TEXAS Senate approves open carry

Description of your first forum.
BillB

Re: TEXAS Senate approves open carry

Postby BillB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 pm

As far as gun rights are concerned, the Roberts court has done more for gun rights than any court in history.

The Heller decision said the 2nd amendment meant what it said- all citizens have the right to keep and bear arms. Previously there was no clarification about what the "well regulated militia" clause meant. Did it mean that only militia members had the right? The Heller decision cleared that up.

The McDonald decision said that states and cities must also abide by the 2nd amendment, not just the federal government.

Why would any believer in gun rights not like those decisions?

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:11 pm

good point Bill , you seem to be well read !!! Thing is though that they have done some things on private property like KELO that I understand are detrimental to private property Rights . And then 'roberts' siding with obamacare .

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:17 pm

and then on guns , I think that 'scalia' and others have said that reasonable restrictions on guns are ok . Whats reasonable ?? EXAMPLE --- Are machine guns ok , they are in my state but there are some unreasonable [IMO] restrictions on their sale , taxation / permission stamps . Some would say that these restrictions are REASONABLE while I would disagree !!

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:29 pm

ralph wrote:and then on guns , I think that 'scalia' and others have said that reasonable restrictions on guns are ok . Whats reasonable ?? EXAMPLE --- Are machine guns ok , they are in my state but there are some unreasonable [IMO] restrictions on their sale , taxation / permission stamps . Some would say that these restrictions are REASONABLE while I would disagree !!

The type of guns permitted, was not a part of the reasonable restriction language.
That had already been decided in 1939 by United States v. Miller.
The reasonable restrictions that Scalia and Alito cited were keeping guns out of the hands of convicted felons and the mentally ill.
Had that not been in the decision, they would not have gotten Anthony Kennedy's vote to make a majority.
Despite that, we should applaud Scalia and Alito for doing what should have been done 200 years ago.

I agree with you about Kelo and Obamacare. I was talking strictly about the criticism of this court on gun rights.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:43 pm

I suggest we celebrate the Open Carry Law with a Digest get together at Lockhart's BBQ in Oak Cliff and we all show up displaying our Shooters !

So who is with me :-)

I am a never Hillaryite!

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Red Oak wrote:I suggest we celebrate the Open Carry Law with a Digest get together at Lockhart's BBQ in Oak Cliff and we all show up displaying our Shooters !

So who is with me :-)

I think I can get John Wiley Price and Royce West to show up. :)

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:49 pm

That would be great !!!!

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:35 am

ralph wrote:I liked LA shooting range , I hope that it is crowded on weekends . It was when I was there . Burro was also pretty good and crowded .

It is quite crowded..every day of the week.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:44 am

ralph wrote:I think that that may be correct Greg , I see lots of disdain for the men in black robes every once in awhile . Everything from obamacare 'john Roberts' to gun Rights and private property Rights .

There is no title more laughable to me..than "Constitutional Law Professor."

The Constitution was written in the plainest of plain speak..no lawyers of any kind are needed to read it or understand it.

So someone who teaches "Constitutional Law" is simply teaching the history of the ignoring of the Constitution..and the corresponding legislating from the Courts.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Houston

Postby Houston » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:57 am

while I'm not gonna open carry if I see someone doing it I'll stay close to them.
no stupid robber/carjacker/bully is gonna mess with them.

the best thing about this . . .
the tree hugging, liberal, dis-arm cry babies may stay away from Texas and
continue to pass restrictive laws in their home areas.
Four boxes keep us free:
the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
"You will never accomplish gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens"
Ronald Reagan

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:03 pm

I want to know how LEOs' will ask to see the required CHL of people open carrying.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:17 pm

GFB wrote:
ralph wrote:I think that that may be correct Greg , I see lots of disdain for the men in black robes every once in awhile . Everything from obamacare 'john Roberts' to gun Rights and private property Rights .

The Constitution was written in the plainest of plain speak..no lawyers of any kind are needed to read it or understand it.

So someone who teaches "Constitutional Law" is simply teaching the history of the ignoring of the Constitution..and the corresponding legislating from the Courts.

Let's see if that is true.
Here is the 1st Amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Based upon Amendment 1, can a state or city government deny freedom of speech, religion or the press?

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 pm

don't know Bill Seems that Congress can make no law . Is the answer that the entities you mention outside of Congress 'can' make laws abridging those things ??

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:11 pm

because I've seen restrictions on 'free speech' in some cities using 'free speech ZONES' that I consider to be bogus and restrictions on certain words that are not PC . Course those ZONES are when protests are going on or bigwigs are in the area , still consider them to be weasel work though same as the Oklahoma boys being expelled from a PUBLIC university for their speech !! I see Current attacks on religion due to obamacare implementation like rules on certain religions or religious orders [hobby lobby] or some nuns for example . The 'press' seems to me that they are self regulating to stay Politically Correct but I don't think they can be shut up by city or state or at least I can't think of any examples . As far as 'peaceable assembly' , 'free speech zones' already mentioned would be an example that shouldn't be legal imo !! Course the 'supremes' have probably already ruled on these things which leads me to repeat that there is lots of growing disdain for the judges in black robes !!

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:31 pm

BillB wrote:
GFB wrote:

Let's see if that is true.
Here is the 1st Amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Based upon Amendment 1, can a state or city government deny freedom of speech, religion or the press?
It was the intent of the framers of the Constitution to leave those matters to the individual states, so yes, as far as they were concerned a state could. I understand that several states had some weak form of established church for several years after ratification of the Constitution. Does any state constitution not have language similar to Amendment 1?

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:59 pm

states 1st amendment where I live is described in Wikepedia as broader than the USA 1st amendment . Course , doesn't really stop them from doing as they like .

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:27 pm

ralph wrote:states 1st amendment where I live is described in Wikepedia as broader than the USA 1st amendment . Course , doesn't really stop them from doing as they like .

Sir, I like many of the posters on this board live in Texas. You have at times mentioned being originally from the upper mid-west and now live in the PNW. I guess that means Pacific Northwest. Just out of curiosity, which state?

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:12 am

:D

Return to “Your first forum”