Replace your windows??

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Replace your windows??

Postby LibraryLady » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

planosteve

Re: Replace your windows??

Postby planosteve » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:15 am

Generally, the aluminum windows on newer houses are crap and should be replaced. They are weak and as the house settles, they will bind. We can only open about half of ours. They may loose their seal and moisture gets inside and they look dirty all the time. The better windows have a gas inside that blocks the heat but lets the light in. The cheap ones don't and will heat up the room in the summer.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 am

In my experience the article makes sense.

Modern Windows are not what they are made out to be.

I am a never Hillaryite!

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 am

Yep

Houston

Postby Houston » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:00 am

replacing the old alum. windows with
double pane vinyl saves dollars and cuts noise
Four boxes keep us free:
the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
"You will never accomplish gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens"
Ronald Reagan

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:57 pm

planosteve wrote:Generally, the aluminum windows on newer houses are crap and should be replaced. They are weak and as the house settles, they will bind. We can only open about half of ours. They may loose their seal and moisture gets inside and they look dirty all the time. The better windows have a gas inside that blocks the heat but lets the light in. The cheap ones don't and will heat up the room in the summer.

The house we replaced with our current one has such bad foundation issues that one of the aluminum windows was literally bowed out from the frame about 4 inches. 90% of the windows didn't open. Those that opened wouldn't stay open without a stick holding them up. The previous owners had purchased storm windows which were essentially another set of windows outside the original. The storm windows were also aluminum. They were just about worthless. I really worried about how we would get out of that house in case of fire.

When I designed this house I included foam insulation (purchased from one of my web design clients), top of the line vinyl windows (also purchased from one of my web design clients), and radiant barrier in the attic. Our utility bills dropped by 40%............and we have windows that open and close.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

Return to “Your first forum”