize a call for help needs to be made that the kid knows how to dial 911.
I believe all smart phones will let a 911 call be made without the phone being unlocked. I'm not sure because I don't lock my phone.

Anyway, this was prompted by a story from the UK where the 5 year old child didn't know how to get help.
Her 5 year old logic said, "open the curtains and turn on the lights so someone will ask what is going on."
5 years old--the logic is not even what a teenager's logic would be....but I believe 5 year olds could be taught to call 911.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4nn2lg3gego
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

GRANDPA

Re: PSA=if you have contact with little kids

Postby GRANDPA » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:02 pm

When my now 17 year old granddaughter was about 4 years old, she was playing with her Mother's old phone, listening to music clips or whatever. It had not had service in months. She comes up to me, hands it to me, "My friend wants to talk to you, Grandpa." OK, I'll play along. "Hello friend." "Hello, this is the 911operator." She explained to me that any phone with a charge can contact 911. Grandchild was playing with the buttons & accidentally connected.

I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

jellowrestling

Re: PSA=if you have contact with little kids

Postby jellowrestling » Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:33 pm

LibraryLady2 wrote:Please make sure as soon as the kid is old enough to recognize a call for help needs to be made that the kid knows how to dial 911.
I believe all smart phones will let a 911 call be made without the phone being unlocked. I'm not sure because I don't lock my phone.

Anyway, this was prompted by a story from the UK where the 5 year old child didn't know how to get help.
Her 5 year old logic said, "open the curtains and turn on the lights so someone will ask what is going on."
5 years old--the logic is not even what a teenager's logic would be....but I believe 5 year olds could be taught to call 911.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4nn2lg3gego

It's even easier in the UK: 999

But that's changing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc3WY3fuZU

Return to “Your first forum”