The Pope and politics

Description of your first forum.
millergrovesue

Re: The Pope and politics

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:29 am

Among the things I admire about Catholicism is its mysticism. It's very hard to explain to someone who hasn't had much interaction with Catholicism but it involves the constant sense of wonder at God and the works he does as well as works done in his name. I think many Catholics would be believers in miracles.

That's also one of the things I so enjoy about Msgr. Don Fischer's homilies. He's in his mid 70s, has been a priest for a very long time. Yet he's is still filled with wonder and joy at the mystery of God's love for us and His desire to be in relationship with all his children.

Many years ago my sister and attended, fairly regularly for awhile, a Wednesday even charismatic Catholic service...........not something one experiences frequently among Catholics. The services were awe inspiring and very beautiful and included a number of congregants who sang in tongues. All attendees were welcome to participate in the Eucharist, not just Catholics, and we did.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am

I've always admired the Catholic church.
I've attended a few masses and I left feeling that I had observed God being worshiped.
A Protestant service leaves me feeling like I've attended a lecture.

Their doctrine of Apostolic Succession has always appealed to me. I have tried to discuss this with Catholic acquaintances and only get blank stares.
Catholics don't seem to know much about their own religion. I have noticed that on this forum.

On the downside for me, are their doctrines concerning Mary. I can't get my mind around them.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:16 am

Yeah, the concept of needing an intercessor is not one I embrace or understand.............but then I've not read the books in the Catholic Bible that don't exist in non Catholic Bibles.

I know back in the "old" days Catholics weren't encouraged to read the Bible. In fact they were told the priests would tell them what they needed to know. It's my understanding that aspect of the church has changed drastically.............as well it should.

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:24 am

millergrovesue wrote:Yeah, the concept of needing an intercessor is not one I embrace or understand.............but then I've not read the books in the Catholic Bible that don't exist in non Catholic Bibles.

I know back in the "old" days Catholics weren't encouraged to read the Bible. In fact they were told the priests would tell them what they needed to know. It's my understanding that aspect of the church has changed drastically.............as well it should.

The intercessor makes a little sense the way Catholics explain it.
We don't mind asking a friend to pray for us. My church even keeps a prayer list of people they ask us to keep in their prayers.
Catholics believe the dead in Christ are in Heaven and can hear us. Catholics don't pray to them, they ask them to pray to the Father for us, just as we ask friends to pray for us.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

millergrovesue wrote:Yeah, the concept of needing an intercessor is not one I embrace or understand.............but then I've not read the books in the Catholic Bible that don't exist in non Catholic Bibles.

I have never heard anyone at any of the Catholic Churches I have attended recommend reading the Bible.

But each week , there are chosen passages that are read.
Last edited by GFB on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:45 am

BillB wrote:I've always admired the Catholic church.
I've attended a few masses and I left feeling that I had observed God being worshiped.

Their doctrine of Apostolic Succession has always appealed to me. I have tried to discuss this with Catholic acquaintances and only get blank stares.
Catholics don't seem to know much about their own religion. I have noticed that on this forum.

On the downside for me, are their doctrines concerning Mary. I can't get my mind around them.

Never heard the term..Apostolic Succession.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:46 am

millergrovesue wrote:Among the things I admire about Catholicism is its mysticism. It's very hard to explain to someone who hasn't had much interaction with Catholicism but it involves the constant sense of wonder at God and the works he does as well as works done in his name. I think many Catholics would be believers in miracles.

That's also one of the things I so enjoy about Msgr. Don Fischer's homilies. He's in his mid 70s, has been a priest for a very long time. Yet he's is still filled with wonder and joy at the mystery of God's love for us and His desire to be in relationship with all his children.

Many years ago my sister and attended, fairly regularly for awhile, a Wednesday even charismatic Catholic service...........not something one experiences frequently among Catholics. The services were awe inspiring and very beautiful and included a number of congregants who sang in tongues. All attendees were welcome to participate in the Eucharist, not just Catholics, and we did.

Never heard anyone in the Catholic Church mention.."mysticism"..and I have no idea to what you refer.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:47 am

..ditto for "intercessor"..sounds like a Sci Fi movie.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 pm

You are going to Hell !!!

Greggo unless you change your evil ways and become an Amateur Theologian :lol:

Seriously, try reading the Bible, start in small doses, you will benefit from the experience.

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Red Oak wrote:You are going to Hell !!!

Greggo unless you change your evil ways and become an Amateur Theologian :lol:

Seriously, try reading the Bible, start in small doses, you will benefit from the experience.

I'm just trying to explain to the people here that have "read" about Catholicism..they are learning the things that Priests, Bishops, and Cardinals have studied. They are not the things that are conveyed or taught to Catholics when they attend Church.

..oh yes..and Catholics like to drink.

Beer and Margaritas are basically Holy Sacraments.

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 pm

GFB wrote:

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.
Apostolic Succession is the backbone of the Church's claim of being the original church that Christ established.
It is where priests got the power to forgive sin. It's where the papacy came from.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm

BillB wrote:
GFB wrote:

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.
Apostolic Succession is the backbone of the Church's claim of being the original church that Christ established.
It is where priests got the power to forgive sin. It's where the papacy came from.

Ok, I believe you.

If you want to know what being a Catholic is like..go to a mass..and go to their yearly festivals.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Catholic masses are very repetitive..very little changes throughout the year..and also year to year.

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:13 pm

GFB wrote:Ok, I believe you.

If you want to know what being a Catholic is like..go to a mass..and go to their yearly festivals.

My son's a Catholic. He married a Catholic and converted. I've been to a couple of masses with them. I've never been to one of the festivals.
My neighbor's been bugging me to go the the Knights of Columbus with him. I never have.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Knights of Columbus shindigs are great :D

I am a never Hillaryite!

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Red Oak wrote:Knights of Columbus shindigs are great :D

So he tells me.
I'll have to go to one.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Red Oak wrote:Knights of Columbus shindigs are great :D

As a kid I played in a band that did a lot of those.

Catholics definitely know how to "party."

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:29 pm

The intercessor makes a little sense the way Catholics explain it.
We don't mind asking a friend to pray for us. My church even keeps a prayer list of people they ask us to keep in their prayers.
Catholics believe the dead in Christ are in Heaven and can hear us. Catholics don't pray to them, they ask them to pray to the Father for us, just as we ask friends to pray for us.

Yeah, there is certainly a lot of intercessory prayer in a number of denominations. But the concept that you must ask an intercessor to pray for you makes no sense at all to me. Then there is that lighting candles and paying money to get the dead into heaven. That too makes no sense to this good little Baptist girl.

Greg, I don't know how to explain mysticism adequately and some aspects of Catholic mysticism I don't buy (like bestowing the title of saint on one who has been dead for a long time, or keeping bones in a box (reliquaries) and praying to them) but the general beliefs in (borowed quote) "God's power for transforming the world through ordinary lives lived in union with God." is inspiring. There are plenty of examples of Catholics who did remarkable things because of their amazing faith. The Catholic church refers to mystics and mysticism frequently. Here's a link to a rather long article on the subject. http://www.catholic.org/news/hf/faith/s ... p?id=49563 That's about the best I can do.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:23 pm

"Then there is that lighting candles and paying money to get the dead into heaven."

While I'm well aware of the lighting of candles for the deceased, I've never heard or was taught that this is how they get into heaven.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

"Catholics don't pray to them, they ask them to pray to the Father for us, just as we ask friends to pray for us."

Not really understanding this..you're saying Catholics ask the deceased to pray for us, the living?

No, I've never heard anything like that either.

Return to “Your first forum”