Pool drowning in Irving

Description of your first forum.
crocmommy

Pool drowning in Irving

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am

Did yall hear about the incredibly sad story about the 3 kids who drowned in the pool in Irving yesterday? But I wonder who takes 4 kids to swim in a murky pool by yourself if you can't swim?

Here it is:

http://www.fox4news.com/story/29401565/ ... y-drowning

One child is dead and two others are still in ICU after a day at the local swimming pool turned tragic on Wednesday.

Police say while a mother played with her 3 and 4-year-olds in a pool at the MacArthur Place at 183 apartments, she had her back turned to the other three kids who were in the water with her, including a 9-year-old boy, a 10-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy who are all siblings.

"At the point that she didn't hear any more movement,” said Officer James McLellan with the Irving Police Department. “She turned around and saw that they were no longer on the surface, and at that point, began calling for help. She put the 3-year-old up on the side began calling for help.”

Investigators say the mother did not know how to swim.

A maintenance man heard the mother screaming and ran over, dove into the pool, and pulled one of the boys and the girl out. He and the mother began CPR. An Irving officer ran up and she began CPR.

Then, the mother yelled that a third child was still in the pool. A paramedic who arrived dove into the pool and got the third child out.

In the minutes that followed, both police officers and Irving fire paramedics were doing CPR on all three children at the same time.

One was taken to Children's Medical Center, and the other two were taken to Baylor Hospital.

The 10-year-old later died. The two brothers remain in ICU.

One thing investigators will focus on is whether the pool was properly maintained.

"The visibility conditions of that pool are not good at all and actually we were having a hard time determining exactly what we had,” said Assistant Chief Rusty Wilson with the Irving Fire Department.

Apartment resident Michael Mapoles told FOX 4 that the pool was so cloudy, he chose not to swim Wednesday.

"I think the pool shouldn't have even been open ‘cause I never swim in a pool that's this dirty, this murky,” said Mapoles.

"We're interviewing witnesses, we have counselors here, so we're just going through the steps to make sure there's no criminal wrongdoing and that we've had the chance to gather any evidence that might be necessary,” said McLellan.

BillB

Re: Pool drowning in Irving

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Tragic.
It reminds me of the family who drowned in the Fort Worth water Gardens several years ago.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Gosh I had forgotten that one. How many of them died?

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:00 pm

BillB wrote:Tragic.
It reminds me of the family who drowned in the Fort Worth water Gardens several years ago.

Who went in when signs clearly said no swimming then sued the city and won. :?
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:02 pm

crocmommy wrote:Gosh I had forgotten that one. How many of them died?

I was thinking it was a daughter, whose hair became entrapped in a drain, who died.

I certainly agree about the questionable wisdom in a woman who doesn't know how to swim trying to control 7 kids, 3 of whom are swimming in what sounds like a nasty pool.

BillB

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:08 pm

crocmommy wrote:Gosh I had forgotten that one. How many of them died?

Four died.
A little girl fell into it and was sucked to the bottom by the drain.
The rest of them drowned trying to save her. They were all sucked to the bottom and held there.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Very sad story........(actually both of them)

One neighbor said he didn't swim in that pool 'cause the water looked murky/bad.
TV showed a gate that said "pool closed" on it.
I wonder if the mother could not read, or chose to ignore the sign.

No matter what, it is an awful story and the woman will be haunted the rest of her days.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:36 pm

LibraryLady wrote:Very sad story........(actually both of them)

One neighbor said he didn't swim in that pool 'cause the water looked murky/bad.
TV showed a gate that said "pool closed" on it.
I wonder if the mother could not read, or chose to ignore the sign.

No matter what, it is an awful story and the woman will be haunted the rest of her days.

The closed sign might have been put up after the accident. That was what I thought when I saw it.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:14 pm

LibraryLady wrote:No matter what, it is an awful story and the woman will be haunted the rest of her days.

Yep.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 am

millergrovesue wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:No matter what, it is an awful story and the woman will be haunted the rest of her days.

Yep.

And I heard that the other two are still in the ICU "clinging to life". So it may get worse for her.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

Yeah, clinging to life usually means waiting for the parents to decide to donate organs, doesn't it? Very sad.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

millergrovesue wrote:Yeah, clinging to life usually means waiting for the parents to decide to donate organs, doesn't it?

I hope not.

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:08 pm

they can go from clear to murky overnight..... depends on the use.

lots of oils and body fluids can destroy the chlorine in an afternoon and the next day you have a murky pool.
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:33 am

I've been having a heck of a time keeping my pool water balanced. Because of all the rain, phosphate levels have been off the charts. Cleaned the filter last week, and it was nasty.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:31 am

We're having the same trouble with our pool. My husband has had to clean the filter at least once a week. Tests show we have a lot of pollen in it, too, besides all the other stuff. I just took our dog out on a leash (didn't want him barking at 6:30 am). The pool is getting green again. (sigh)

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Just heard the very sad news that all three of those kids drowned. Sorry but I just don't understand how you get to be a grown adult and not know how to swim. I was scared of the water for many years but can swim now. And to stand there, yell for help and wait for someone else to rescue your kids. I would rather die trying to save them. But maybe I just don't understand?

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm

It just does not seem right.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:47 pm

crocmommy wrote:Just heard the very sad news that all three of those kids drowned. Sorry but I just don't understand how you get to be a grown adult and not know how to swim. I was scared of the water for many years but can swim now. And to stand there, yell for help and wait for someone else to rescue your kids. I would rather die trying to save them. But maybe I just don't understand?

I meant to say all three of the kids who drowned DIED. Very sad.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:48 pm

crocmommy wrote:Just heard the very sad news that all three of those kids drowned. Sorry but I just don't understand how you get to be a grown adult and not know how to swim. I was scared of the water for many years but can swim now. And to stand there, yell for help and wait for someone else to rescue your kids. I would rather die trying to save them. But maybe I just don't understand?

If you can't swim why the hell do you let the kids do it????? Who's gonna save them if they need saving? Apparently no one in this case. Terribly sad.

How long before the apt. complex is sued?

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 am

millergrovesue wrote:

If you can't swim why the hell do you let the kids do it????? Who's gonna save them if they need saving? Apparently no one in this case. Terribly sad.

How long before the apt. complex is sued?

There are city pools in irving with baby pool and life guards. She would have to take the bus to get to them but would be worth protecting her child's lives.

Return to “Your first forum”