What would you do?

Description of your first forum.
planosteve

Re: What would you do?

Postby planosteve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Sangersteve wrote:I would much rather have 10 silver dimes, so I could load them up and drive them to Dallas where I could sell them for about 6 dollars. Never mind that it would cost me two hours of my time and about 12 dollars worth of fuel.

If the merchant happens to receive those same 10 dimes in an exchange, you will get a dollars worth of merchandise, and if he were lucky enough to notice those 10 dimes he too would get that 6 bucks worth of value, however if he missed them he gets a dollar when they are deposited.

I'd be willing to bet you could sell them right there in Sanger to the teller at almost any bank or financial institution.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Sangersteve wrote:I would much rather have 10 silver dimes, so I could load them up and drive them to Dallas where I could sell them for about 6 dollars. Never mind that it would cost me two hours of my time and about 12 dollars worth of fuel.

If the merchant happens to receive those same 10 dimes in an exchange, you will get a dollars worth of merchandise, and if he were lucky enough to notice those 10 dimes he too would get that 6 bucks worth of value, however if he missed them he gets a dollar when they are deposited.

Which is a very polite but round about way to say.."Steve's full of it."
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Plano is absolutely correct that silver or gold coins, as a commodity, are worth much more than their face value, however I don't think you'll do much precious metal trading at a local bank.

The other thing is, I can't remember the last time I got a silver coin in change,maybe 10 years ago.

In the mid 70's I was in the vending business in Houston,we encountered a lot of coins. Even way back then people held on to silver coins, it was a rare day when we passed real silver through the counting machine. You knew it when it hit the counter from the sound.

When we caught it we had a special column on the count sheet. At the end of each month we would sell it for face value to the driver who collected it, if that driver didn't want it, management was allowed to buy it.

A big month for silver 40 years ago was 20 bucks.

I would bet that there is next to zero silver in todays coin system.

Full disclosure, I got tired of holding silver back when it was around 8 bucks an ounce, sold close to 40 lbs.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Sangersteve wrote:Plano is absolutely correct that silver or gold coins, as a commodity, are worth much more than their face value, however I don't think you'll do much precious metal trading at a local bank.

No, Steve says gold is money..and silver is money. They're not.

Yes, we all know that a quarter made of pure silver is technically "worth" more than one that's copper or tin, or whatever they are.

..but if you go spend that silver quarter in a store..it's worth a quarter.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:30 am

GIB you have an the weirdest obsession about other people liking precious metals. Don't like it? Fine! Don't buy it.

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 am

ann jusko wrote:GIB you have an the weirdest obsession about other people liking precious metals. Don't like it? Fine! Don't buy it.

I'm with one with the weird obsession?

We are not discussing buying gold..yet you can't get that fact off your mind.

Re read what I just wrote, and tell me what was wrong.

Steve DOES think gold is money.

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:49 am

dublusk wrote:You're gonna leave Obama care intact??

doing away with welfare programs is not very popular
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

Bob Of Burleson

Obama Enlists 9 Allies to Help in the Battle Against ISIS

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:50 am

By HELENE COOPER
The New York Times

NEWPORT, Wales — President Obama escalated the American response to the marauding Islamic State in Iraq and Syria on Friday, recruiting at least nine allies to help crush the organization and offering the outlines of a coordinated military strategy that echoes the war on terror developed by his predecessor, George W. Bush, more than a decade ago.

In his most expansive comments to date about how the United States and its friends could defeat ISIS, a once-obscure group of Sunni militants that has now upended the Middle East and overshadowed Al Qaeda, Mr. Obama said the effort would rely on American airstrikes against its leaders and positions, strengthen the moderate Syrian rebel groups to reclaim ground lost to ISIS, and enlist friendly governments in the region to join the fight.

While the president’s aides maintained that he has not yet decided to authorize airstrikes in Syria — which he has already done on a limited basis in Iraq — Mr. Obama likened his developing strategy on ISIS to the American effort against Al Qaeda in Pakistan’s tribal regions, which has relied heavily on airstrikes.

. . .

Mr. Obama spoke after aides had unveiled what Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel called the “core coalition” to fight the ISIS militants, the outcome of a hastily organized meeting on the sidelines of the NATO summit talks. Diplomats and defense officials from the United States, Britain, France, Australia, Canada, Germany, Turkey, Italy, Poland and Denmark huddled to devise a two-pronged strategy: strengthening allies on the ground in Iraq and Syria, while bombing Sunni militants from the air.

MORE

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 am

Quarters and dimes are composed of cupro-nickel clad, with a pure copper core, and an outer layer of a 75 percent copper, 25 percent nickel alloy. Nickels are made from the same 75-25 alloy, and the cent, once a copper coin, is now composed of copper plated zinc.

— U.S. Mint

Return to “Your first forum”