Dad handles inappropriate text messages

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Dad handles inappropriate text messages

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:03 pm

A Maryland dad likely won't see any charges after he struck a local teacher with a baseball bat.

Police say the dad saw a series of texts on Thursday between the 42-year-old teacher and his daughter, a 15-year-old student. The girl's mother deemed them "inappropriate for a teacher and a student" to be sharing, News Net 5 reports. Investigators didn't agree and never charged the teacher with a crime, but the situation took a downturn later that day when the unidentified teacher showed up at the girl's house.

He wanted to speak to the girl's father, but was told to leave, CBS local reports. When he refused, the dad reportedly whacked him with a baseball bat. The teacher sustained minor injuries.

Police arrived at the Nottingham home at about 9:45 p.m., but the teacher didn't press charges.

The Crimes Against Children Unit continues to investigate, according to The Baltimore Sun. The department said it won't release the names of the girl and her parents.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Red Oak

Re: Dad handles inappropriate text messages

Postby Red Oak » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Should have at least broke a leg or arm.

I am a never Hillaryite!

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:36 pm

The texting is irrelevant and may not have amounted to anything.
He may have been asking her where her homework was or why she wasn't in class.
If she was habitually lazy the parents may have thought that was inappropriate.

Being asked to leave the home and refusing, calls for the baseball bat.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Why the hell are teachers and students texting anyway? Too many red flags here.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Grassman wrote:Why the hell are teachers and students texting anyway? Too many red flags here.

I've never done any texting and barely know what it is.
If it is invasive the girl shouldn't be given the ability to do it.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:07 pm

BillB wrote:
Grassman wrote:Why the hell are teachers and students texting anyway? Too many red flags here.

All kids text, thats not the problem. It's teachers and students texing like they are pals, nothing good can come from it. Sounds inappropriate to me.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Ditto!
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 am

Grassman wrote:
BillB wrote:

All kids text, thats not the problem. It's teachers and students texing like they are pals, nothing good can come from it. Sounds inappropriate to me.

Grassman, IMO, that is the problem--kids/teachers forget that they are NOT pals when the texting begins.

In my earlier years of teaching, the teachers tried to keep their private life 100% away from the students. I would have never given my home phone number out to the students (even though I was in the phone book). Now the teachers are encouraged to give out numbers, "in case the student needs help at night."

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Sloanmiester

Postby Sloanmiester » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:18 am

" . . . Now the teachers are encouraged to give out numbers, "in case the student needs help at night."[/quote]

In my last teaching job, we were told to give our home phone number to our students. I openly refused. My "bad attitude" was used against me at my next performance review..

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 am

Sloanmiester wrote:" . . . Now the teachers are encouraged to give out numbers, "in case the student needs help at night."

That is bizarre..

..gee whiz..big surprise we end up with problems.

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am

LibraryLady wrote:A Maryland dad likely won't see any charges after he struck a local teacher with a baseball bat.

Police say the dad saw a series of texts on Thursday between the 42-year-old teacher and his daughter, a 15-year-old student. The girl's mother deemed them "inappropriate for a teacher and a student" to be sharing, News Net 5 reports. Investigators didn't agree and never charged the teacher with a crime, but the situation took a downturn later that day when the unidentified teacher showed up at the girl's house.

He wanted to speak to the girl's father, but was told to leave, CBS local reports. When he refused, the dad reportedly whacked him with a baseball bat. The teacher sustained minor injuries.

Police arrived at the Nottingham home at about 9:45 p.m., but the teacher didn't press charges.

The Crimes Against Children Unit continues to investigate, according to The Baltimore Sun. The department said it won't release the names of the girl and her parents.

Sounds like a teacher over stepping bounderies.
I find the comment that teachers are encouraged to give students their mobile numbers so they can be contacted out of hours odd to say the least.
A line has to be drawn...teachers are not 'mates' or social workers, they are there to educate not be a friend in need 24/7.

Orphie

Postby Orphie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Zelda wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:A Maryland dad likely won't see any charges after he struck a local teacher with a baseball bat.

Sounds like a teacher over stepping bounderies.
I find the comment that teachers are encouraged to give students their mobile numbers so they can be contacted out of hours odd to say the least.
A line has to be drawn...teachers are not 'mates' or social workers, they are there to educate not be a friend in need 24/7.

I agree! There is no reason at all. That's gross.
Zephyr thinks he's smart. He said onions are the only food that makes him cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Teachers aren't the only ones who overstep boundaries in some of these situations.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:04 am

GRANDPA wrote:Teachers aren't the only ones who overstep boundaries in some of these situations.

Teachers are in responsible positions of trust...thats the difference between them and the kids they each.

Or if you meant the dad overstepped his boundaries, he had a right to protect his family and his property.....maybe whacking him with a baseball bat was over reacting, then again maybe it wasn't.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:21 pm

No, not the Dad. I'd probably do the same thing. I mean the kids. They're not all naive innocent angels
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:08 am

GFB wrote:

Ditto!

Double Ditto!

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:27 pm

GRANDPA wrote:No, not the Dad. I'd probably do the same thing. I mean the kids. They're not all naive innocent angels

Kids often overstep boundaries...it comes with being young and stupid....and definately some of them are not little innocents.
However a teacher is in a position of trust, he is supposed to be the one setting the boundaries here.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:47 pm

So true, Zelda!

Return to “Your first forum”