Let's get rid of High School Sports

Description of your first forum.
FlashM

Re: Let's get rid of High School Sports

Postby FlashM » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm not a fan of sports. I would have agreed that we should get rid of most sports and band in junior high and high schools before I saw the value of them for our sons.

They absorbed skills they'll need all their life that are not taught in academics and Scouting.
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:06 pm

There is no reason to have sports in school.
You can involve your kids in sports through Little League, The YMACA/YWCA , Pop Warner football and other organizations.

FlashM

Postby FlashM » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Those would suffice for athletics, but there is something unique about playing for the glory of your home town or school.
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:47 pm

FlashM wrote:Those would suffice for athletics, but there is something unique about playing for the glory of your home town or school.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. No problem. You're safe. Sports won't leave the public schools on our lifetimes. It is too engrained in public opinion.

bodine

Postby bodine » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:52 pm

BillB wrote:There is no reason to have sports in school.
You can involve your kids in sports through Little League, The YMACA/YWCA , Pop Warner football and other organizations.

I'm not going to change your opinion. But I'll tell you a little fact, courtesy of my wife, who has coached in high school and jr. high for 33 years. Girls who are involved in athletics rarely get pregnant. You can't say the same for the rest of the female student population...

Are you going to get rid of band, orchestra, choir, drama, and all the other extracurricular stuff. Because if sports doesn't have any redeeming qualities, neither do these...

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:17 pm

bodine wrote:
BillB wrote:There is no reason to have sports in school.

I'm not going to change your opinion. But I'll tell you a little fact, courtesy of my wife, who has coached in high school and jr. high for 33 years. Girls who are involved in athletics rarely get pregnant. You can't say the same for the rest of the female student population...

Are you going to get rid of band, orchestra, choir, drama, and all the other extracurricular stuff. Because if sports doesn't have any redeeming qualities, neither do these...

Yes, I would get rid of all of it.
As long as our kids can't count and believe the Sun revolves around the Earth, there is no time for extracurricular stuff.

Jami

Postby Jami » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:37 pm

I didn't play sports in HS but I was in band. I learned a lot more than how to read music and play a clarinet. I learned discipline, pride, teamwork, dedication and WORK ETHIC. My time in the band help to shape me into what I am today. I don't think I would've gotten all of that from just the classroom.

I don't remember any of my teachers having a lasting impact on me but my band directors sure did.

Return to “Your first forum”