Re: What Is Racism

Postby BigTex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Oh please.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:17 pm

millergrovesue wrote:
mayhem wrote:
But that kind of comparison is still purty bad. I can't think of a single thing that could be compared with ISIS.

Yep, purty bad. I hardly think sanding a mountain could be compared to cutting off heads and bombings.

That's what I'm thinking!!!
All Life is Feudal

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:26 pm

BigTex wrote:You are aware that when ISIS isn't beheading people they are destroying monuments and artifacts that offend them? It's part of the package.
g

You are aware that when ISIS is beheading human beings, killing Cn babies, and wiping out monuments; it is beheading human beings, killing Cn babies and wiping out monuments, right?

It's OK to make that charge bec it's true. But there's no way speaking/writing about ISIS that is OK to say 'they destroying monuments' while ignoring what the are mainly and
accurately doing.

I can't figure out why you appear to think it is OK. It may be part of the package but way, way not what they are widely and justifiably known for.
All Life is Feudal

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:31 pm

millergrovesue wrote:Looks like y'all have succeeded in running CD off. Hope you are proud of yourselves. I shared some PMs with him. He's a really decent man. Shame on you all who treated him so poorly from his very first post. He would have never become "offensive" had y'all not been so blatantly hostile right up front.

Damn! I'm really sorry to hear about that.

It's almost like half of me is suddenly not here.

TDOW

Hope this is not taken as being at CD's expense.
These absurd accusations are both amazing and getting old.
All Life is Feudal

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm

GFB wrote:
Red Oak wrote:It is an uncomfortable.

Most of us in America would not be here; if not for some really bad stuff that happened else where. '

Very true.

If not for extreme poverty brought on by the potato famine and persecution/subjugation by the English..my ancestors would most likely never have come.

Are you suggesting that the ancestors of members of the NAACP came here from a bad situation willingly to a much better set of circumstances?
All Life is Feudal

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:05 pm

mayhem wrote:
GFB wrote:
Red Oak wrote:It is an uncomfortable.

Most of us in America would not be here; if not for some really bad stuff that happened else where. '

Very true.

If not for extreme poverty brought on by the potato famine and persecution/subjugation by the English..my ancestors would most likely never have come.

Are you suggesting that the ancestors of members of the NAACP came here from a bad situation willingly to a much better set of circumstances?

No..I'm suggesting that they're as lucky as I am to be here, regardless of what circumstances brought their ancestors here..or how those ancestors were treated after getting here. The Irish weren' treated all that well after arriving either.

Life in Ireland today is a lot better than life in West Africa.

That means black Americans have as many or more reasons to celebrate being here than I do.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:19 pm

millergrovesue wrote:Looks like y'all have succeeded in running CD off. Hope you are proud of yourselves. I shared some PMs with him. He's a really decent man. Shame on you all who treated him so poorly from his very first post. He would have never become "offensive" had y'all not been so blatantly hostile right up front.

Naw, Sue, I'm a lot more difficult to run off than that. I've just been busy the last couple of days...and I did promise not to comment on the posts on this thread. That was a bit hard at times.

I'm not sure why I am considered so "offensive". I have tried very hard to be civil and polite...even when I didn't want to be. I don't use profanity, I don't engage in more than casual name-calling but, I do not agree with many of the opinions posted and say as much...and why. Is that the problem, I go out of my way to explain why I believe as I do and I am not apologetic. Beyond that, I know I hurt toes feeling and I truly regret that. But, the others (like Jellow who says I am on ignore) were openly hostile and rude. They got a very muted response but not submissive...which seems to be the community expectation.

Not much interesting stuff at the moment any way. I'm thinking of opening a cooking thread. I have this awesome recipe for green beans wrapped in bacon and glazed with a sweet soy glaze. Interested?

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:04 pm

When you stroll in a park and come across a Pug..do you react the same as when confronted by a pitbull or Rottweiler..some of this is just dumb.

Yes, the pitbull could be sweet and the pug could be mean..but you are more cautious with one of them..that's just common sense.[/quote]

In life we come in contact with people. If you claim that there is a visually identifiably dangerous group simply strolling in the park, one of whom you have decided must be dangerous, how is that not discrimination/racism/prejudice?

