Any Father's Day Memories to share?

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Any Father's Day Memories to share?

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Any Father's Day memories to share?

When I was growing up, missing church was just not an option---except on Father's Day.......On Father's Day we packed a huge picnic lunch and headed to Galveston to spend the day.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Red Oak

Re: Any Father's Day Memories to share?

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Once when the kids were still at home, they made me Breakfast and to me to a Gunshow.

Tomorrow my Wife, Daughter, and Granddaughter are going to see "Mama Mia" at Fair Park and I will work on something at the Compound.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Sloanmiester

Postby Sloanmiester » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:47 am

When I was five years old, my father was a dead ringer for President Eisenhower. I thought he was the President.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:40 am

My dad could fix anything, he had a great mechanical mind. As I am neck deep in a home remodel, I am realizing I didn't get that trait. I miss him.

Lannie

Postby Lannie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Still remember sitting in the v hull aluminum boat all night crappie fishing with a lantern on the side of the
boat eating Vienna sausage and crackers. On a good night it was tuna fish and crackers. Wish he was here to do it again.

Son called a few years ago and told me we had reservations later that year to backpack in Big Bend. Great weekend
with my son backpacking, sleeping under stars, and seeing something that was on my bucket list.

WonderMonkey

Postby WonderMonkey » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Nope. When my dad dies if they ask me to make a speech it won't be positive.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:26 pm

My husband ended up with a disappointment this FD.
It began just fine--the 3 sons all checked in before lunch.
Son #2 made it a remarkable year by sending his card BEFORE Father's Day (it usually arrives a week later).

Husband had requested lunch at Bill's catfish restaurant in Lone Grove, OK--west of Ardmore.
It is a long drive, but ...........it was FD and his wish, so off we went.
After the almost 2 hour drive we arrived and found it CLOSED!!.......and a "for sale" sign in the window!!
BUMMER.......(my sister said she ate there the last week of May)

So, it was chicken fried steak in Ardmore and a drive home.

For almost 40 years I have heard about his friends who like to eat at a catfish place in Marietta. So, on the way home, we found that restaurant for future reference.

It was a pleasant drive--and we got gas for about .15/gallon cheaper than Dallas, so that was good.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:45 pm

WonderMonkey wrote:Nope. When my dad dies if they ask me to make a speech it won't be positive.

Dang, really? That's tough.

knotlazy

Postby knotlazy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Grassman wrote:
WonderMonkey wrote:Nope. When my dad dies if they ask me to make a speech it won't be positive.

I totally understand it.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:02 pm

WonderMonkey, lose the BS and fix things with your Father. Nothing is bad enough to speak bad about them at their funeral.

knotlazy

Postby knotlazy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Speaking to Dancer....we don't know what Wondermonkey's home life was like. Don't be harsh. However, Wondermonkey, we OWN how we react to people. Maybe you can be the better person and let some stuff go. I had that exact conversation with a long time friend just the other day who is still harboring anger over her parent's divorce and her feelings of abandonment. I know exactly how that feels...but I chose to not let those feelings define me...especially with my hubby and my kids.

Some of us just have never celebrated Father's Day...or even Mother's Day too much like some families do now. Probably because our families are splintered. When I was a little girl...no one encouraged me to make a card...or took me to buy one. My parents didn't do anything for their parents either.

I've been thinking for hours...and I don't have a memory specifically tied to Father's Day regarding my father. My parents divorced when I was young....My mother spent my entire childhood being depressed and she never "planned" a holiday event...especially regarding my father. My father WAS around...he came over once a week and my mother cooked dinner for us. But we never took vacations....went anywhere....MADE A MEMORY. I still have my father...I called him on Thursday before he left for his Ranch. We had a nice chat...I said "Happy Father's Day". I had planned to host a family dinner here...but hubby has been sick and said to plan it later..Hubby comes from the same kind of environment I did growing up. Just too much anger between his parents to ever celebrate a day.

Next year will be my Son's first Father's DAy. I plan to host a big dinner at home and make it a big deal. I didn't do that much when my kids were little since I never knew other families really had a big celebration...but Mother's Day and Father's Day will be a big deal in my Grandson's life...I'll make sure of it.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:42 pm

knotlazy wrote:Speaking to Dancer....we don't know what Wondermonkey's home life was like. Don't be harsh. However, Wondermonkey, we OWN how we react to people. Maybe you can be the better person and let some stuff go. I had that exact conversation with a long time friend just the other day who is still harboring anger over her parent's divorce and her feelings of abandonment. I know exactly how that feels...but I chose to not let those feelings define me...especially with my hubby and my kids.

Some of us just have never celebrated Father's Day...or even Mother's Day too much like some families do now. Probably because our families are splintered. When I was a little girl...no one encouraged me to make a card...or took me to buy one. My parents didn't do anything for their parents either.

