RIP....A/C unit

Description of your first forum.
crocmommy

RIP....A/C unit

Postby crocmommy » Tue May 10, 2016 9:50 am

Well, it is original with our house in 1984 if you can believe that. We have lived in the house since 1990. We have kept it on life support for the last few years by cleaning the coils and putting in a supplemental window unit. But it's dead now. The chances of any unit you buy now surviving 30 years is slim according to the A/C guy. Sad that something that we will have to spend 5 to 6 k on might not last past 10-12 years. Same with kitchen appliances and washer/dryers too. Anyway, doing my best to scrape the cash together as we have already had some expenses this year.

Jami

Re: RIP....A/C unit

Postby Jami » Tue May 10, 2016 9:52 am

Sorry to hear that. Good thing it didn't happen in August.

Orphie

Postby Orphie » Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 am

Yuck. Sorry about that.. I noticed this season I have my settings lower. Not sure if all the humidity with all the rain or I'm just hotter than heck already.
Zephyr thinks he's smart. He said onions are the only food that makes him cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Tue May 10, 2016 3:59 pm

sorry you have to deal with this..

We had an AC man we trusted. He sold the company after a heart attack and I don't care for the new folks. I think they are just money grubbing.
About 2 years ago we had ?? done--(more freon ? I'm not sure) About 2 weeks later the office clerk called and wanted to set up an inspection for the season. I replied, "Seems to me that would have happened on your visit 2 weeks ago." She replied, "Oh!" --but, I don't think she ever called again.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue May 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Your new system will probably pay for itself very quickly with whatever you save on electricity. That was our experience when we replaced ours five or six years ago.

I will give one piece of advice. Do not get hung up on the brand name of your new system. The integrity of your contractor and the quality of his install are the most important factors to consider. Any system can be good and any system can be bad, depending on the installation. Also, don't consider any contractor that doesn't take the time to do a proper heat load calculation on your home. The old "x number of square feet requires a y ton unit" is no longer valid. The amount of insulation, the number of doors and windows, and even the direction those doors and windows face are all factors in properly sizing a new system. Any contractor that sticks his finger in the air and says, "you need a three ton unit" is incompetent in today's industry.

When we bought our new system, I wound up buying from a contractor in the next town 40 miles away. None of the locals made the grade. I've been very happy with my purchase.

Many of the manufacturers will offer twelve months and no interest financing. Ask your contractor about it.
The United States Constitution is under attack by the Democrat/Communist party.

Back by popular request:

Indeed, "All Leftists lack critical thinking skills."

Indeed, "All Leftist males are pussies."

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 pm

One more thing: In order to get full efficiency from these new units, you need to replace the entire system. That would be the condensing (outside) and air handler (inside) units. Resist the temptation to replace just one or the other.

You'll have to pay for new copper lines. The new 410 refrigerant requires a higher volume, and thus larger lines, than the old R-22 did. Anything made from copper these days will give you sticker shock.

Back by popular request:

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Tue May 10, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks for the input Mark. I'm leaving the decisions up to my Husband. I work and just don't have enough time to make the calls and research. I think we are getting a 3.5 ton unit. Can't remember the brand. We are financing about half of the cost for 12 months.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Tue May 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Ditto what Mark said. I went through that a few years ago. It was amazing how much lower the electric bills were after replacing the old unit.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Hubby says....3 ton 16 Seer Lennox with heat pump. We have a small house compared to the monstrosities they build now. Not that I wouldn't like to live in a one of those, but no way could I afford the house payments and everything else that comes with it. My brother bought a house in Frisco that wasn't even 10 years old. He's already had to repair and replace the a/c for his 4000 plus SF house. Doesn't come cheap. The dishwasher was crap and so was the sink. Hard to believe all this for a house that nice. People didn't take care of things is what he said.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue May 10, 2016 7:22 pm

I feel your pain. Replaced my 5-ton unit last summer with a new heat pump. It cost 9 grand, but my heating/cooling bills have been noticeably lower.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Wed May 11, 2016 7:25 am

Mark, we always had great service from an A/c business in Greenville. Our outside thing started screaching when it comes on.
Steve called Parker and a guy came out and said "No problem". Of course, when he left, it started screaching again. Mike is here on a business trip and is calling his guy today. He has rental homes and uses this guy. Steve's pretty sure it's a bearing.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed May 11, 2016 2:19 pm

ann jusko wrote:Mark, we always had great service from an A/c business in Greenville. Our outside thing started screaching when it comes on.
Steve called Parker and a guy came out and said "No problem". Of course, when he left, it started screaching again. Mike is here on a business trip and is calling his guy today. He has rental homes and uses this guy. Steve's pretty sure it's a bearing.

Kenny Parker is a friend of mine. When I mentioned to him that I was in the market for a new system, he didn't act interested in selling me one. I bought from Wood Air Conditioning in Mt. Pleasant.

Back by popular request:

Return to “Your first forum”