I'm not saying it's unacceptable to be cautious. When you look at people there's little way that a glance will show you potential danger as their definitely is with Pitbulls. You can't know a Pit Bull's heart just like you cannot determine a gaggle of people.

And I agree with you ... some of your example is just, well, dumb.[/quote]

I was using the dog analogy for the sensitive types around here..I see I need to be more blunt.

The overwhelming majority of violent crime, is not done by the 75% of people that are white.

It is done by the 12% of people that are black.

That means only an idiot reacts the same when approached by a group of black males at night the same way they react to a group of white males.

Stop the tolerance charade..get real..and you will find yourself a person that can discuss matters like this in a civilized matter.

Rather than discuss, you'd just rather call everyone racist
..that's very weak and very lame.[/quote]

Missed this several times thru. No, I do not want to 'call everyone racist'.

I'm saying we all have grown up in a racist time and place. We have all breathed racism and we have
been guided/shaped/influenced by those who were ignorant and bigoted.

You are very wrong about me. I do not want to call names are make simple/ez arguments. I do
want to discuss 'things' and bec I have a very specific point of view ... take a look back at this
thread. At every point I have argued/discussed issues. I don't take the ez way and I am not weak.

But it is the case that I think we are all to some degree racist. I don't think it's possible for any of
us not to be. I believe that we can all transcend our influences and many of us have been able to
do that.

With respect I will energetically assert that my comments have been anything but lame and
weak. I might be wrong, but I'm not anyplace near that other stuff and I think you know that.
All Life is Feudal

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 pm

You make a big mistake saying we're all racist..or have been..or were raised that way.

I accept that you were or you are if that is what you are trying to say.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:33 pm

When we started putting him on "ignore", he lost his race card. His arrogance and personal insults were too much, but the clincher was his propensity to tell everyone what their opinions and motivations are. I can't stand that, and refuse to participate in that sort of "discussion". If I want someone else to tell me what my opinions are, I'll ask my wife.

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm

jellowrestling wrote:

When we started putting him on "ignore", he lost his race card. His arrogance and personal insults were too much, but the clincher was his propensity to tell everyone what their opinions and motivations are. I can't stand that, and refuse to participate in that sort of "discussion". If I want someone else to tell me what my opinions are, I'll ask my wife.

Hey, Sue, would you see what he means by race card...just kidding. I would be interested to know how many people "we" constitutes.

One of the nice things about being on ignore is being able to comment on a vicious personal attack like this without having to put up with any more of it. The people that I am relatively certain have me on ignore are significantly more arrogant and inclined to name-call than I have ever been anywhere. I will admit to being frank about what I think peoples opinions and motivations are. I am also willing to admit if I am wrong. But, if what you are saying is consistent to my mind I will admit it.

One of the problems I have with Conservatives in general and these specific Conservatives is their inability to distinguish between there OPINIONS and reality. Nor are they willing to tolerate or even considered conflicting information or opinion.

Personally, I believe that people that use ignore are admitting they have no meaningful way to dispute someone's positions. The same applies to argumentum ad hominem attacks in their various manifestations. If you are insulting someone you aren't addressing the issue in question...this suggests the other guy knows he is wrong and beat. Generally, when someone strikes their colors or abandons the field it is a sign they are defeated...except here where it is some sort of courageous stand to refuse to hear what you don't want to or you refuse to defend your own positions because...what, you aren't sure or are so repulsed by disagreement?

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:32 pm

..or maybe they are just not worth the person's time.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:25 am

jellowrestling wrote:

Go back and read the threads beginning when CD came here. Some of you, specifically the usual pot stirrer Red Oak, were nasty from his very first post. Then the rest of the crowd piled on. Sheeeeeeeeesssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh. Don't take my word for it. Go back and read the posts.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:32 am

Castle Doctrine wrote:Hey, Sue, would you see what he means by race card...just kidding. I would be interested to know how many people "we" constitutes.

One of the nice things about being on ignore is being able to comment on a vicious personal attack like this without having to put up with any more of it. The people that I am relatively certain have me on ignore are significantly more arrogant and inclined to name-call than I have ever been anywhere. I will admit to being frank about what I think peoples opinions and motivations are. I am also willing to admit if I am wrong. But, if what you are saying is consistent to my mind I will admit it.

