We are Penn State

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

We are Penn State

Postby LibraryLady » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Interesting film clip........and interesting that people refuse to see the truth 'cause he was a winning coach

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/opinion/we-are-penn-state.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Ric

Re: We are Penn State

Postby Ric » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 pm

well, I believe that Jo Pa was guilty of bad judgement. Laying the responsibility of a cover up entirely at his feet is akin to the Dims blaming W for every sin committed in Government. Jo Pa had a positive effect on thousands of student athletes that was genuine. Maybe we should take away all those degrees since they are tainted with the influence of a man. He was much more than a winning coach to many people. You don't become a legend by accident. Removing his mark on the University is a sad thing. And, imnsho, wrong. IAs I said, I think he used poor judgement and to think that more kids were damaged because of that poor judgement probably still haunts his spirit in the after-life. Pretty easy for things to be entirely slanted on a dead man. The administrators? Yeah. But Jo Pa spent the majority of his time working with his students.. not covering up for a guy that he probably had no idea how deep into the talk he had gone. A mistake, to be sure. But certainly being a fall guy is unfair.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm no sports fan but I heard about this whole Paterno thing , didn't follow it though . I only watched a couple minutes of the video . Seems to me that the guy holding the sign has the Right to hold the sign but he oughta move out of the way when people want pictures without the sign and the signholder .

Ric

Postby Ric » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:22 pm

That is true. The guy with the sign wasn't accomplihing what he thought he was, anyway.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:33 pm

If you watch the whole video, interesting by the way, it shows that the statue was removed by PSU not long after this finding, and that Paternos' name was removed from not only PSU but also from his Alma mater, Brown University. Hard to see it any other way since Sandusky plead guilty to all of the charges.

I am constantly amazed, and disappointed, with how we excuse or attempt to minimize the behavior of anything that may be done by athletic participants whether it be coaches, owners or the athletes themselves. If Paterno would have owned, say a tire shop, and Sandusky been the manager, the punishment and public outcry would have been a lot worse. But since he is a football guy, let's marginalize the damage and forgive and forget.

I wonder how his apologists would feel if Sandusky had been sodomizing their son, or having their boy give him a bj or two? Perspective changes everything.

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:33 pm

ralph wrote:I'm no sports fan but I heard about this whole Paterno thing , didn't follow it though . I only watched a couple minutes of the video . Seems to me that the guy holding the sign has the Right to hold the sign but he oughta move out of the way when people want pictures without the sign and the signholder .

+1

Ric

Postby Ric » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:08 am

RaisinCain wrote:If you watch the whole video, interesting by the way, it shows that the statue was removed by PSU not long after this finding, and that Paternos' name was removed from not only PSU but also from his Alma mater, Brown University. Hard to see it any other way since Sandusky plead guilty to all of the charges.

I am constantly amazed, and disappointed, with how we excuse or attempt to minimize the behavior of anything that may be done by athletic participants whether it be coaches, owners or the athletes themselves. If Paterno would have owned, say a tire shop, and Sandusky been the manager, the punishment and public outcry would have been a lot worse. But since he is a football guy, let's marginalize the damage and forgive and forget.

I wonder how his apologists would feel if Sandusky had been sodomizing their son, or having their boy give him a bj or two? Perspective changes everything.

I doubt the tire shop owner would have been treated with such disdain if it was known that he knew very little about the employees actions. Paterno was an old man from a different generation. And he certainly wasn't given a pass because he was a football guy. If anything, the fallout was worse because he was a football guy. Pretty easy for the university to spin blame on the dead guy. Was he guilty? Yes, he used bad judgement in letting authorities know what had been reported to him.. At the end of the sordid tale that is Sandusky.
I'd feel different if the old boy had participated in a long coverup for his friend. It is not at all like being a Bishop who knowingly hid the sins of a priest for a lengthy period of time.

Return to “Your first forum”