NRA calls gun rallies “downright weird"

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

NRA calls gun rallies “downright weird"

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:45 am

NRA chastises open carry protests in Texas

By Anna M. Tinsley
atinsley@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH — The nation’s largest gun-rights group is taking some Texans to task over their headline-generating demonstrations advocating the legal, open carrying of weapons.

Officials with the National Rifle Association say recent rallies at fast-food restaurants and home improvement stores are “downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself.”

While the group applauds Texas for a “robust gun culture,” leaders of the group in a statement chastise “a small number [who] have recently crossed the line from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.”

This comes as some Republicans heading toward the state GOP convention in Fort Worth later this week plan to carry long guns outside the Fort Worth Convention Center.

The question of whether guns can be carried into the center during the three-day convention has been a concern because the facility holds a Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission license.

Republican Party of Texas Chairman Steve Munisteri released a new statement, letting party members know that “anyone carrying an openly exposed weapon will be asked to do so outside of the building.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/06/02 ... rylink=cpy

Red Oak

Re: NRA calls gun rallies “downright weird"

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 am

This is looking more and more like a "Manufactored" Crisis, so that Law Makers must "Do Something".

I am a never Hillaryite!

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:00 am

You know you have gone too far when the NRA backs off.

RO, I think the open carry ones are guilty of creating whatever is going on.
When a variety of businesses complain, society will respond in some way or another.
Even you will admit these folks are a bit over the top in logic.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:25 am

The NRA is full of FUDs, the Open Carry groups or at least some of them are a little over the Top but well within the Law. Let me say that that again the Protestors are well within in the Law.

Many of the so called terrorizing of the public incidents are made up, manufactored.

All of you getting your drawers in a twist over this are being played like a fiddle, by both sides of this issue.

Practice some of that Tolerance you Open Minded folks are preaching.

I am a never Hillaryite!

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:49 am

Wandering around a parking lot or crossing the street with a Black Rifle/AK/Assault shotgun is the problem. Carry a flintlock or model 700 and people aren't as likley to freak out.

IMO these open carry people are wanting to be "in your face" and a flintlock doesn't give themselves the impression of being a tough guy as much as an AR slung on their back or beer gut
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 am

I think they're great.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:21 am

Hey Greg try it in Burbank, I dare ya ! :)

I am a never Hillaryite!

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:22 am

It is really much ado about nothing, IMO.

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:27 am

Red Oak wrote:Hey Greg try it in Burbank, I dare ya ! :)

That's why they're great..because there are so many places where it would not be "tolerated."

Anywhere that people can..they should.

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 am

The next level will be..a bunch of guys with rifles walking into police stations..and asking for directions.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:27 am

Red Oak wrote:The NRA is full of FUDs, the Open Carry groups or at least some of them are a little over the Top but well within the Law. Let me say that that again the Protestors are well within in the Law.

It's also "well within the law" for fat ladies to wear shorts in Walmart and for old men to wear bad toupees.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:13 am

Yes - and I have to Tolerate their bad taste; just a I Tolerate the Nutty faction of the Open Carry groups.

Also let me get this right out in the open - if I have/had reason or felt a need to Open Carry I would and I would not hesitate to do so; rarely have I had a reason to so I don't do it; except for a very very few rare occasions.

I have the God Given Right to "Keep and Bear Arms", not the right to have them locked up at home.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:21 am

Red Oak wrote:Yes - and I have to Tolerate their bad taste; just a I Tolerate the Nutty faction of the Open Carry groups.

Also let me get this right out in the open - if I have/had reason or felt a need to Open Carry I would and I would not hesitate to do so; rarely have I had a reason to so I don't do it; except for a very very few rare occasions.

I have the God Given Right to "Keep and Bear Arms", not the right to have them locked up at home.

Then we won't see you parading at a Braum's, wearing camouflage clothing and toting an AK-47?

:D

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 am

Get photos!!

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:38 am

I'm a gun "enthusiast" (as opposed to "nut"), meaning that I own a few guns, most of which were gifted or inherited.

That being said, it seems to me that these guys may mean well but are executing their publicity poorly. Toting their guns around in public is only going to serve to make them look like extremist when perhaps a more low-key approach would more positively impact the community.

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:53 am

Things seem extreme that are not commonly done.

If it hapoened everywhere, regularly..no more "extreme".

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Bob Of Burleson wrote:
Red Oak wrote:Yes - and I have to Tolerate their bad taste; just a I Tolerate the Nutty faction of the Open Carry groups.

Then we won't see you parading at a Braum's, wearing camouflage clothing and toting an AK-47?

:D

Probably not going to happen; and if I have to do it I will try and hold my gut in ;)

I am a never Hillaryite!

Just Me

Postby Just Me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:31 pm

If the "Open Carry" ever becomes law like these people are pushing for, I think most businesses will just ban guns on their premises, thus rendering the law almost useless for stopping crime.

Gopher

Postby Gopher » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:04 pm

GFB wrote:
Red Oak wrote:Hey Greg try it in Burbank, I dare ya ! :)

That's why they're great..because there are so many places where it would not be "tolerated."

Anywhere that people can..they should.

Kinda like Cali huh?

Open carry of UNLOADED handguns was legal a few years ago until a similar group started having open carry rallies to change to law to allow loaded carry. They scared the sheep so badly California banned the open carry of all weapons. Go figure.
:roll:

OCT has a good message, but a horrible presentation, and now a huge public relations problem. They have become like Paulbots, if you don't like the way we do things you are against us, period.

If they keep up I'm afraid all open carry legslitation planned for next year will never see the light of day from the various committees. :evil:
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Stand on it till you smell stink!

Gopher

Postby Gopher » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Just Me wrote:If the "Open Carry" ever becomes law like these people are pushing for, I think most businesses will just ban guns on their premises, thus rendering the law almost useless for stopping crime.

As is their right. However, the economic backlash from that may change their minds. Think maybe Jack in the Box wants a redo on their no gun statement. Three stores robbed now. Sonic too.

Open carry of handguns in legal in the four surrounding states and for 99.9% of the population it is a non event. It will be in Texas if it ever passes.
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Stand on it till you smell stink!

Return to “Your first forum”