Description of your first forum.
ralph

Re: cop pepper sprays motorist , flipped cop the finger

Postby ralph » Fri May 22, 2015 6:59 pm

good reasoning Greg !!

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sat May 23, 2015 11:34 am

GFB wrote:I seem to be the only living Conservative Republican that really hates the cops.

I've never had a "bad" experience with a cop in my life. Cops where I grew up were more like a private security force, and they were extremely polite and respectful to residents. First time I ever got stopped by a cop, he told me that my brake lights were out, told me not to stop suddenly on my way home (to avoid being rear-ended), and to be sure to get them fixed immediately, then told me to be careful and have a nice day. I'm polite to them, and they are polite to me.

Of course, I have never intentionally provoked them to see if they know all the fine details of Supreme Court rulings protecting my Constitutional rights to act like an a-hole.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat May 23, 2015 11:37 am

Next time you go to your dentist for a filling or a crown, start out by shooting him the finger and then quiz him on his knowledge of dentistry.

Good luck.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat May 23, 2015 12:00 pm

same experience as JW but I think that the problem is mostly big cities and time eras . As an older guy I know what you say is true but that was small town living in the 60s through 80s but its different in big cities in my opinion . Big cities are the places where most news is made , check out Cleveland and whats happening today . I just heard on the news that crowds were gathering .

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 pm

GFB wrote:
scarlett~nc wrote:David Cruickshank, a Connecticut police officer and CEO of the Law Enforcement Research Group, told FoxNews.com. "Most get into this line of work for their love of their community.”

Sorry, but I think that's a b.s. Statement on his part.

Cops, teachers, government workers of all types do what they do for the money, like the rest of us.

And in their case, it's also for the "I can't be fired..and I'll be able to quit early in life with a cushy pension that the public can only dream about."

And they may not set out to be bullies, but that's what most of them turn into.

Maybe not in the country, but where most people live and work..yes, I think that's the way it is.

I can't say authoritatively why other people choose specific careers, but I always recommend that people choose careers where they can make money at what they love doing. I'm not retiring because of the money, I'm retiring because the job is changing (to things I hate doing), the head of the department is retiring, which would mean even more work for me (I've trained everyone in the department; I would have to train the new person, too), and because of my level of competence, I am already being worked into an early grave. I increasingly don't love what I'm being required to do, and I don't want to get to a point where I don't want to get up and go to work in the morning (that's been happening this year at an increasing rate). I am very lucky that the Texas teacher retirement system is one of the best-managed pension programs in the nation, and I'm able to retire without taking money from current workers or future generations.

One thing that is often different about educators, though, is that many of us take on additional responsibilities for no additional pay or reward, other than intrinsic ones. Club sponsors, for example, do not receive any pay for the extra afternoon, evenings, or even weekend time they put in. In good schools like ours, there are lots of people doing that.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat May 23, 2015 12:05 pm

lots of mounted cops in Cleveland getting ready to do 'something' , just heard on FOX !!

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm

jellowrestling wrote:I've never had a "bad" experience with a cop in my life. Cops where I grew up were more like a private security force, and they were extremely polite and respectful to residents. First time I ever got stopped by a cop, he told me that my brake lights were out, told me not to stop suddenly on my way home (to avoid being rear-ended), and to be sure to get them fixed immediately, then told me to be careful and have a nice day. I'm polite to them, and they are polite to me.

Of course, I have never intentionally provoked them to see if they know all the fine details of Supreme Court rulings protecting my Constitutional rights to act like an a-hole.

BigTex wrote:Next time you go to your dentist for a filling or a crown, start out by shooting him the finger and then quiz him on his knowledge of dentistry.

Good luck.

Exactly and well said, both of you.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 2:29 pm

BigTex wrote:Next time you go to your dentist for a filling or a crown, start out by shooting him the finger and then quiz him on his knowledge of dentistry.

Good luck.

I do not see even the beginnings of an analogy here.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Sat May 23, 2015 2:33 pm

GFB wrote:
scarlett~nc wrote:David Cruickshank, a Connecticut police officer and CEO of the Law Enforcement Research Group, told FoxNews.com. "Most get into this line of work for their love of their community.”

Cops, teachers, government workers of all types do what they do for the money, like the rest of us.

And in their case, it's also for the "I can't be fired..and I'll be able to quit early in life with a cushy pension that the public can only dream about."

