Re: Friday Night Lights

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:03 am

What was the score
It's a joke son,I say a joke

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:14 am

Sangersteve wrote:What was the score

We won 28-0. Very proud of these young men.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:34 pm

We watched the Sherman-Denison game on FSSW hoping to get some shots of the band but there was very little.

It's too bad that TV hasn't figured out that a lot of the audience for high school games is people who would like to see the bands.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 pm

BigTex wrote:We watched the Sherman-Denison game on FSSW hoping to get some shots of the band but there was very little.

It's too bad that TV hasn't figured out that a lot of the audience for high school games is people who would like to see the bands.

What is this FSSW that you speak of?

When I was in high school, the bleachers virtually emptied out after halftime every week. It was all the band and drill team parents leaving.

Here in our little town, football is king. Most of the people in the bleachers don't know how to behave when the band and drill team are on the field.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:39 pm

One of my grandsons plays soccer for Marshall University in Huntington, W. Virginia. They won their first game of the season yesterday 3--1. A good start.

Marshall is the University that lost many members of its football team in a plane crash. This story was told in the movie, We Are Marshall starring Matthew McConaughey.

Go Thundering Herd

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:11 pm

Mark wrote:
When I was in high school, the bleachers virtually emptied out after halftime every week. It was all the band and drill team parents leaving.

Here in our little town, football is king. Most of the people in the bleachers don't know how to behave when the band and drill team are on the field.

In high school what goes on during halftime is every bit as important as what goes on during the actual game. I'm surprised the TV people haven't figured that out. Of course, the old copyright bugaboo might be involved.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:02 am

BigTex wrote:
Mark wrote:

In high school what goes on during halftime is every bit as important as what goes on during the actual game. I'm surprised the TV people haven't figured that out. Of course, the old copyright bugaboo might be involved.

The cameras are set up for the game, not the band performance, so it doesn't really come across that well on the small screen.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:57 am

jellowrestling wrote:
BigTex wrote:
Mark wrote:

The cameras are set up for the game, not the band performance, so it doesn't really come across that well on the small screen.

All they need is one high camera covering the field, which they have for the game. The could even lock the camera down and the cameraman could go take a pee.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:01 am

Doesn't seem to be a problem when Grambling and Southern play.

bodine

Postby bodine » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:48 am

BigTex wrote:
Mark wrote:

Our band lost me when the half-time performance was titled: "Impressions of a young immigrant to New York City in 1889."

WTF?

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:52 am

bodine wrote:
BigTex wrote:
Mark wrote:

Our band lost me when the half-time performance was titled: "Impressions of a young immigrant to New York City in 1889."

WTF?

If the music is good and the drill is good, then the theme doesn't make much of a difference.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am

The Richardson High School band never tried to be PC, but the theater department is eaten up with the PC.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am

Mark wrote:
bodine wrote:
BigTex wrote:

WTF?

If the music is good and the drill is good, then the theme doesn't make much of a difference.

Yes, but if you're asking country music fans to listen to prog rock, you're probably going to lose a significant percentage of the audience.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:00 am

jellowrestling wrote:
Mark wrote:
bodine wrote:

WTF?

Yes, but if you're asking country music fans to listen to prog rock, you're probably going to lose a significant percentage of the audience.

Amen.

bodine

Postby bodine » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:44 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
Mark wrote:
bodine wrote:

WTF?

I would have characterized it as jazz. Not my cup of tea.

rusty

Postby rusty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Mark wrote:
bodine wrote:
BigTex wrote:

WTF?

I agree with Mark. Who cares what the content is if the performance is good? I'm not a fan of John Wayne's politics, but some of his movies are in my top 20. Only an idiot would sacrifice art for politics

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm

bodine wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:
Mark wrote:If the music is good and the drill is good, then the theme doesn't make much of a difference.

One of the best high school shows I ever saw was a show by Arlington Seguin about 12 years ago. They played this long-haired jazz stuff. There were no breaks in the music. It went on continuously for the 10 or 12 minutes, or however long it is those shows are supposed to be.

To me, marching band music doesn't fall into any of the popular music genres. It is marching band. Whether the song they are playing was originally done by Led Zeppelin or Michael Jackson or Patsy Cline or Bach, it is still marching band.

I've seen great shows with music from such diverse backgrounds as The Beatles, Tower of Power, George Gershwin, the James Bond Movies, AC/DC, and even Loonie Tunes.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Let me attempt to say it a different way...

I may think our high school football coach is a dumbass for trying to run the spread offense with the wrong kind of personnel, but I am still going to cheer for the boys on the field and celebrate their accomplishments.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Mark wrote:
bodine wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:Yes, but if you're asking country music fans to listen to prog rock, you're probably going to lose a significant percentage of the audience.

One of the best high school shows I ever saw was a show by Arlington Seguin about 12 years ago. They played this long-haired jazz stuff. There were no breaks in the music. It went on continuously for the 10 or 12 minutes, or however long it is those shows are supposed to be.

To me, marching band music doesn't fall into any of the popular music genres. It is marching band. Whether the song they are playing was originally done by Led Zeppelin or Michael Jackson or Patsy Cline or Bach, it is still marching band.

I've seen great shows with music from such diverse backgrounds as The Beatles, Tower of Power, George Gershwin, the James Bond Movies, AC/DC, and even Loonie Tunes.

I probably shouldn't have used a music analogy for a band performance.

Return to “Your first forum”