millergrovesue

Re: What Is Racism

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:19 am

Yep, those all qualify. :x
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:33 am

Not racist but when I was a kid I had a terrible overbite. Kids called me Bugs Bunny. Had a friend who was overweight. They called her Pig and Fatty. I briefly dated a guy who told me I wasn't as attractive as the women he usually dated. The previous woman he dated had a terribly acne scarred face. Wonder what he told her to belittle her. Don't tell me words don't hurt. I know better. Hell, we all know better!

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Racism--I can't define it but I know it when I see it.

When you are watching the local news, if you hear a story about a gas station or a 7/11 robbery, what color of the robber jumps to mind? (Something always does ... our brains traffic in symbolism)

If you see a (pretty, young, blond) white woman arm-in-arm enjoying each other's company, do you have any kind of (only internal) gut churn?

If you are driving under I45 in Dallas late at night and you see 8 good size black men on the sidewalk near where you are stopped by a traffic light
do you want to check the power lock? Do you click the power lock (knowing the guys will hear it)?

The same for a group of white guys?

When you pay or receive change from a store purchase, do you avoid skin to skin contact with a black person?

When you hear of a great individual human achievement, are you just a little disappointed if it turns out to be a black person?

Do you EVER us the "n"word?

Ever?

Do you understand to any degree the anger of an uppity, aggressive black teenager? (Mkinney, TX)

Do you know the difference between black people and white people when it comes to race? Answer: white people don't have to think about it.

Bonus points: if a black person offered to share a drink with you from a bottle or glass they've been drinking from; could you accept it with no more regard than if it were a white guy or gal?

Could you truly enjoy eating at Sweet Georgia Brown every Sunday after church. (Means you'll be your companion will often by the only white faces there) knowing you'll be in line with black
folks for a half hour?

with those near you?
All Life is Feudal

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 pm

mayhem wrote:Racism--I can't define it but I know it when I see it.

When you are watching the local news, if you hear a story about a gas station or a 7/11 robbery, what color of the robber jumps to mind? (Something always does ... our brains traffic in symbolism)

No colour springs to mind...the words thieving b*****d does.

If you see a (pretty, young, blond) white woman arm-in-arm enjoying each other's company, do you have any kind of (only internal) gut churn?

Nope

If you are driving under I45 in Dallas late at night and you see 8 good size black men on the sidewalk near where you are stopped by a traffic light
do you want to check the power lock? Do you click the power lock (knowing the guys will hear it)?

Substite Manchester for Dallas...Yes

Yes

When you pay or receive change from a store purchase, do you avoid skin to skin contact with a black person?

No

When you hear of a great individual human achievement, are you just a little disappointed if it turns out to be a black person?

No

No

Ever?

Never.

Do you understand to any degree the anger of an uppity, aggressive black teenager? (Mkinney, TX)

Yes

Do you know the difference between black people and white people when it comes to race? Answer: white people don't have to think about it.

We have race hate crimes here against white people...so I dont agree

Bonus points: if a black person offered to share a drink with you from a bottle or glass they've been drinking from; could you accept it with no more regard than if it were a white guy or gal?

I could...so give me the bonus point

Could you truly enjoy eating at Sweet Georgia Brown every Sunday after church. (Means you'll be your companion will often by the only white faces there) knowing you'll be in line with black
folks for a half hour?

with those near you?

I hate queueing, makes no odds who is in the queue with me though.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:37 pm

mayhem wrote:Racism--I can't define it but I know it when I see it.

Ever?

folks for a half hour?

with those near you?

When you stroll in a park and come across a Pug..do you react the same as when confronted by a pitbull or Rottweiler..some of this is just dumb.

Yes, the pitbull could be sweet and the pug could be mean..but you are more cautious with one of them..that's just common sense.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:44 pm

More specifically..the pool of dogs for which you are significantly more apt to be attacked in a serious and dangerous manner..is with with Pitbull or rottweiler scenario...not the Pug.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Only people I'd drink after are my spouse or my family (3 black kids in the family). No problem drinking after them as long as they don't have runny noses. Ain't gonna drink after anyone with a runny nose. ;)

I'm a big toucher and patter so I touch about everyone.

I'd be equally concerned if the group were a bunch of white guys..........especially if they looked like rednecks or skinheads.

Yes, I'm aware of race and usually go out of my way to be kind to blacks and Latinos..........which probably makes me racist. :?

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:50 pm

GFB wrote:When you stroll in a park and come across a Pug..do you react the same as when confronted by a pitbull or Rottweiler..some of this is just dumb.

Yes, the pitbull could be sweet and the pug could be mean..but you are more cautious with one of them..that's just common sense.

I don't think any of it is "dumb". It's clear mayhem put some thought into what he wrote. It's good mulling material and a good reminder that most of us have some racist in us.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:01 pm

In response to mayhem's entire post.

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson
It's a joke son,I say a joke

ralph

Postby ralph » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 pm

there you go SSteve , I was going to post similar but lost it somehow . Anyway , yep , even 'jj' understands or understood reality .
Last edited by ralph on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm

millergrovesue wrote:
GFB wrote:When you stroll in a park and come across a Pug..do you react the same as when confronted by a pitbull or Rottweiler..some of this is just dumb.

I don't think any of it is "dumb". It's clear mayhem put some thought into what he wrote. It's good mulling material and a good reminder that most of us have some racist in us.

Asking about taking a drink or stand in line with black people?..those questions are not only dumb, but show some innate racism on his part.

No one would ask such questions unless that is how THEY think.

