Some changes in the retail landscape in Richardson

Description of your first forum.
BigTex

Some changes in the retail landscape in Richardson

Postby BigTex » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:21 am

They've started moving dirt on the Walmart construction at Coit and Arapaho (technically Dallas).

The Luby's on West Campbell closed last week. And the Grandy's nearby not only closed, they''ve torn that building down.

kent

Re: Some changes in the retail landscape in Richardson

Postby kent » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:24 am

and the new mayor pulled a fast one, along with city council members (again), and doubled the number of apartments in Palisades after promising no more. :evil:

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:37 am

Probably need additional space to accommodate the growing Reflexology industry in Richardson.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Addisonrose

Postby Addisonrose » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 am

BigTex wrote:They've started moving dirt on the Walmart construction at Coit and Arapaho (technically Dallas).

The Luby's on West Campbell closed last week. And the Grandy's nearby not only closed, they''ve torn that building down.

For a minute there, I thought the Walmart wasn't going to happen. Too bad, fought tooth and nail against it and Greyson couldn't stop it.

crackertoes

Postby crackertoes » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:20 pm

BigTex wrote:They've started moving dirt on the Walmart construction at Coit and Arapaho (technically Dallas).

Drove past the Luby's yesterday morning and was stunned to see it gone practically overnight. That was about the only place my mom like to eat in her latter days. That Grandy's was nasty; it needed to go. I like the new Zoe's. But I'm also surprised that the sushi place (previously another sushi place which was previously a sandwich shop which was previously a TexMex place....) is empty. On the other hand, maybe that's no surprise! :D

Hate that a WM is going in at Coit/Arapaho especially since there's one not that far away north on Coit at PGB and another one at Midpark/Central. What will happen to the WalMart grocery on Coit between Arapaho and Beltline?

Is there ANY sign of anything coming in at the old Whole Foods/Drug Emporium at Coit/Beltline?
Some coffee cups are just too small.Image

dublusk

Postby dublusk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:27 pm

crackertoes wrote:

Drove past the Luby's yesterday morning and was stunned to see it gone practically overnight. That was about the only place my mom like to eat in her latter days. That Grandy's was nasty; it needed to go. I like the new Zoe's. But I'm also surprised that the sushi place (previously another sushi place which was previously a sandwich shop which was previously a TexMex place....) is empty. On the other hand, maybe that's no surprise! :D

Hate that a WM is going in at Coit/Arapaho especially since there's one not that far away north on Coit at PGB and another one at Midpark/Central. What will happen to the WalMart grocery on Coit between Arapaho and Beltline?

Is there ANY sign of anything coming in at the old Whole Foods/Drug Emporium at Coit/Beltline?

Maybe an Albertsons??

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm

The Walmart Neighborhood Market on Coit will close when the new Walmart opens. The same thing happened in Murphy, and Hobby Lobby moved into that Neighborhood Market. (Do we remember there was a Ross and an Eckerd's on that site on Coit that were torn down to build the Walmart?)

Dal Rich Village (Coit and Beltline) has been having trouble for years leasing the large properties when tenants move out. The large space next to the old Blockbuster has been perpetually vacant, except for a couple of seasonal tenants. Same with the old Drug Emporium. I wondered why Whole Foods didn't expand into that space. And now Whole Foods is gone. So there is a lot of square footage sitting empty. Maybe the owners are being unrealistic in what they are asking for rent. I think at some point there will have to be a redevelopment of the property.

Maybe another Walmart?

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Apparently they are hoping the Alamo Drafthouse is going to spawn some redevelopment of Richardson Heights.

crackertoes

Postby crackertoes » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 pm

BigTex wrote:The Walmart Neighborhood Market on Coit will close when the new Walmart opens. The same thing happened in Murphy, and Hobby Lobby moved into that Neighborhood Market. (Do we remember there was a Ross and an Eckerd's on that site on Coit that were torn down to build the Walmart?)

Dal Rich Village (Coit and Beltline) has been having trouble for years leasing the large properties when tenants move out. The large space next to the old Blockbuster has been perpetually vacant, except for a couple of seasonal tenants. Same with the old Drug Emporium. I wondered why Whole Foods didn't expand into that space. And now Whole Foods is gone. So there is a lot of square footage sitting empty. Maybe the owners are being unrealistic in what they are asking for rent. I think at some point there will have to be a redevelopment of the property.

Maybe another Walmart?

I asked the WF manager once why they didn't expand into the Drug Emporium space and he said plainly the landlord wanted highway robbery in rent for it. And now with Blockbuster gone as well as the TexMex place around the corner from it, seems like there is more empty space than filled. I don't understand why they are turning away good tenants like WF. It's such a blight to have all that empty commercial space.
Some coffee cups are just too small.Image

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:45 pm

So it's behind Luby's?

Dennis

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Grassman wrote:So it's behind Luby's?

What?
That theory can not be proven.

Grassman