I've been thinking for hours...and I don't have a memory specifically tied to Father's Day regarding my father. My parents divorced when I was young....My mother spent my entire childhood being depressed and she never "planned" a holiday event...especially regarding my father. My father WAS around...he came over once a week and my mother cooked dinner for us. But we never took vacations....went anywhere....MADE A MEMORY. I still have my father...I called him on Thursday before he left for his Ranch. We had a nice chat...I said "Happy Father's Day". I had planned to host a family dinner here...but hubby has been sick and said to plan it later..Hubby comes from the same kind of environment I did growing up. Just too much anger between his parents to ever celebrate a day.

Next year will be my Son's first Father's DAy. I plan to host a big dinner at home and make it a big deal. I didn't do that much when my kids were little since I never knew other families really had a big celebration...but Mother's Day and Father's Day will be a big deal in my Grandson's life...I'll make sure of it.
Knot, we all come from a lot of different backgrounds. I am no stranger to divorce of parents, grandparents, etc. My Grandparents raised me. They divorced and remarriedd twice before they split for good. My dad has been dead a long time, I didn't know him. But I refuse to speak ill of him. Wondermonkey, my advice is to heal things ASAP. When he dies, you will have to do some looking inside. Sometimes it hurts.

knotlazy

Postby knotlazy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Dancer wrote:
knotlazy wrote:Speaking to Dancer....we don't know what Wondermonkey's home life was like. Don't be harsh. However, Wondermonkey, we OWN how we react to people. Maybe you can be the better person and let some stuff go. I had that exact conversation with a long time friend just the other day who is still harboring anger over her parent's divorce and her feelings of abandonment. I know exactly how that feels...but I chose to not let those feelings define me...especially with my hubby and my kids.

Knot, we all come from a lot of different backgrounds. I am no stranger to divorce of parents, grandparents, etc. My Grandparents raised me. They divorced and remarriedd twice before they split for good. My dad has been dead a long time, I didn't know him. But I refuse to speak ill of him. Wondermonkey, my advice is to heal things ASAP. When he dies, you will have to do some looking inside. Sometimes it hurts.

We are in agreement, Dancer. However, I understand if someone just can't let a toxic person in their lives...but they have to let it go...the anger and feeling of abandonment. I just think we should be kind to those of us who experienced the shattering of what should have been family.

Chlorine Tinsley

Postby Chlorine Tinsley » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:59 pm

I lost my Dad in 2007 (age 82). He didn't have much "schoolin", as he used to say, but he had a knack of getting the important things right. We weren't "buddies", as I perceived some father/sons to be, but I never doubted he loved me, and he was always there for me. I miss you Dad.
Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:25 pm

knotlazy wrote:
Dancer wrote:

We are in agreement, Dancer. However, I understand if someone just can't let a toxic person in their lives...but they have to let it go...the anger and feeling of abandonment. I just think we should be kind to those of us who experienced the shattering of what should have been family.

OK I agree.

Cowman52

Postby Cowman52 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:42 pm

When I was small, the teacher gave us an outline of several types of flowers to color for our mom's on mothers day. We were from a small rural area too far and too broke to know what a florist was, except for a funeral. Fathers day was another day of grain harvest, eating dinner in the field as quick as possible to get back on the combine.
Dad is still living, years of farm chemicals, working too hard, smoking like a chimney, chemical embalances, and no telling what else have left the same attitude here, just don't think telling a deceased person that he was a sorry sob is gonna do you any good and convince him of his short comings.
Feel you pain, you don't know how much, but be a bigger man in the end.

WonderMonkey

Postby WonderMonkey » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Grassman wrote:

Yes really. I may feel differently when he does die as sometimes that surpasses all thoughts but right now I generally don't care.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:46 pm

Well now I don't feel the warmth of Father's Day. We did the big hoopla, seeing both grandfathers after church and then going home so my father could open his gifts and enjoy the special meal my Mom made for him. My memories of my father are how he gathered the neighborhood kids and we'd hike. I think all of us had the same "favorite" hike. Up to Wildcat Rock! Now I can't imagine taking a bunch of kids up to a cliff overlooking a large stream way, way down. But no one fell; I can't even remember a skinned knee. He was a great swimmer and he taught most of the neighborhood kids to swim, too. But my favorite memory is how my sister and I would have the cards dealt out when he came in from work. He'd take off his jacket and get on the floor with us and play card games. We never heard "Let me relax and read the paper." However, he did have his moments, not trying to be funny though. When my brother-in-law called to tell us they were at the hospital and labor had started. This was the first grandchild. So, my mother, father and I sat at the dining room table and just waited....for hours. Not playing cards, not doing anything but waiting. The phone rings and my father answers it. My brother-in-law shouts "It's a GIRL!" and my father says "Who is this?" It's a favorite family story.

Return to “Your first forum”