Double yolked eggs

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Double yolked eggs

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:19 am

When I lived on the farm we would get a double yolk from time to time. It was always a little "thrill" to me and my siblings.

This AM we had a double yolk in the eggs. I wonder if the commercial folks cull out any egg suspected of being a double yolk.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

bodine

Re: Double yolked eggs

Postby bodine » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 am

We raised chickens when I was in high school; I remember double yolked eggs as well. My recollection is that you were more likely to get double yolks in brown eggs; we had Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Barred Rocks, as well as some white laying Leghorns.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:05 am

I buy JUMBO eggs and I normally have a double yolked egg once a month or so

Chlorine Tinsley

Postby Chlorine Tinsley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 am

I'm not a farm boy, but my grandmother raised chickens and I used to love to help her gather eggs. Wasn't there a superstition about getting a double yolk? Good luck, or something like that, I can't remember.
Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:52 am

Chlorine Tinsley wrote:I'm not a farm boy, but my grandmother raised chickens and I used to love to help her gather eggs. Wasn't there a superstition about getting a double yolk? Good luck, or something like that, I can't remember.

Not aware of any connotations associated with double yolked eggs; but we weren't really farmers, just small town folks who had the room for chickens. My mother's folks were farmers; and I'm sure my grandmother would have said something about double yolked eggs. Or then again, maybe she did, and I can't remember, that was over 35 years ago....

Jami

Postby Jami » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 pm

I learned to always crack a farm egg into a separate container first. You never know what might come out. LOL.

Speaking of chickens, I'm thinking about getting a few but we have to build a coop first.

Cowman52

Postby Cowman52 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm

In the old days, double yolks were kept separate, now I suspect they go to egg beaters or such.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm

We always considered it sorta good luck.

My city friends thought it was awful and would not eat a double yolk egg.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Crime against nature?

:D

dublusk

Postby dublusk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:30 pm

My last batch of chickens gave a double yolk egg about once a week. My new batch hasn't started laying eggs yet.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:37 pm

dublusk wrote:My last batch of chickens gave a double yolk egg about once a week. My new batch hasn't started laying eggs yet.

dub, how do you keep the critters out of your henhouse? Do you have a secure coop?

dublusk

Postby dublusk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm

bodine wrote:
dublusk wrote:My last batch of chickens gave a double yolk egg about once a week. My new batch hasn't started laying eggs yet.

dub, how do you keep the critters out of your henhouse? Do you have a secure coop?

Well, funny story! I thought I had a secure coop, but got up one Saturday morning and a Cooper's Hawk was in the coop eating a chic! I chased it out and found a 1' X 2' opening near the roof! I fixed it and I have had no trouble since! Plus I have 3 dogs at my house One Red Bone Coon Hound, One Pyrenees and one Golden/Pyrenees mix.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:00 pm

dublusk wrote:
bodine wrote:

Well, funny story! I thought I had a secure coop, but got up one Saturday morning and a Cooper's Hawk was in the coop eating a chic! I chased it out and found a 1' X 2' opening near the roof! I fixed it and I have had no trouble since! Plus I have 3 dogs at my house One Red Bone Coon Hound, One Pyrenees and one Golden/Pyrenees mix.

Never had to chase off a hawk. Raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes, dogs, cats, even our own Weimeraner (she had a thing for chicks); one time she caught, killed, and then buried a clutch of newly hatched chicks. Mom had left the gate to the chicken pen so the hens could forage in the yard.

Return to “Your first forum”