Did you watch pro wrestling as a youngster?

Description of your first forum.
BigTex

Re: Did you watch pro wrestling as a youngster?

Postby BigTex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Back in my gym rat days in the 80s I would go work out on Sunday mornings. Gino Hernandez was there often. And then he died.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Wahoo McDaniel was my favorite.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:45 am

bodine wrote:As a kid we watched the Saturday night wrestling on KTVT; mainly because that was the only interesting thing on TV.

About the only wrester I remember was Ivan Putski...

Ah yes. During interviews, he would always say, "televisia!" like he was amazed to be on TV. He also burped once to be funny, and Dan Coats scolded him for it.

So yes, I watched wrestling as a kid. My favorite was the great Mils Mascaras.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:56 am

No, never watched it. But when I was the Youth Director at Emory United Methodist Church, we asked one young man with Down Syndrome to join our youth group. That was the BEST thing we ever did. He had been in programs in Florida. His father was a pilot for Braniff, retired and moved back to the family ranch. Reed was in his early 30's and there was just nothing for him in Emory so we asked him to join. Once a week, he would watch wrestling and have a beer. He got so wrapped up in the Von Ericks (sp?). None of the youth were interested in wrestling but Reed was so wrapped up in it. One Sunday, the kids were buzzing because the Von Ericks were coming to Mineola. "Can we take Reed?" Well, what an evening it was. The kids had so much fun helping Reed stand on a chair to watch. His enthusiasm was so contagious. My older son and George taught him how to help with communion. He became such an asset to our church and was loved by all. He died unexpectedly when the older kids were in college. All of them came back for his funeral. To this day, I get a Christmas card from his mother thanking me and asking me to let the kids know that she still treasures them for making Reed so happy. Nope, no thanks needed, we all loved Reed!

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 am

Of course I was a Fritz von Erich fan, but my favorite early rivalry was Billy Red Lyons against the Destroyer.

truep

Postby truep » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:12 am

Not much wrestling, but on Sunday nights we would buy a case of beer ( a bunch of friends) and watch Roller Derby. (with the queen of the roller derby!)

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:59 pm

an aside........
Kevin Von Erich was in my 5th grade class when I was a student teacher.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I don't watch wrestling much anymore, but watching all the flopping going on at the World Cup is vaguely familiar.

Allen

Postby Allen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:09 pm

LibraryLady wrote:an aside........

Someone (can't remember who) on the old board mentioned that the Von Erichs were basically no good brats as children. Anything stick out about Kevin when he was in your class?

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Shouldn't it be called "wraslin"?

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Allen wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:an aside........

Someone (can't remember who) on the old board mentioned that the Von Erichs were basically no good brats as children. Anything stick out about Kevin when he was in your class?

He was a nice quiet kid....very normal........

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:10 pm

I remember wrestling on TV from the very early 50's in black and white " live from the sportatoriun in Dallas" There were several who caught my attention, but my favorite was a character named PEPPER GOMEZ.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:18 pm

glenn/dallas wrote:I remember wrestling on TV from the very early 50's in black and white " live from the sportatoriun in Dallas" There were several who caught my attention, but my favorite was a character named PEPPER GOMEZ.

He was popular in the Houston market also.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

Return to “Your first forum”