Stopping for a school bus

Description of your first forum.
BillB

Stopping for a school bus

Postby BillB » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 am

There seems to be a lot of confusion on when to stop for a school bus when its lights are flashing or the STOP sign is displayed.

Texas law says that one does not have to stop if they are in a separate roadway from the school bus.
A separate roadway is defined as a divided roadway separated by an area where vehicles are not permitted to operate.
I take that to mean a median of grass, gravel, concrete or a fence. Vehicles are not permitted to drive across such a median.

I know for a fact that the police issue tickets for not stopping on a separate roadway unless the roadways are separated by a fence.

Knowing that, I stop. Its not worth the trouble going to traffic court trying to prove I'm right.

Has anyone encountered this?

millergrovesue

Re: Stopping for a school bus

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:29 am

I took a defensive driving course (first ticket in 44 years - I failed to slow to 35 in a school zone, never mind that the speed limit sign wasn't blinking) and remember this one clearly. The law is stop when yellow lights begin flashing regardless of what direction you are traveling relative to the bus. And yes, not required to stop on a divided roadway. I'm not sure about all of your listings for what constitutes a divided roadway but do know medians qualify.

I almost failed on this one the other day. I was on my road driving the speed limit, 65. Came around a curve at posted speed (there is a house there pretty close to the road in that spot) and there was a stopped school bus with yellow lights just beginning to blink. A little scary. I had to slam on the brakes.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:46 am

In my area, it's very rare for a school bus to stop on a divided roadway, but any ticket issued in that circumstance would be thrown out by a judge. The purpose in having cars stop is to ensure that kids who run across the street after getting off of the bus (which they are not supposed to do) aren't hit by cars. There is no rational reason for cars to stop on the other side of a divided road.

rgb7

Postby rgb7 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:31 am

http://dps.texas.gov/director_staff/media_and_communications/pr/2015/0820a

State law requires that approaching drivers stop when a bus is stopped and operating a visual signal – either red flashing lights or a stop sign. Drivers should not proceed until the school bus resumes motion; the driver is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or the visual signal is no longer activated. A driver does not have to stop for a school bus if it is on a highway with roadways separated by an intervening space or physical barrier. (If a highway is divided only by a left-turning lane, the roadways are not considered separated, and drivers must stop for school buses.)

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:43 pm

A little common sense and good judgement make me stop on a road that may be divided by a row of shrubs or even trees when a school bus is on the opposite side of the street going in the other way. I stop because kids dont know if I will or not, they may assume all cars will stop, which we know isnt true. I certainly dont want to be the one who didnt stop and causes a child to be hurt. If/when the red lights are flashing and/or the stop sign is down I stop, you should also. :|

BillB

Postby BillB » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 pm

glenn/dallas wrote:A little common sense and good judgement make me stop on a road that may be divided by a row of shrubs or even trees when a school bus is on the opposite side of the street going in the other way. I stop because kids dont know if I will or not, they may assume all cars will stop, which we know isnt true. I certainly dont want to be the one who didnt stop and causes a child to be hurt. If/when the red lights are flashing and/or the stop sign is down I stop, you should also. :|

I suspect there are policemen who would write you a ticket for stopping when the law says you don't have to.
They could conjure up intentionally impeding of traffic or some such.
I would stop also, but I'd let everyone else make up their own minds. The law has been quoted in this thread.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:25 pm

BillB wrote:I suspect there are policemen who would write you a ticket for stopping when the law says you don't have to.
They could conjure up intentionally impeding of traffic or some such.

Agreed. Out here the only places that have divided roadways are highways. Stopping on a highway because there is a school bus stopped on the other side of the highway could very possibly get one rear ended at the very least. Might be different in the city -- though the speeds I've seen Dallasites drive on 30 mph streets would argue that. No way I'd stop on a divided road unless I saw a kid actually headed into my lane.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:41 pm

glenn/dallas wrote:A little common sense and good judgement make me stop on a road that may be divided by a row of shrubs or even trees when a school bus is on the opposite side of the street going in the other way. I stop because kids dont know if I will or not, they may assume all cars will stop, which we know isnt true. I certainly dont want to be the one who didnt stop and causes a child to be hurt. If/when the red lights are flashing and/or the stop sign is down I stop, you should also. :|

If you see kids running across a road, through bushes or trees, and then running across traffic on the other side, please call the school. They will put a stop to that real fast (and probably fire the bus driver who is allowing it to happen).

Return to “Your first forum”