Sunday Best

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Sunday Best

Postby LibraryLady » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I predict this expression will very soon disappear from the vocabulary.
First, we have many who don't go to Sunday services anymore.
Secondly--those who do, no longer dress any differently than they do at other times.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

BillB

Re: Sunday Best

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Pride goes before the fall.

Even during the depression when people didn't have enough to eat, they managed to dress for church. You see the old black and white photos of the daddy wearing a tie and the mother wearing a hat.

Trixie

Postby Trixie » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:54 am

Sunday shoes
Sunday school

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:56 am

I think you will see those terms leaving the vocabulary for a lot of reasons.

And we will allow it.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 am

I think "Sunday Best" hasn't been heard since The Beverly Hillbillies.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Maybe so. But our church has the best of both. Some still dress in suits, etc.. some make even me wonder what they are thinking when they get ready. But all are welcomed just the same.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:49 pm

GFB wrote:I think "Sunday Best" hasn't been heard since The Beverly Hillbillies.

It was used in a news story I heard this week and that is what brought it to mind. I heard it used at school when the teachers were trying to get students to understand that an event needed the kids to dress up...

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:08 pm

At some point they will probably rename Sunday because it has religious* connotations.

*Christian

grace

Postby grace » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Went to a funeral recently and was surprised by some that dressed sloppy. At another funeral teenaged girls wore very short skirts, more like you'd see at a party, not a funeral. As a culture we are dressing down now. Recently I've notice several wearing stripes with plaids (like a striped shirt with plaid pants) or plaids with another plaid. At first I noticed this in certain cultural groups (those from India), but now seeing it more often and not within a particular culture. Today, saw a toddler with a nice striped shirt and plaid pants, weren't even color coordinated. Wondering if this "rule" of dress is changing.

FlashM

Postby FlashM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am

Our church asked everyone to wear our new yellow "God's Work; Our Hands" Lutheran tee shirts to worship today. Not only are we dressed-down, we are all in uniform!!
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Our church is currently conducting two shoe drives......one is new shoes for children, the second is gently used shoes for any age (Soles for Souls).
To "celebrate" we are asked to have a barefoot Sunday in July. I'm just not enthusiastic about the barefoot Sunday.
I think I'll wear sandals and remove them for service, if pressured....No bare feet on concrete sidewalk/parking lot for me.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

Sloanmiester

Postby Sloanmiester » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:39 pm

I haven't been too church in years because they are not handicapped accessible. One time when I did go to church, the woman in from of me showed so much cleavage that I had trouble concentrating on the sermon.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Sloanmiester wrote:I haven't been too church in years because they are not handicapped accessible. One time when I did go to church, the woman in from of me showed so much cleavage that I had trouble concentrating on the sermon.

God was testing you.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 pm

LibraryLady wrote:Our church is currently conducting two shoe drives......one is new shoes for children, the second is gently used shoes for any age (Soles for Souls).
To "celebrate" we are asked to have a barefoot Sunday in July. I'm just not enthusiastic about the barefoot Sunday.
I think I'll wear sandals and remove them for service, if pressured....No bare feet on concrete sidewalk/parking lot for me.

Maybe your church is gravitating to footwashing services like the Primitive Baptists.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:59 pm

BillB wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:Our church is currently conducting two shoe drives......one is new shoes for children, the second is gently used shoes for any age (Soles for Souls).

Maybe your church is gravitating to footwashing services like the Primitive Baptists.

BAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:32 am

Slight hijack to this thread...

Sunday best to me means coat and tie. I hate wearing a tie; it is like wearing a collar and leash...

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 am

I refuse to let my girls wear flip flops to church...

Return to “Your first forum”