I hate Obama Care!

Description of your first forum.
ann jusko

I hate Obama Care!

Postby ann jusko » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:57 pm

My husband has had 6 or 7 back surgeries. It helps for awhile but his theory is when they fix 2, the next ones go. He's had two very intensive involving "instrumentation" that had to be done by going into the back and flipping him over and going in the front. Every surgery has been "This will fix it." He was and is devoted to going to the gym to keep what mobility he has. He's 80 years old and was doing "OK" with having our internist caring for him. And then, the law went into effect that patients, no matter the age, cannot be prescribed continuing pain meds by their own physicians. They must go to a pain management doctor monthly. You must pay this pain management doctor and the "pee in the cup" test is $100. So it's the doctor visit, the urine test and the cost of the medication. The neurosurgeon he saw said the last surgery they did was the gold standard when they did it 4 years ago. But they've now found out it wasn't the right thing to do. He wanted to go in and rectify this (instrumentation again and they've never taken out the old screws and plates). He said "No, I don't want to spend the rest of my life recovering from that huge surgery." I support him in this. So, off to pain management he goes to get one (1) hydrochodone to get to sleep at night.
I'm not done ranting yet.....pharmacies are only allotted so many a month. When they run out, they have to wait till the next month allotment comes in. EVERY pharmacy close to us was out. But who wants to pharmacy shop? We want our pharmacist to know every medication we take. We have 3 CVS in Rockwall but they can't send any to a CVS down the road. I guess that's beside the point since they didn't have theirs either.

There is a way to get around that, but you must be on hospice. A nurse friend is on it. She has Crone's disease. It's very painful, she's rail thin and I know why. She's afraid to eat. She isn't able to work but that drives her crazy, too. She does have the most loving, caring husband. He comes to church every Sunday because she wants the "news". Sometimes she can come and we're all overjoyed to see her! I don't think it's because she's in immediate danger of dying but she doesn't need another doctor in her life and certainly needs the pain medication. But I don't think Steve would accept that psychologically. So, off he goes but he still doesn't have his pain medication, yet. He sometimes doesn't take it because it's not a dependable supply. It's April 3rd and they don't have their allotment, yet. He has enough left till Monday. He said it would break my heart to see some people in their 90's coming in in wheel chairs. And that's why I HATE Obama care!

Sangersteve

Re: I hate Obama Care!

Postby Sangersteve » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:33 pm

We know what you're going through, Donna too is caught in the mess
It's a joke son,I say a joke

scarlett~nc

Postby scarlett~nc » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:34 pm

I am on Medicare , have a pinched nerve that cause pain down both of my legs to the point of almost falling ..I need back surgery, but the knee I had replaced 2 years ago has dislodged and has to be replaced .Have to get that done first ..my Neurosurgeon has been giving me Percocet 90 7.5 mg a month for over a year and still does , I have to see him every 3 months, and have to pick up the prescription the first of each month, but no problem with getting the pain medication ...thank goodness ..

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:02 pm

scarlett~nc wrote:I am on Medicare , have a pinched nerve that cause pain down both of my legs to the point of almost falling ..I need back surgery, but the knee I had replaced 2 years ago has dislodged and has to be replaced .Have to get that done first ..my Neurosurgeon has been giving me Percocet 90 7.5 mg a month for over a year and still does , I have to see him every 3 months, and have to pick up the prescription the first of each month, but no problem with getting the pain medication ...thank goodness ..

Have you tried physical therapy?
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:54 pm

My husband is going to end up at a pain management clinic too. His doctor who would give him pain meds finally retired and his new doctor won't do it. I'd like to know more about the rule change....

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 am

Are you kidding me, Greg? He's done more physical therapy in his life than any 10 of us. And oh, yes, he had to do that before getting the medication, too. I think the rule went into effect on January 1 or maybe October 14th because that's when he had to start going though all this rigmarole. Scarlet, I thought Percocet was taken off the market? I just remember after having vascular surgery, the surgeon was ranting and raving about it. "It's a good drug...."

If you think "I have private insurance so it won't affect me", you better think again. It's THE LAW NOW!

scarlett~nc

Postby scarlett~nc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 am

Percocet is not off the market , just controlled won't call in to Drug Store, you have to sign and pick up at the doctor's office

Yes, Greg I have been thru pain management and physical therapy

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:34 am

DEA last year rescheduled some pain meds, thus the 90 day scripts. I hadn't heard about monthly limits to individual pharmacies.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:40 am

ann jusko wrote:Are you kidding me, Greg? He's done more physical therapy in his life than any 10 of us. And oh, yes, he had to do that before getting the medication, too. I think the rule went into effect on January 1 or maybe October 14th because that's when he had to start going though all this rigmarole. Scarlet, I thought Percocet was taken off the market? I just remember after having vascular surgery, the surgeon was ranting and raving about it. "It's a good drug...."

If you think "I have private insurance so it won't affect me", you better think again. It's THE LAW NOW!

Was speaking to Scarlett. She mentioned she had a pinched nerve in her leg or lower back. The right stretching exercises can be very helpful with that type of discomfort.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:09 am

Oh I forgot one more thing....a psychiatric interview is required once a year. The nurse said "Have you had your meeting with a psychiatrist, yet?" Steve is like "WTH?" He has a very high security clearance and has to meet with a shrink? Oh yes, and pay for it!

Houston

Postby Houston » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:03 pm

restrictions and cutbacks are due to the pain mill clinics who would
write endless Rx for meds to the drug users. blame them for the new rules
and regs which then catch legit people who need the meds.
Four boxes keep us free:
the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
"You will never accomplish gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens"
Ronald Reagan

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Houston wrote:restrictions and cutbacks are due to the pain mill clinics who would
write endless Rx for meds to the drug users. blame them for the new rules
and regs which then catch legit people who need the meds.

That is kind of what I figured and told my husband. The ones abusing the pills messed it up for everyone. And there is still plenty of abuse going on.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:36 pm

excellent thinking Houston !!

Return to “Your first forum”