The Pope and politics

Description of your first forum.
BillB

The Pope and politics

Postby BillB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm not a Catholic but I've always respected the Catholic Church.
The present pope typifies my big hang-up with the Church.
Jesus came to save souls. He was not interested in politics or economics.
The Pharisees tried to trap Him into discussing politics and Jesus refused.

The Catholic Church should do the same. Get people into Heaven and out of Hell. Forget politics, global warming and the rest of it.

My sermon for the month :)

ralph

Re: The Pope and politics

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:02 pm

think its a good sermon Bill , I'm not Catholic either but they have been innolved in the immigration Political issue for a long time and I object to that . Common thought is that they are trying to fill up their church pews with those immigrants from Catholic countries from 'mexico' and south America .

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Only thing I'd change about what you said, Bill, is to expand that to all churches and all religions. Don't want politics preached from the pulpit, thank you.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

BillB

Postby BillB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:32 pm

millergrovesue wrote:Only thing I'd change about what you said, Bill, is to expand that to all churches and all religions. Don't want politics preached from the pulpit, thank you.

You are right.
Good catch :)

ralph

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Up until , think it was the early 60s the churchs preached all the politics they wanted , Think they gave up their FREE SPEECH for tax exempt status . Think its a law that 'lbj' put through . Black churches do pulpit politics all the time .

ralph

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:58 pm

that being said , i would have no problem with Catholic Church preaching immigration policy if they paid for it by losing their tax privleges .

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:55 pm

ralph wrote:that being said , i would have no problem with Catholic Church preaching immigration policy if they paid for it by losing their tax privleges .

Same with their Global Warmin propaganda.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Gigi

Postby Gigi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:05 pm

I AM Catholic, and this pope is driving me crazy with his politics. Stick to faith and morals, Holy Father!

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:26 pm

I am a member of Church of The Outdoor Saints, and this current Pope doesn't measure up to John Paul II, IMO.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Zephyr

Postby Zephyr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:20 pm

I was a bit surprised that the first things he's talked about are Global Warming and the need to admit immigrants from Syria. Nothing about Christians being slaughtered by ISIS. I kind of thought he might be concerned.
"I don't know if bourbon solves problems, but I'd like to give it a shot." - My grandfather, a Very Wise Man.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Good point Zephyr.

I am a never Hillaryite!

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm going to assume the airplane he arrived in doesn't run on ethanol.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:57 pm

It runs on Angel Farts.

I am a never Hillaryite!

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:11 am

Zephyr wrote:I was a bit surprised that the first things he's talked about are Global Warming and the need to admit immigrants from Syria. Nothing about Christians being slaughtered by ISIS. I kind of thought he might be concerned.

I wasn't surprised, because he said the same crap in Cuba. I'm just surprised he didn't talk about Clock Boy.

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 am

Gigi wrote:I AM Catholic, and this pope is driving me crazy with his politics. Stick to faith and morals, Holy Father!

So am I. But, I am quite satisfied by the Pope. Tell me, does the Holy Father often consult with you on his agenda? Did the Church somehow become some sort of democracy?

Let's see, the Pope is the Lord's chosen voice on Earth (for us Catholics). When he speaks in his official capacity he is infallible...speaking with the voice and authority of God. What he says is a matter of faith and morals by definition is just that. Do you not believe the Lord speaks and moves through the Pope for the good of us all? Or, do you only believe that when you agree with the Holy Father...if he doesn't see eye to eye with you he is wrong? Does politics now trump God's message as communicated through his chosen representative?

If God moves Pope Francis to tell us he (God) is unhappy with the way we are treating the planet who are you to reject that message (on political grounds) or even question it? Sounds like a pretty selective belief system you have there. You either believe or you don't. You seem to be telling us you don't believe. Or, perhaps, as it seems many here are saying, you believe your political beliefs trump your religious beliefs. But, I think the main problem is that most of you folks just hate being disagreed with...regardless of who is doing the disagreeing, even God.

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:01 am

millergrovesue wrote:Only thing I'd change about what you said, Bill, is to expand that to all churches and all religions. Don't want politics preached from the pulpit, thank you.

I don't much care for religion being preached from the floor of the Lege or injected into our legislation, either. It cuts both ways.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:17 am

Gigi wrote:I AM Catholic, and this pope is driving me crazy with his politics. Stick to faith and morals, Holy Father!

Ditto, and ditto!
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:17 pm

GFB wrote:

Ditto, and ditto!

So that would make both of you kiddos SECULAR Catholics that just believe the Pope is another elected official? You attend Mass? You recite the Creed? You take communion? You even announce yourself as Catholic...but you reject the Pope because HE doesn't lead the Church the direction you want and in the way that you approve of personally. You DO know that isn't how it works, right?

I can understand your feeling somewhat. I felt much the same way you do about Benedict. But, I never felt the need to attack the Pope because I didn't agree with his efforts to reverse the reforms of the last few decades. I just waited patiently for God to fire him...but he retired first. God moves in mysterious ways. And, it would appear, he ignores your political concerns in so doing and moving His true adherents on Earth.

This thread is interesting from the stand point of how clearly it illustrates the religious hypocrisy of the Right. Oh so pious, oh so Godly, oh so devote... as long as it serves your purposes. Let religion QUESTION you or the tenets of your particular form of political correctness and you show your true colors. I don't know exactly how to classify this position toward the Church. Maybe apostasy, not whatever, I would discuss with my priest whether I needed to seek reconciliation before I took Communion again. And, oddly enough, I would listen to his guidance.

Or you could go fins a Church that agrees with you more...maybe Westboro.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Castle Doctrine wrote:

I don't much care for religion being preached from the floor of the Lege or injected into our legislation, either. It cuts both ways.

From my vantage point the biggest problem in this country today is not enough God in houses of government.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Castle Doctrine wrote:
GFB wrote:

Ditto, and ditto!

Or you could go fins a Church that agrees with you more...maybe Westboro.

Life is so much easier for we Baptists. No one but God can tell us what to believe or how to practice our beliefs.

Deifying a human being has always been mystifying to my thinking.

Return to “Your first forum”