Huge Steam locomotive

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady2

Huge Steam locomotive

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:24 pm

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/big-boy-locomotive-route-and-stops?

Big Boy No. 4014 arrives in Ogden on May 8 and will be on display at Ogden Union Station until May 11. On May 12, the locomotive will start its journey back to Cheyenne, making stops in numerous small towns along the way.
http://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

planosteve

Re: Huge Steam locomotive

Postby planosteve » Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 am

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll drive up to Cheyenne to see it come back next Sunday. I'm only about a half hour away.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sun May 12, 2019 8:17 pm

That's pretty cool.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 pm

planosteve wrote:Thanks for that. Maybe I'll drive up to Cheyenne to see it come back next Sunday. I'm only about a half hour away.

Be careful. There are hundreds of folks "chasing" this locomotive. It is a big deal in the railfan community.

It will tour the UP system over the next few years, supposed to get to Texas, too.

bodine

Postby bodine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am

I hope that some of you got to see UP 4014 (the Big Boy) on its swing through Texas.

I played hooky at lunch on Friday to watch it roll into town. I have seen and ridden behind UP's other steam locomotives, but the Big Boy is unique, awesome, and big! It overnighted in College Station; my wife wanted to see it, so we got up Saturday morning to take a peak. There were people everywhere near it. We headed to downtown Bryan, figuring that there would be good vantage points and parking to watch it head north. We were not disappointed. After it passed, my wife insisted that we chase it for a while. We made it as far as Mumford; where we got another good photo spot. She facetimed my daughter as it passed by.

The crowds watching and chasing were huge. There were thousands of folks in Hearne watching it back up through an interchange track to change routes (to Palestine).

I hope it comes back to Texas at some point. Glad I got to see it under moving under its own power.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:33 am

We had to miss it.

We were going to go over to Longview (the nearest vantage point for us) on Sunday.
Unfortunately a dear friend died and his service was Sunday PM.

>....waiting for the next time it ventures this way.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:34 am

We are planning to see it at Greeley on the 27th. We're also going to visit the Colorado Model Railroad Museum there at the same time. https://www.cmrm.org/
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

bodine

Postby bodine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:42 pm

planosteve wrote:We are planning to see it at Greeley on the 27th. We're also going to visit the Colorado Model Railroad Museum there at the same time. https://www.cmrm.org/

That museum is on the bucket list. Would love to do something like that in College Station...

Return to “Your first forum”