I can't think of a single person I know personally who chose their job for the money. Most chose it because they found the work interesting and/or wanted to make a positive contribution to this world. And it's a good thing because most haven't been rewarded very highly financially but have been rewarded amazingly well emotionally and intellectually.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 2:34 pm

A dentist is someone I have chosen to pay a large sum of money to because I personally need his help..today only.

I do not call policemen to make an appointment for me to pay them lots of money to give me a speeding ticket.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 2:40 pm

millergrovesue wrote:
GFB wrote:

I can't think of a single person I know personally who chose their job for the money. Most chose it because they found the work interesting and/or wanted to make a positive contribution to this world. And it's a good thing because most haven't been rewarded very highly financially but have been rewarded amazingly well emotionally and intellectually.

So everyone you know doesn't really care about making money?

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 2:45 pm

I've never known a soul who doesn't go to work every day to make money.

No question, it really helps to like your work..I've always enjoyed mine..but I do not and would not do it for nothing..I also would not do it if I believed I was not being paid what I think I'm worth...and that means it's about the money.

I don't understand people who find it difficult to say that.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Sat May 23, 2015 3:01 pm

What you said is that people do it for the money. That implies money is the only motivator in choosing a specific job which I'm saying is not the case for those I know and love. One great example is my sister who, for years, did a job she believed was what God wanted her to be doing and that was a service to others. She willingly lived below the poverty line because she believed so much in what she was doing. She has now remarried (3 years ago) and her life is easier financially but her work and her goals have not changed.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 3:08 pm

millergrovesue wrote:What you said is that people do it for the money. That implies money is the only motivator in choosing a specific job which I'm saying is not the case for those I know and love. One great example is my sister who, for years, did a job she believed was what God wanted her to be doing and that was a service to others. She willingly lived below the poverty line because she believed so much in what she was doing. She has now remarried (3 years ago) and her life is easier financially but her work and her goals have not changed.

Ok, and you don't think.."I'm doing this job because it's what God wants me to do even though it pays poorly"..is sort of an exception as opposed to the rule?

scarlett~nc

Postby scarlett~nc » Sat May 23, 2015 3:09 pm

GFB wrote:A dentist is someone I have chosen to pay a large sum of money to because I personally need his help..today only.

I do not call policemen to make an appointment for me to pay them lots of money to give me a speeding ticket.

don't speed, don't run from cops , do what they ask you do to if stopped ..obey the law they won't even look at you twice.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 3:11 pm

scarlett~nc wrote:
GFB wrote:A dentist is someone I have chosen to pay a large sum of money to because I personally need his help..today only.

don't speed, don't run from cops , do what they ask you do to if stopped ..obey the law they won't even look at you twice.

Yes, that's what I'm going for..I was just pointing out why the cop/dentist analogy was not on the "money."

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 3:13 pm

millergrovesue wrote:What you said is that people do it for the money. That implies money is the only motivator in choosing a specific job which I'm saying is not the case for those I know and love. One great example is my sister who, for years, did a job she believed was what God wanted her to be doing and that was a service to others. She willingly lived below the poverty line because she believed so much in what she was doing. She has now remarried (3 years ago) and her life is easier financially but her work and her goals have not changed.

Here is what I said...

"Cops, teachers, government workers of all types do what they do for the money, like the rest of us."

I think as a general statement..that holds water.

You can find a Mother Theresa or two out there if you really look around.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat May 23, 2015 3:21 pm

I think thats correct Greg , can't add anymore to what you've previously said in your above posts . Same goes for most gov jobs like teachers, firemen etc , etc .

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Sat May 23, 2015 4:03 pm

GFB wrote:You can find a Mother Theresa or two out there if you really look around.

I don't know any Mother Theresas but I do know a lot of good decent people who do what they do as a service to others. Yes, we all need money to survive but I'm so glad I know so many for whom money isn't the primary motivator.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 pm

millergrovesue wrote:
GFB wrote:You can find a Mother Theresa or two out there if you really look around.

I don't know any Mother Theresas but I do know a lot of good decent people who do what they do as a service to others. Yes, we all need money to survive but I'm so glad I know so many for whom money isn't the primary motivator.

Ok, I may have known a person or two like that..but that's usually called an "avocation"..(or perhaps a hobby)..as opposed to a "vocation."

Pretty much all the good and decent people I know, do what they do to make money.

Return to “Your first forum”