..and then to blend it in with questions about feeling less secure at night around black strangers as opposed to whites..good Lord..even black people do..this person is confusing a hundred different things.

..this post brought to you by someone who has worked FOR
many black and Latino people..and WITH hundreds.
Last edited by GFB on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm

I think the posing of the questions without reversing the assignment of black and white is racist.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:09 pm

BigTex wrote:I think the posing of the questions without reversing the assignment of black and white is racist.

It most assuredly..is.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:10 pm

GFB wrote:Asking about taking a drink or stand in line with black people?..those questions are not only dumb, but show some innate racism on his part.

..and then to blend it in with questions about feeling less secure at night around black strangers as opposed to whites..good Lord..even black people do..this person is confusing a hundred different things.

...............and doesn't like what mayhem writes and wants to be ornery. :?

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:11 pm

BigTex wrote:I think the posing of the questions without reversing the assignment of black and white is racist.

So you finally got around to answering the original question of how you define racism. Congratulations. :D

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:14 pm

millergrovesue wrote:
GFB wrote:Asking about taking a drink or stand in line with black people?..those questions are not only dumb, but show some innate racism on his part.

...............and doesn't like what mayhem writes and wants to be ornery. :?

Horrible idea for a thread..and Mayhem made it exponentially worse with his ridiculous and racist comments and insinuations.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Yes, I'm aware of race and usually go out of my way to be kind to blacks and Latinos..........which probably makes me racist. (Millergrovesue)

I wasn't very clear with my list of commonplace occurrences: didn't mean for anyone to go thru the list "yes" or "no" -- that's not my point!

It was only intended to exemplify the reality that we are all racists and the only ones of us who say we aren't are exactly those who have a problem.
(Ducking, rolling and running ... but not wrong)

I have a problem with racism. I will cop to it and I will always try to be a better person. And I can do that. Castle Doctrine admits it. I admit it.

We all grew up in a racist atmosphere which is only part of a racist atmosphere that penetrates (maybe permeates is better) everything on earth. I think Sue added something worthwhile when she indicated we can be racist (I prefer 'discriminating' not always in a good way) on the positive side. Sometimes that's called patronizing. Other times it's just being a good neighbor and Sue obviously is one.

It truly weirds me out that anyone could watch TV, read the paper and go to town not noticing how deeply divided (for more reasons than racism) and racist we are as a country.

Saying that you don't agree with me, that I am bloviating, rambling, clueless, arrogant or just about anything else may well be true, but it doesn't contradict the question at hand. The US has a problem with race ... the whole world has a race problem.

So ... I don't much like the 'racist' world ... discrimination probably describes it better: treating someone differently for differences that don't count or something like that.
All Life is Feudal

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 pm

There is no country in which it is better to be a black person than the U.S.

And you are wrong..we were not all raised in racist homes..and racism in America is not a significant problem.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

GFB wrote:
millergrovesue wrote:

Asking about taking a drink or stand in line with black people?..those questions are not only dumb, but show some innate racism on his part.

I'd say you had a point, but you don't. I wasn't asking any to stand in line with anyone or drink from anyone else's glass.

It was a series of questions to stimulate thinking about the issue. But I really have a problem with any white person saying there is no or little racism here. AND I said it affects ALL. Jews, Asians, Native Americans, Whites, Blacks ... we all have problems that are unnecessary and stem from an unkind directions when it comes to other people.

Look at the problem several of you seem to have with me and Castle Doctrine. We've just been making comments that come from our deepest selves (or not), but we haven't attacked anybody (grumpy? yes; at times offended? yes, mystified by gratuitous unkindness, certainly) ... the name calling and the dirt throwing is hard for me to figure this: why are two decent guys (and one gal) being treated this way?

Are y'all really that afraid of us??? Geez, do I feel powerful!!

Geez, read what I said, will you? I included black people among those who are racist. (Again, another reason not to use that word.)
All Life is Feudal

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:10 pm

I had an experience, a couple of weeks ago, that left me wondering was my reaction racist or not. Stopped at a body shop in Garland to ask directions to 635. 3 guys working all Latino. One walked up and I asked if he spoke English. I was immediately embarrassed that I had asked that question because it really meant I assumed he didn't because he was Latino. He said "A little." Then gave me directions in heavily accented but clear English. I grabbed his arm and said "You're a liar. You speak English better than I do." and laughed. They all laughed. But I left there feeling like an old woman trying too hard not to be racist and being racist in the process.

mayhem, you are right. And I believe, as you said, that those to have to tell us all how unracist they are probably need to take an honest look in the mirror.

I live in a deeply racist part of Texas. I know because I ask people what their experience is with racism.

As late as the mid 60s a black man was dragged to death behind a vehicle around the courthouse square in Sulphur Springs. A black friend of mine told me he grew up with his mom telling him to watch out or it could happen to him too.

When I was working with Meal A Day (this would have been late 90s) we had a much loved black man who "committed suicide" in his truck. He was a little guy who supposedly killed himself with a shotgun. No way he could have done that. He was murdered because he was black. Story I heard was that he had pissed off someone at the sheriff's dept.

The wonderful man, who finished our house and testified for us in court against the builder, is a black man under 50 years of age. He told me many many current stories about racism in and around Sulphur Springs.

Oh, and then there are the Latino milk hands who are routinely housed in storage buildings or old falling apart mobile homes with many men to a structure. They are considered something less than human and that attitude seems to be completely accepted.

Racism not a problem in the US???? Really????? Only if you choose not to see it or admit it exists.

Return to “Your first forum”