The "benefits of alcohol" fallacy bites the dust.

Description of your first forum.
Kiamichi

The "benefits of alcohol" fallacy bites the dust.

Postby Kiamichi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:38 am

The evidence that alcohol is bad for you, period, has been out there for a long time despite determined denial, but now even the British health authorities have accepted the fact.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... perts.html

Red wine is bad for your health, experts reveal in a new report.
In a u-turn, Government experts have dismissed the supposed health benefits of wine and are set to rewrite the rule book on the nation's alcohol consumption, according to reports...

In the first overhaul of alcohol guidelines for two decades, doctors will reportedly warn that there is no "safe" level of alcohol consumption and drinking just a small amount may in fact increase the risk of some cancers...

A recent study by University College London found patients who gave up for four weeks saw benefits for their liver function, blood pressure and cholesterol levels and were also at lower risk of developing diabetes and liver disease...

GFB

Re: The "benefits of alcohol" fallacy bites the dust.

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:41 am

Kiamichi wrote:
A recent study by University College London found patients who gave up for four weeks saw benefits for their liver function, blood pressure and cholesterol levels and were also at lower risk of developing diabetes and liver disease...

If you ever went drinking with an Englishman, you know why.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:50 am

everyone wants to live forever . Me , I'll live the 3 score and 10 , do as I like and see what happens . Same goes for beef , eggs , tabaccy and everything else !!

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:17 pm

ralph wrote:everyone wants to live forever . Me , I'll live the 3 score and 10 , do as I like and see what happens . Same goes for beef , eggs , tabaccy and everything else !!

Eggs are fine. A recent U. S. government long term study concluded that dietary cholesterol is no cause for concern. As for tobacco, at least it does not provoke dangerous and anti-social behavior, which can't be said for that addictive carcinogen, alcohol.
Last edited by Kiamichi on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Kiamichi wrote:
ralph wrote:everyone wants to live forever . Me , I'll live the 3 score and 10 , do as I like and see what happens . Same goes for beef , eggs , tabaccy and everything else !!

Eggs are fine. A recent U. S. long term government study concluded that dietary cholesterol is no cause for concern.

And they'll change their minds 6 or 7 more times in our lifetime.

Big mistake relying on the government to define how you should behave..here, but even more so in a country full of drunks.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:37 pm

yeah , I used to read about the lads and lasses going crazy in England .

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:42 pm

and everywhere in the USA everyone is all buzzed up on legal or illegal weed , meth and personal electronic devices as they walk down the street or drive their cars . I see it all the time , driving while texting or puffing of little smokeless pipes . On my bike I see right into the cars front seat .

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:06 pm

my old Grandmother , skinny little woman about 4 foot 9 was told to drink a bottle of beer a day , hope was to get her to gain weight . She made her own beer and this was in the early 60s . I was twice her size in weight and much taller than her when I was about 11 or 12 !! My Mom was told to drink a glass of red wine a day , something about being anemic . I guess that the trick is moderation !!

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 pm

"Moderation", huh?

I may have to look that one up.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Moderation is good, total abstinence is better. People are finally coming around to seeing that but it will be a very long time until alcohol is seen by all as the unhealthful and harmful substance that it is, far worse than tobacco.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:33 pm

A glass of Bourbon seems to lower my Blood Pressure, some days 8-)

Red Wine may very well be bad for you; it gives me a pounding headache.
Last edited by Red Oak on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Kiamichi wrote:Moderation is good, total abstinence is better. People are finally coming around to seeing that but it will be a very long time until alcohol is seen by all as the unhealthful and harmful substance that it is, far worse than tobacco.

Sorry, that's ridiculous.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:37 pm

After a horrible day at work, beer makes me feel better. That's definitely good for my health.
The United States Constitution is under attack by the Democrat/Communist party.

By popular request:

Indeed, "All Leftists lack critical thinking skills."

Indeed, "All Leftist males are pussies."

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:15 pm

ralph wrote:my old Grandmother , skinny little woman about 4 foot 9 was told to drink a bottle of beer a day , hope was to get her to gain weight . She made her own beer and this was in the early 60s . I was twice her size in weight and much taller than her when I was about 11 or 12 !! My Mom was told to drink a glass of red wine a day , something about being anemic . I guess that the trick is moderation !!

------------------------------- and that little old Grandma had 11 kids , my mother being the last kid and she never knew her father because he died of pneumonia before Mom was born . She worked as an office cleaner and the older kids got jobs when they could from the stories that I have been told . SORRY , just remembering !!!

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:50 am

There will always be a certain number of people who deny in the face of the evidence that alcohol causes or worsens the very health problems it supposedly protects against but probably in a couple of generations advanced societies in general will look back at the "benefits of alcohol" mythology and consider those beliefs as ignorant and primitive as we today do the ancient practice of bleeding patients.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... evels.html

Drinkers should take a month off alcohol to prevent serious illness in later life, doctors warned yesterday.
They cited dramatic British research showing how abstention can heal the liver and lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Patients who gave up for four weeks were also at lower risk of developing cancer and type 2 diabetes.
The study is the second at the Royal Free hospital to uncover the huge benefits of staying off booze...

‘The results were staggering,’ said Professor Kevin Moore, who was involved in both experiments. ‘If you had a drug that did this it would be a multi-billion pound market.
‘There was a 40 per cent reduction in liver fat, they lost about three kilograms in weight and their cholesterol levels improved...’

In the second, larger study the London researchers looked at 102 relatively healthy men and women in their forties taking part in a ‘dry January’ campaign.
The women had been drinking an average of 29 units of alcohol a week, almost double the Government guidelines. The men were typically on 31 units, ten too many.
All had blood tests and liver scans and answered detailed questionnaires. Four weeks later the damage caused to their livers by years of heavy drinking had started to repair itself.
Their ‘liver stiffness’ - an indication of disease - had been reduced by 12.5 per cent. Their insulin resistance - a measurement of diabetes risk - had come down by 28 per cent...

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:21 am

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2011 ... onsumption

Last week I attended a discussion group chaired by the Observer's health correspondent Denis Campbell where one of the other experts, a public health doctor, asserted that alcohol should be treated differently from tobacco (and by inference other drugs) because there is no safe dose of tobacco whereas alcohol is safe until a person's drinking gets to "unsafe" levels. Its health benefits for the cardiovascular system are also often used to support the claim that in low doses alcohol is safe, for how else could it be health-promoting?

The myth of a safe level of drinking is a powerful claim. It is one that many health professionals appear to believe in and that the alcohol industry uses to defend its strategy of making the drug readily available at low prices. However, the claim is wrong and the supporting evidence flawed.

There is no safe dose of alcohol for these reasons:

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am

Great..just what we need..a drinking Nazi.

John In Austin

Postby John In Austin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:43 am

Prohibition worked so well. So well that is the only constitutional amendment to be repealed. Brought about Al Capone and organized crime. Yeah let's try that one again. Sheer idiocy.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:46 am

aww maybe , who knows , just a way for these SAFTEY EXPURTS to push there anti alcohol agenda in my opinion . As I said everyone is looking to live forever until they [ I saw ] see a really , really old person being wheeled around on a gurney with intravenous tubes hooked up so that the oldster can catch some fresh air and sunlight on the porch of some old folks home !! -------------------- oh well , just the way the world is going I guess and as long as I have free choice then everything is cool !!

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 am

and , I think that all the articles come from the safety Nazis in England , the land of drinking all the time especially on weekends and holidays . Also England , the land of muslims who don't like the drinking of alcohol .

Return to “Your first forum”