Final reading on third quarter GDP..

Description of your first forum.
planosteve

Re: Final reading on third quarter GDP..

Postby planosteve » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:06 am

GFB wrote:I don't get it.

Is there some pain or extreme discomfort involved in acknowledging that GDP grew nicely in the 3rd quarter?
Yes, if it's a lie.
More:
And Tyler Durden breaks it down well enough in Here Is The Reason For The “Surge” In Q3 GDP (delayed health-care spending stats make up for 2/3 of the 5%), but still. I would have hoped that more Americans had clued in to the nonsense that has been behind such numbers for many years now. The US has been buying whatever growth politicians can squeeze out of the data and their manipulation, for many years. The entire world has.

The 5% stat is portrayed as being due to increased consumer spending. But most of that is health-care related. And economies don’t grow because people increase spending on not being sick and/or miserable. That’s just an accounting trick. The economy doesn’t get better if we all drive our cars into a tree, even if GDP numbers would say otherwise.

All the MSM headlines about consumer confidence and comfort and all that, it doesn’t square with the 43 million US citizens condemned to living on food stamps. I remember Halloween spending (I know, that’s Q4) was down an atrocious -11%, but the Q3 GDP print was +5%? Why would anyone volunteer to believe that? Do they all feel so bad any sliver of ‘good news’ helps? Are we really that desperate?

http://www.theautomaticearth.com/you-thought-the-saudis-were-kidding/
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:21 am

planosteve wrote:
GFB wrote:I don't get it.

Is there some pain or extreme discomfort involved in acknowledging that GDP grew nicely in the 3rd quarter?
Yes, if it's a lie.
More:
And Tyler Durden breaks it down well enough in Here Is The Reason For The “Surge” In Q3 GDP (delayed health-care spending stats make up for 2/3 of the 5%), but still. I would have hoped that more Americans had clued in to the nonsense that has been behind such numbers for many years now. The US has been buying whatever growth politicians can squeeze out of the data and their manipulation, for many years. The entire world has.

The 5% stat is portrayed as being due to increased consumer spending. But most of that is health-care related. And economies don’t grow because people increase spending on not being sick and/or miserable. That’s just an accounting trick. The economy doesn’t get better if we all drive our cars into a tree, even if GDP numbers would say otherwise.

All the MSM headlines about consumer confidence and comfort and all that, it doesn’t square with the 43 million US citizens condemned to living on food stamps. I remember Halloween spending (I know, that’s Q4) was down an atrocious -11%, but the Q3 GDP print was +5%? Why would anyone volunteer to believe that? Do they all feel so bad any sliver of ‘good news’ helps? Are we really that desperate?

http://www.theautomaticearth.com/you-thought-the-saudis-were-kidding/

But you made up the part about increased consumer spending was on health care..whatever THAT means.

I'm quite sure increased health care costs would REDUCE consumer spending..like increased gas prices do.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:25 am

Hmm..good news about the economy..which means good news for the stock market..job security..people being better able to afford the things they need..and greatly lessens the chance for a recession anytime soon..

..pisses people off...good luck!!!

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:32 am

AP reported this yesterday;

For the third quarter, consumer spending grew at a 3.2 percent annual rate, the best showing this year and a full percentage point above the government's estimate a month ago. The upward revision was driven by higher spending on health care.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... mic-growth
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:51 am

John in Plano wrote:AP reported this yesterday;

For the third quarter, consumer spending grew at a 3.2 percent annual rate, the best showing this year and a full percentage point above the government's estimate a month ago. The upward revision was driven by higher spending on health care.

You left out the important parts.

"Fueled by hiring gains, cheaper gas and rising confidence, consumers and businesses drove growth to a sizzling 5 percent annual rate last quarter. Though the economy is likely cooling a bit, its solid pace is brightening hopes for 2015.

The economic strength could also shape the Federal Reserve's timetable for raising interest rates from record lows.

The government's third and final estimate of growth for the July-September period was the strongest for any quarter in 11 years. The result cheered investors. In midafternoon trading, the Dow Jones industrial average was up about 93 points to 18,053, the first time it's traded above 18,000."

The final revision showed an increase in health care spending...but that was not what the bulk of increase in consumer spending was all about.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:41 am

GFB wrote:
John in Plano wrote:AP reported this yesterday;

You left out the important parts.

"Fueled by hiring gains, cheaper gas and rising confidence, consumers and businesses drove growth to a sizzling 5 percent annual rate last quarter. Though the economy is likely cooling a bit, its solid pace is brightening hopes for 2015.

The economic strength could also shape the Federal Reserve's timetable for raising interest rates from record lows.

The government's third and final estimate of growth for the July-September period was the strongest for any quarter in 11 years. The result cheered investors. In midafternoon trading, the Dow Jones industrial average was up about 93 points to 18,053, the first time it's traded above 18,000."

The final revision showed an increase in health care spending...but that was not what the bulk of increase in consumer spending was all about.
Oh yes it was. It was 2/3. I just posted it. "Here Is The Reason For The “Surge” In Q3 GDP (delayed health-care spending stats make up for 2/3 of the 5%"

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 am

From now on..all of my threads that show good economic news will be titled..."More bad economic news!"

..that way no one will be offended.

Bad economic news will be titled..."Now THIS is more like it!"

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:18 pm

From now on..all of my threads that show good economic news will be titled..."More bad economic news!"

Well, at least you will be correct most of the time. :D

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Has Rush postulated on health care spending increase being good for gdp ?
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:40 pm

John in Plano wrote:Has Rush postulated on health care spending increase being good for gdp ?

I really don't think I've ever heard Rush speak about GDP on any level.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:08 pm

planosteve wrote:

Well, at least you will be correct most of the time. :D

Was there ever a month, year or decade in which you said..

..."Man! ..things sure are great, aren't they?"

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:23 am

Well?

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:53 pm

GFB wrote:Well?
Well, yes, the 50's were OK.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:38 pm

planosteve wrote:
GFB wrote:Well?
Well, yes, the 50's were OK.

Wow..65 years of misery since we were last just "ok."

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:43 pm

There really hasn't been a good year since the Keynesians at the FED took over. They have sucked over 95% of the value out of the US dollar and left us 18 trillion in debt without any means of ever paying it back.

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:38 am

planosteve wrote:There really hasn't been a good year since the Keynesians at the FED took over. They have sucked over 95% of the value out of the US dollar and left us 18 trillion in debt without any means of ever paying it back.

The Fed controls your whole life.

Return to “Your first forum”