Sliced Bread

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Sliced Bread

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:20 pm

a little history.........

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49168/brief-history-sliced-bread

When I was a kid, Daddy would get our French bread sliced and I thought that machine was really neat to watch. This was at a bakery in Houston.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

ann jusko

Re: Sliced Bread

Postby ann jusko » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:16 am

When we lived on the farm and the grocery store was about 28 miles away, I baked most of our bread. the kids were toddlers and we were in A&P in Greenville. I picked up a loaf of bread and the oldest (of 4) kids said 'Oh boy! Sliced bread!" That got a few laughs from the clerks. Our poor deprived kids.

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:28 am

The only time I attempted to bake my own bread was years ago when there was a bread shortage here due to the workers striking.

It smelled divine, looked so-so....and gave us all stomach ache. :?

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:21 pm

That made me laugh Zelda. My grandmother made it but she didn't have a recipe and it looked hard to me. BUT our next door neighbor had a great recipe. She showed me how to alter it to make donuts, too. I use the regular dough for hamburger and hot dog buns, too. I just don't know how I could alter it for metric. One thing didn't make me laugh though was the stomach ache. I'm really careful about not letting our dogs get the dough. That really does cause a belly ache since the raw dough starts rising in their tummies.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:37 pm

I bought a Panasonic bread machine and was actually quite surprised at the good results from it.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Our bread machine worked very well.

For awhile our DIL was baking all their bread--she used a bread machine though.

MANY years ago, I made bread--it was OK.
When I was a child, my mother made bread and sometimes donuts.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Good old home made donuts fried in lard are wonderful.

I am a never Hillaryite!

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:50 am

I haven't made bread for awhile. The kids all asked "Where's the homemade bread?" But I have bursitis in my right arm. The ortho told me it might bother me for a very long time since the tendons were pushed through the bursa before they cut the rotator cuff. So much for the elbow being the toughest part of your body.

Jami

Postby Jami » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:47 am

My grandmother used to make homemade bread. She would bring it over while it was still warm and we'd slice it and put butter on it while it was still warm. One of my favorite childhood memories.

Return to “Your first forum”