Amber Guyger Found Guilty of Murder

Description of your first forum.
rusty

Re: Amber Guyger Found Guilty of Murder

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am

jellowrestling wrote:
Sangersteve wrote:
Is, was, your employer financially responsible for you actions off the clock?

It is often said that cops are never off duty.

I don't know legally, but

I am relatively certain if a crime is occurring you would not want an off duty officer to ignore it.
Someone asked on Facebook, "Why didn't she retreat?"

My response: "What was she supposed to do: call the police?"

Well, yes. I doubt if a cop would generally walk into a situation like that without backup. Regardless of who's home it was.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am

I think 10 years might have been the "magic number" to keep the defense from appealing and dragging it on the next few years.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 am

rusty wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:
Sangersteve wrote:

I am relatively certain if a crime is occurring you would not want an off duty officer to ignore it.
Someone asked on Facebook, "Why didn't she retreat?"

Well, yes. I doubt if a cop would generally walk into a situation like that without backup. Regardless of who's home it was.

So, REALLY big settlement, then?

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 am

jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:Someone asked on Facebook, "Why didn't she retreat?"

What makes you think that if she waited for backup, and had a few minutes to stop and think, the result would've been the same? I believe she would have finally realized she was at the wrong apartment.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:44 am

jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:Someone asked on Facebook, "Why didn't she retreat?"

Humongous. There is no way the city can claim it is not liable.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:39 pm

rusty wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:Well, yes. I doubt if a cop would generally walk into a situation like that without backup. Regardless of who's home it was.

What makes you think that if she waited for backup, and had a few minutes to stop and think, the result would've been the same? I believe she would have finally realized she was at the wrong apartment.

I see what you mean now Jello. I'm torn on this. She wasn't "on the clock" but as Ron said previously, a cop is never really off duty. Barney Fife also said this when he and Andy went to Raleigh one time. Probably a big settlement since she likely didn't follow proper protocol.

bodine

Postby bodine » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 pm

rusty wrote:
rusty wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:So, REALLY big settlement, then?

I see what you mean now Jello. I'm torn on this. She wasn't "on the clock" but as Ron said previously, a cop is never really off duty. Barney Fife also said this when he and Andy went to Raleigh one time. Probably a big settlement since she likely didn't follow proper protocol.

For discussion's sake. Will the City's insurance pay/settle? She was off the clock, but still in uniform. If insurance won't pay, will the city council approve a payment? Some interesting questions, probably to be decided in a civil courtroom / appellate court. I doubt that she has any monetary value, and she will have no earnings for the next 5 to 10 years, so nothing to gain in a suit against her.

Second thought; do police officers carry liability insurance?

bodine

Postby bodine » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:54 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
bodine wrote:Surprised that she got ten years; I figured she would get more.

I suspected that some of the jury would rather have convicted her of manslaughter, but agreed to a murder conviction because they didn't think that she should skate. I think that was reflected in the sentencing; I also suspect that those jurors would like to have given her the minimum, but others wanted more, so 10 was the compromise.

Purely speculation on my part, of course, but I have been on a jury for a homicide case.

I think you nailed it.

I got far as a scheduled interview for a capital murder case; but i was working for a bank that happened to fail the week the interview was scheduled. The OCC / FDIC knew the bank was scheduled to fail, and talked to the DA about getting me removed from the jury pool. I was torn, because this was the execution style murder of four employees at an Irving Taco Bell. The perp was convicted of capital murder, and executed.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm

9 years, 364 days to go Amber, or 120 months, less 1 day, It will fly by, as they say, we dont know who the hell said that though.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Sangersteve wrote:

A officer was in my wedding he's now retired. HS classmate retired from law enforcement. Known others in Texas for years. I don't treat them as on duty when they aren't.
I wouldn't hold their employer hostage for money like jello would.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:35 pm

John in Plano wrote:
Sangersteve wrote:

A officer was in my wedding he's now retired. HS classmate retired from law enforcement. Known others in Texas for years. I don't treat them as on duty when they aren't.

I'm not sure jello was advocating for a settlement, I'm not either. I do, though, think it's likely.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:00 pm

rusty wrote:
John in Plano wrote:
Sangersteve wrote:

I'm not sure jello was advocating for a settlement, I'm not either. I do, though, think it's likely.

I ain't a mind reader that's why I asked, and bumped my questions.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm

John in Plano wrote:
rusty wrote:
John in Plano wrote:

I ain't a mind reader that's why I asked, and bumped my questions.

Rusty gets it. What I think is right and/or fair doesn't have anything to do with what the family is going to do, or with what a jury will award.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:06 am

Now an atheist group is mad because the judge gave her a bible.

Return to “Your first forum”