NBC has learned a lesson with Brokaw

Description of your first forum.
Sangersteve

NBC has learned a lesson with Brokaw

Postby Sangersteve » Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 am

One NBC News staffer said, “We felt forced to sign the letter supporting Brokaw. We had no choice, particularly the lower level staffers. The letter was being handed around the office and the unspoken threat was that if your name was not on it, there would be some repercussion down the road. Execs are watching to see who signed and who didn’t. This was all about coming out in force to protect NBC’s golden boy; the network’s reputation is tied to Brokaw . . . If more women come forward, that’s a big problem.”

Another insider said the powerful names on the letter could intimidate other victims. “When you have over 100 women like Andrea Mitchell signing a letter of support without knowing the facts, it’s pretty scary . . . The letter will have a chilling effect on other women coming forward.”

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/30/nbc-staf ... 1502022486
It's a joke son,I say a joke

planosteve

Re: NBC has learned a lesson with Brokaw

Postby planosteve » Tue May 01, 2018 9:51 am

"Unspoken threat" What the hell does that mean? There is no such thing. She was imagining it. Rumors and induendos. Coffee room gossip. That's all this is.
"Nice little Jewish community you got here"-Arab world to Nut Job 8-)

Ric

Postby Ric » Tue May 01, 2018 10:12 am

No such thing? Really?
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Tue May 01, 2018 10:35 am

On Monday, NBC News staffers received a memo with guidance from the network’s standards and practices on how to handle reporting a sensitive story about sexual harassment allegations against Tom Brokaw.

The note, which Variety has obtained, stated: “As always in cases where sexual misconduct is alleged, we should be scrupulous in reflecting all sides.”

The network went on to enumerate, in great detail, exactly how on-air reporters should frame Brokaw’s side of the story. “Include relevant portions of Brokaw’s denial, his email and the email in support of him, signed by more than 60 colleagues,” read the instructions, which appeared in a company-wide system that producers and talent can access.

That mandate raised eyebrows among some staffers because it urged anchors to report on a document that has been the source of controversy in the newsroom. NBC News declined to comment.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nbc-new ... 202793469/
It's a joke son,I say a joke

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed May 02, 2018 12:00 pm

planosteve wrote:"Unspoken threat" What the hell does that mean? There is no such thing. She was imagining it. Rumors and induendos. Coffee room gossip. That's all this is.

Of course it is. The straightforward allegation that makes logical sense, and comes out immediately afterwards, is just rumors. But the ones that require hundreds of people to pull off, cover-up and maintain silence on forever are real. Sure. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ric

Postby Ric » Wed May 02, 2018 12:06 pm

planosteve wrote:"Unspoken threat" What the hell does that mean? There is no such thing. She was imagining it. Rumors and induendos. Coffee room gossip. That's all this is.

It means that it was an unspoken threat. Just before I retired, I was given a letter with all the virtuous things the company would do for me should I decide to retire. Then was told.. I think you should retire. It was an unspoken threat. Just like this was unspoken threats to livelihoods. What's not to understand. The Loony Left is not beneath threats.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed May 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Ric wrote:

It means that it was an unspoken threat. Just before I retired, I was given a letter with all the virtuous things the company would do for me should I decide to retire. Then was told.. I think you should retire. It was an unspoken threat. Just like this was unspoken threats to livelihoods. What's not to understand. The Loony Left is not beneath threats.
In your mind.
Try taking someone to court and charge them with intimidation because you believe they directed an unspoken threat at you. It will be thrown out of court for lack of evidence.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm

My kid was in Jr Hi several years ago. He got crosswise with one of the 'young gentlemen' of the school who would send him 'unspoken threats' by hand signals. Only a dumbass of the least intelligent fodder would say these were'nt unspoken threats. (It stopped when he creamed one of them. Of course, he got sent home from school but he was lionized when he returned.)

Somebody ain't been to school if they haven't experienced "unspoken" threats. Oh, and yeah, he did try the peaceful way first. Was told they couldn't do anything about it bec it couldn't be shown he'd been threatened. That's the etiology of such threats.

All Life is Feudal

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 pm

planosteve wrote:
Ric wrote:

In your mind.
Try taking someone to court and charge them with intimidation because you believe they directed an unspoken threat at you. It will be thrown out of court for lack of evidence.

Ric gives a real, personal example of an unspoken threat, and you dismiss it, because....?
Ridiculous. Everyone else is looking at this and saying, "WTF is planosteve talking about? Anyone with at least half a brain can see that Ric was given the unspoken message that if he didn't retire, he would be let go and get nothing." And it's entirely plausible that NBC colleagues of Brokaw felt pressure under implied threat to sign the "support" letter. Further, I think that you are entirely wrong that a court would throw out for lack of evidence a claim by an employee that she was forced to sign such a letter by her superior, if several others corroborated her concern.

Ric

Postby Ric » Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
planosteve wrote:
Ric wrote:
In your mind.

Ric gives a real, personal example of an unspoken threat, and you dismiss it, because....?
Ridiculous. Everyone else is looking at this and saying, "WTF is planosteve talking about? Anyone with at least half a brain can see that Ric was given the unspoken message that if he didn't retire, he would be let go and get nothing." And it's entirely plausible that NBC colleagues of Brokaw felt pressure under implied threat to sign the "support" letter. Further, I think that you are entirely wrong that a court would throw out for lack of evidence a claim by an employee that she was forced to sign such a letter by her superior, if several others corroborated her concern.

Thanks. Couldn't have stated the obvious better, myself.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Thu May 03, 2018 6:00 am

Is there another discussion group behind the discussion group to discuss the discussion group? I didn't know about that.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu May 03, 2018 9:43 am

planosteve wrote:Is there another discussion group behind the discussion group to discuss the discussion group? I didn't know about that.

I guess you're not in the Inner Circle...

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:20 pm

I was out of the country last week, away from news.

Apparently a woman claimed Brokaw did ??
..and then others submitted a letter saying, "Nope, didn't happen"--
Now some who signed letter say they were coerced into signing.

Is that the correct short version?

My question: Have any others stepped up to say, "Yes, he is a horn dog?"

If not, then my summary is
1. Perhaps he did/perhaps he did not. If he was not saying, "You better or else you lose your job" then it is a flirtation, not harassment.
2. If others are not saying it was his MO, then, I'm going with flirtation.

moving along, as there is nothing to see.............
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu May 03, 2018 12:28 pm

LibraryLady2 wrote:I was out of the country last week, away from news.

Apparently a woman claimed Brokaw did ??
..and then others submitted a letter saying, "Nope, didn't happen"--
Now some who signed letter say they were coerced into signing.

Is that the correct short version?

My question: Have any others stepped up to say, "Yes, he is a horn dog?"

If not, then my summary is
1. Perhaps he did/perhaps he did not. If he was not saying, "You better or else you lose your job" then it is a flirtation, not harassment.
2. If others are not saying it was his MO, then, I'm going with flirtation.

moving along, as there is nothing to see.............

Third woman comes forward..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thecut ... nduct.html
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Return to “Your first forum”