Volunteering at the VA

Description of your first forum.
Ric

Volunteering at the VA

Postby Ric » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Been retired for a little over a year, now.. and wanted something to do. I really like my doctor there, and she said to me that I should consider doing volunteer work there. Went through all the background checks, etc, and got a positive adjudication in that regard, and I started working in the VA Dental Clinic this week. I am really enjoying it. Got to talk to lot of Vets.. it is even more fulfilling than I expected it would be...
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

Sangersteve

Re: Volunteering at the VA

Postby Sangersteve » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 am

Sounds like something you can sink your teeth into.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:40 am

Yeah, it's a pretty good drill....
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:51 am

Groan... :roll:

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 am

Don't abscess about it.

truep

Postby truep » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I can't get my VA medical benefits because I didn't sign up in time, due to a law/rule I was unaware of.
When is this going to be corrected? I served my 2 years 11 months, 6 hours and 34 Min. and received an honorable discharge.
While I have a good insurance plan, It would be nice to know that my Government honered the promises it
made to me when I enlisted.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Just make sure that you don't bite off more than you can chew.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 pm

truep wrote:I can't get my VA medical benefits because I didn't sign up in time, due to a law/rule I was unaware of.
When is this going to be corrected? I served my 2 years 11 months, 6 hours and 34 Min. and received an honorable discharge.
While I have a good insurance plan, It would be nice to know that my Government honered the promises it
made to me when I enlisted.

Apply again, or do whatever to ask for benefits.
I never dreamed my nephew would qualify as he was only in the military for a short while. His sister convinced him to apply and he got benefits before he died.

I have NO idea of how one applies etc.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:51 pm

You go to a VA facility and apply for benefits. I don't know what law he was talking about. I do know that if one is denied benefits, he can ask for a meeting with the director to plead reconsideration.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

I forgot to say, "Good for you, Ric."

When FIL was in VA hospital in Kerrville, he got lonely.
I always thought someone should volunteer to go over and play board games or ?? with the men who can't get out or have few visitors.

What do you do in the dental area?
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

Return to “Your first forum”