One of the problems I have with Conservatives in general and these specific Conservatives is their inability to distinguish between there OPINIONS and reality. Nor are they willing to tolerate or even considered conflicting information or opinion.

Personally, I believe that people that use ignore are admitting they have no meaningful way to dispute someone's positions. The same applies to argumentum ad hominem attacks in their various manifestations. If you are insulting someone you aren't addressing the issue in question...this suggests the other guy knows he is wrong and beat. Generally, when someone strikes their colors or abandons the field it is a sign they are defeated...except here where it is some sort of courageous stand to refuse to hear what you don't want to or you refuse to defend your own positions because...what, you aren't sure or are so repulsed by disagreement?

Okay, first - I'm glad you aren't gone. Another member PM'd me saying there was regret at not defending you and that your input was/is appreciated. Takes a decent person to say that kind of thing.

I was just reading this when I was contemplating hatred of others. Certainly applies here.
A wide variety of errors in reasoning allow us to sustain hate.

Hatred - Errors in Reasoning
Common stereotypes include a variety of overgeneralizations about members of a group based on race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, or religious belief, along with profession and social class. These can create distorted and exaggerated negative images of the members of particular groups. This dehumanizes and demonizes “the other” and invites hate.

Misattributing benign behavior to evil intent can make us suspicious and fearful of others. Choosing to hate is an ineffective shortcut that avoids the hard work of analyzing the problem in depth. It attributes blame incorrectly.

Egocentrism, the unshakable belief that “I am correct”, self-justification, and the need to be right leads us too quickly to the conclusion that others are wrong, they are the obstacles, the source of our problems, evil, and need to be eliminated. We deny contrary evidence.

Stress and fear can lead us to revert to simplified and often incorrect primal thinking based on the fallacy of polarized thinking.

Hypersensitivity to criticism can cause us to revert to simplified, but incorrect rules governing other's behavior.

Our desire to go along with the group, including the Ashe Effect and other group-think tendencies, can compromise our good judgment.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:49 am

The melodrama is a little overwrought, don't you think?

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:50 am

BigTex wrote:The melodrama is a little overwrought, don't you think?

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 pm

BigTex wrote:The melodrama is a little overwrought, don't you think?

Well, generally speaking, I would say yes. But, isn't most melodrama?

Seems to me there is an excessive focus on form over substance here. Maybe that is just a feature of the Internet...very few people want to address substance. Most responses amount to "I didn't like the way you addressed me so I won't speak to your points...I'll just label you bad and hot have to defend my position. I mean, seriously, that is what the majority of the exchanges here amount to (and no, I'm not entirely sure why I am here or stay...call it cussedness, it certainly gets me cussed enough).

I don't think I have ever posted any place quite like this. It really should be a private site given the outrage at any outsider who comes in and demonstrates less than total ideological purity. It is okay to be a small, insular community like this. They just need to post that fact somewhere. And they should keep the door locked and a Tiler on duty...just so folks like me DON"T wander in and disrupt the lovely consensus of opinions and levels of harmonious agreement.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 pm

But then you have, as you mentioned, the nice folks here. Those are what are keeping many of us here.

Melodrama - can anyone see that word and not think of Snidely Whiplash?

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:30 pm

millergrovesue wrote:But then you have, as you mentioned, the nice folks here. Those are what are keeping many of us here.

Melodrama - can anyone see that word and not think of Snidely Whiplash?

Probably the main reason I stay. I really like the folks I like here. There are some interesting people...even that I don't like. I don't have to like you to find you interesting or have a civil discussion. I like civil discussion...as long as we stay grounded in reality. There is no reality to be found at sources like Westernjournalism.com...but, for a normal person the headlines are either hilarious or frightening. I avoid being frightened by by realizing that is what they are trying to get me to do...be afraid. Check the site some time. I found out about it on FB.

When I think of melodrama I think of all the supposed "scandals" Obama has been at the heart of and the dire warnings about him wanting to "take down" America. All those scandals and NOTHING. With that much smoke there should be some fire, right? Nope, just stage magic with smoke...no substance.

But, I do remember Snidely...great guy, sort of like Scott Walker....misguided and malicious.

Return to “Your first forum”