Ten sunscreens that won't poison you

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

Ten sunscreens that won't poison you

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:15 pm

10 safe sunscreens for the whole family

Katherine Martinko
TreeHugger.com

While other rates of cancer are decreasing, melanoma (skin cancer) is on the rise, with more than 2 million Americans developing skin cancer each year. The Environmental Working Guide, in its 2014 Guide to Sunscreens, explains that this is due to an artificial sense of security in the power of sunscreen to protect the skin. People fail to take other measures to protect themselves from the sun, i.e. covering up, finding shade when possible, and avoiding the sun at noon. SPF numbers measure a sunscreen’s ability to deflect burning UV rays, but it does not say anything about a product’s ability to filter the UVA rays that cause skin damage and, potentially, melanoma.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a new set of sunscreen regulations in December 2012, but the EWG laments that they are not strong enough to transform the market. While the regulations crack down on certain bogus label claims, companies are still allowed to use toxic ingredients as chemical filters. Fortunately it’s becoming easier to find safe, green sunscreens, thanks to the EWG’s online database. This post will highlight 10 of their top-rated sunscreens, including ones that I’ve tried. ... Direct links are HERE.

1. Raw Elements Physical Eco Protection Sunscreen (3 fl oz / 88 mL), $18.99

2. Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented Active (2.9 oz), $15.99

3. Aubrey Organics Natural Sun Sunscreen, Unscented (4 oz), $15.95

4. Butterbean Sunscreen (7 oz), $10-18

5. Bare Belly Organic Sunscreen Cream SPF 30 (4 oz), $15.95

6. TerraSport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 (6 oz), $22.99

7. Nine Naturals Sunscreen SPF 32 (4 oz), $24

8. Caribbean Solutions SolGuard Kid Kare SPF 25 (6 oz), $16

9. Smart Girls Who Surf SPF 30+ Organic Sunscreen Face Stick (0.56 oz), $12.99

10. Green Beaver Certified Organic Kids Body Lotion Sunscreen SPF 30 (90 mL), $21.99

MORE

bodine

Re: Ten sunscreens that won't poison you

Postby bodine » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Yes, but I have fond memories of Hawaiian Tropic, my 19 year old bikinied girlfriend, and......

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:16 pm

In true government form, they left out the best..Solbar PF 50.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

knotlazy

Postby knotlazy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Interesting.

I have wondered about all the chemicals we are slathering on our skin....sunscreen...bug repellent....even the ones we ladies use on our faces to prevent wrinkles and encourage "collegin production" (hmmm...that's not spelled correctly). Also...which is a big deal these days...whatever they are using in "spray tans" and the sunless tanner lotions.

I was a baby oil & iodine tanner in my youth...I had the BEST tan all through high school because I didn't mind laying in the hot sun to get it. As an adult, I have either owned a pool or a boat or both and enjoy outdoor activities (do you know you can get a sunburn on your face when snow skiing under cloud cover in the mountains?) And I believe it's true that laying in the sun is addictive...I love it.

Now, I have the skin to show I've been a sun worshiper all my life. Last summer was the first that I did NOT spend time just soaking up the sun.

But I'm not sure the sunless tanners, spray tans and even the sun blocks are good for us either.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Our dermatologist suggested cetaphil with 50 sunscreen. It's also a daytime moisturizer.

Return to “Your first forum”