Websites, grrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Description of your first forum.
Sangersteve

Websites, grrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Postby Sangersteve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:47 am

I am so sick of major websites filling the page with pop overs, unders, auto-play ads,and clickbait. I understand that they have to support the site with some type of revenue, but its getting to where you wear out your mouse from closing ads.

For example todays Hillary story about the FBI, on the Washington Times was so loaded with crap it killed my browser twice, had to go to task manager each time to even shut it down.The Daily Caller is another site with good content, buts its a beating to clear all the ads.

I might consider a "click fee" to read an article, if you could see an excerpt from the story then choose to pay to read the whole thing. Yeah the whole pay to play would have to have a consolidation site to collect the fees or you could have a sight that acted like a click bank where you deposit money to pay with, kinda like a toll tag. Two options could be available "click fee" or "see ads".
It's a joke son,I say a joke

Mark

Re: Websites, grrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:50 am

The newspaper and other media sites are the worst.
The United States Constitution is under attack by the Democrat/Communist party.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 am

It is frustrating.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 am

Strangely, the Dallas Morning News has got a lot better lately. The ads still take up 1/3 of the page, but they don't open and close or flash on and off or talk to you. I hate those ones that turn on by themselves and you have to close the page to turn them off.
http://www.dallasnews.com/
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 am

Content has to be incredibly important for me to put up with all that irritating crap. Usually I just leave the site. I've seen a number of sites lately that give no option for dismissing a translucent pop up that covers the entire page except for accepting whatever the hell they are selling. Have also seen popups that demand a response as to why you don't want to buy/view their product. Those little tricks are completely unacceptable. There are usually other places to go for the same info. NO WAY would I ever buy any product that appears in a popup. They are the robo callers of the new millinum..........but far more irritating. I rarely use IE/MSN/Bing/or whatever they are calling it today. Invariably it locks up my browser. Can't imagine why anyone would use it.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

BillB

Postby BillB » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:24 am

Making it worse-
The new version of Firefox inserts it's own ads keyed on your browsing history.
There is supposed to be a way to stop it from doing that, but I can't find it.
I'm thinking about abandoning it and using Chrome.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:29 am

I've always used Juno email. Now, it's so full of ads it drives me nuts. Not a problem when I download at home. But, when I use the laptop and their website, it's slower than molasses. I'm thinking of opening a Myway email account.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 am

I use Chrome and it's better than most. Those dang ads on websites have caused me to close out an article I thought I wanted to read. I'm a little OCD and the messiness of them drives me to close after having read 1/3 of the article.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 am

My netbook does not have a very powerful processor, so I have pretty much given up on using it to look at news websites. And Washington Times is one of the worst. Fox News is also bad because it wants to load and run video.

Coincidentally, I was in my car during Rush's show yesterday and he was talking about a new app Apple has come up with to block ads on mobile devices. He said the app cuts loading time of some of these websites to about 5 seconds.

However, my B.S. alarm went off when he complained about fighting through ads to get to the content on news sites - this from a guy who has adopted the practice of working advertising into his show content. (Let the Rush bashing begin)

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:42 am

As soon as someone figured out the revenue possibality of all information /PSA sites, the change came, and NOT in a good way in my opinion.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Our users accidentally click on links that load our computers with malware. Usually, it happens when they Google something they want, and then they naively click on a bait page that somebody has made just for the purpose of infecting users.

I wish for bad things to happen to the people who make these websites.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Edited because my post appeared twice. Sheesh.
Last edited by Jim Jack on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Is this at an office? I am very careful what I click on here. I don't even like clicking on links in this forum.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:23 pm

These are teachers. They will Google something like "free video editor," or "how can I save videos from youtube?"

Then they call me. :)

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 pm

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:01 am

Jim Jack wrote:These are teachers. They will Google something like "free video editor," or "how can I save videos from youtube?"

Then they call me. :)

Have we not learned there is no such thing as a free lunch and if it sounds too good to be true it probably is?

I frequently deal with people who fell for "free" website builders. Invariably these come ons cost people more than they would have paid me for a good site and they wind up with less than they wanted. Then they come to me wanting me to fix their sites for next to nothing because someone else already screwed them over.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 am

Add radio station websites to the list. I tried to open a link to news story on a radio station website and it locked up my computer so badly I couldn't even open the task manager for about 15 minutes.

Needlessly to say, I don't particularly luv that website.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:01 am

Which radio station, so I can avoid a similar problem.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 am

BigTex wrote:Add radio station websites to the list. I tried to open a link to news story on a radio station website and it locked up my computer so badly I couldn't even open the task manager for about 15 minutes.

Needlessly to say, I don't particularly luv that website.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee wonder what station. ;) I don't listen to it so don't know what type of music they play.

Return to “Your first forum”