Did you watch pro wrestling as a youngster?

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

Did you watch pro wrestling as a youngster?

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Lord Zoltan grapples with
The Blood Beast at a match
in Pittsburgh.

For Aging Pro Wrestlers,
Dreams Get Body-Slammed
but Never Die

By Kris Maher
The Wall Street Journal

PITTSBURGH—As an analyst at H.J. Heinz Co., Lou Zygmuncik spends his days thinking about ketchup sales. But about once a month, he transforms himself into the trash-talking bruiser Dr. Devastation.

Mr. Zygmuncik, 38 years old, is one of two dozen wrestlers in the Keystone State Wrestling Alliance, a bottom-rung pro-wrestling troupe. It sets up its ring at the Teamster Temple, a union hall, and draws about 300 fans to its shows, often including Pittsburgh's mayor, Bill Peduto.

"It's got this whole other edge that's off-the-charts hip," says the 49-year-old Mr. Peduto, who grew up watching professional wrestling with his grandfather.

The popularity of pro wrestling, as measured by TV ratings, hit its peak more than two decades ago. In 1988, 13.5 million households tuned in to network TV to watch a bandanna-wearing Hulk Hogan battle 7-foot-4 André the Giant. This year, the industry's marquee brand, World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., WWE +0.52% is pushing pro wrestling online, so far signing up more than half a million subscribers to a new digital network.

But wrestling events continue to proliferate at small venues around the country. Every week, dozens of promotions that are run by second- and third-tier companies hold hundreds of bouts. Many wrestlers work for little money while hoping to get discovered by the WWE and eventually get six-figure incomes.

Then there are groups like the Keystone State Wrestling Alliance, one more notch down. The ultra-low-budget operations follow the basic professional-wrestling formula—plots with clearly defined villains and good guys—and put fans into a frenzy with ringside taunts and body slams off the ropes.

MORE WITH VIDEO

GFB

Re: Did you watch pro wrestling as a youngster?

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:44 pm

I never watched any of that..but my older brother did for a while..so it was on.

He liked Gorilla Monsoon, and was it Bo Bo Brazil?
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Sure - on TV back in the 60s from the North Side Coliseum and the Sportorium.

I am a never Hillaryite!

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Didn't watch wrestling.
Did watch some roller derby, LA Thunderbirds, as a kid.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

tx3653

Postby tx3653 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:07 pm

My dad was a big fan. Started going to the house shows with him when I was 10 or so. Have been watching it off & on ever since. Don't like the TNA group of wrestlers and the WWE has some really crappy guys in their stable now. If I watch at all, it is a program I have DVRed and can fast forward thru about 75% of it.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Yes, when I was a kid, but not since. The favorite bad guy was Handsome Harley Race. The good guys were Danny Little Bear & Rufus Jones I think all the matches were in Kansas City.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Yep, watched a lot of it during the 1950s.
My grandmother was a big fan. She believed every bit of it was real.
I remember Duke Keomuka, "Dangerous" Danny Savage, Farmer Jones (brought a pig into the ring with him), Rito Romero, Black Guzman, etc.
Keomuka had a stomach claw that paralyzed his victim's diaphragm so he couldn't breath. They would bring a team of medics with some sort of respirator into the ring to keep him alive then carry him out on a stretcher.
My grandmother would get so upset my mother had to make her quit watching it.

Gopher

Postby Gopher » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Red Oak wrote:Sure - on TV back in the 60s from the North Side Coliseum and the Sportorium.

Up until the mid 80's I guess. Watched the WCCW bunch from Dallas and when most of those guys moved to Atlanta on WTBS I switched to. Lost interest when the WWF bunch took over.
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Stand on it till you smell stink!

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:28 pm

I heard it was fake........ but come on how do you fake something like the iron claw?
It's a joke son,I say a joke

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Sangersteve wrote:I heard it was fake........ but come on how do you fake something like the iron claw?

I thought boxing was a lot more honest until I saw the Liston-Clay fights.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Yes, it was a staple in our household. :D

Early 1950s we had no TV, but my aunt/uncle did. Every Friday night we went to their home and watched on a tiny TV.
Later, when we had a TV, we watched every Friday night (Houston market).

Some of the names I remember: Gorgeous George, ---Danny

It was very popular entertainment at that time.

I don't think I have watched wrestling since I was about 14.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

DevonSmith

Postby DevonSmith » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes. Listened to Dan Coats every Saturday night.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:09 pm

And Paul Bosch ! :)

I am a never Hillaryite!

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Red Oak wrote:And Paul Bosch ! :)

yes!

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Gopher wrote:
Red Oak wrote:Sure - on TV back in the 60s from the North Side Coliseum and the Sportorium.

Up until the mid 80's I guess. Watched the WCCW bunch from Dallas and when most of those guys moved to Atlanta on WTBS I switched to. Lost interest when the WWF bunch took over.

Probably about the mid 80's here too. I tuned out shortly after David Von Erich died. That wasn't the cause of it, just lost interest.

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:13 pm

LibraryLady wrote:Yes, it was a staple in our household. :D

Early 1950s we had no TV, but my aunt/uncle did. Every Friday night we went to their home and watched on a tiny TV.
Later, when we had a TV, we watched every Friday night (Houston market).

Some of the names I remember: Gorgeous George, ---Danny

It was very popular entertainment at that time.

I don't think I have watched wrestling since I was about 14.

Sounds a lot like the stories my Dad told me. I remember him mentioning Gorgeous George. They had no TV either and watched it at a neighbors.

I don't remember where he said the shows originated from at that time. Were they national, or did the big names tour through the smaller markets like they did later? Wondering because he grew up in rural areas of East Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Outside of Little Rock and maybe Nashville on a good day I don't think they were close enough to any decent sized city that would have hosted their own wrestling by antenna back then.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 pm

A few big names like Gorgeous George and Lou Thesz toured nationally.

The rest of them here made the Dallas - Fort Worth - Houston - OK City circuit.

In the early-mid 1950s we had Dallas, Fort Worth and Chicago wrestling. It was Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I don't remember which came on when.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:51 pm

I originally wrote this story on June 10, 1988, for the wrestling program at The Sportatorium. That World Famous Arena met it's end this year, as it was demolished. Allow me to take you back in time, and pay tribute to this unique building that I love so much.

Even a five year-old child can sit on the front row of The Sportatorium and feel it. When the bell rings at 8:00 pm on Friday nights, that huge, silver, metallic building on the corner of Industrial Blvd. and Cadiz Street comes alive!

When you visit The World Famous wrestling arena, you can’t help but to think about the days gone by. “If only one of the pews in the front row could talk!” I’ve heard that one a thousand times. No, the pews can’t talk, but I know somebody that can. That man is Bill Hines.

The following history was personally given to me in an interview with Mr. Bill Hines. Bill Hines was the maintenance man at The Sportatorium from 1950 until 1988. I knew that with 38 years of eating, drinking, and sleeping in The Sportatorium, he could tell me all I wanted to know. And boy, was I right!

http://www.percypringle.com/Story-Time/ ... orium.html
It's a joke son,I say a joke

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Big wrestling fan, but oddly I never went to the Sportatorium - which I now regret.

When WCCW started to fizzle out I turned my attention to the WWF. Saw a couple of those in person. But the story lines got too amped up for me and now I only pay attention to who has died.

bodine

Postby bodine » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:43 pm

As a kid we watched the Saturday night wrestling on KTVT; mainly because that was the only interesting thing on TV.

About the only wrester I remember was Ivan Putski...

Return to “Your first forum”