Description of your first forum.
BigTex

Amber Guyger Found Guilty of Murder

Postby BigTex » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Waiting to hear on sentence.

Sangersteve

Re: Amber Guyger Found Guilty of Murder

Postby Sangersteve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:27 pm

I believe she would have been charged with manslaughter, if she hadn't told the jury she meant to kill him.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:45 pm

I think the judge left the defense a couple of avenues for appeal, but I don't know how solid that ground is.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Does anyone know if she was offered a plea bargain to manslaughter? In any event the evidence as presented in the news did not justify a charge of murder. One article I read said that the jury's verdict meant they did not believe she thought it was her own apartment she was entering. That was an unreasonable finding.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:08 pm

Kiamichi wrote:Does anyone know if she was offered a plea bargain to manslaughter? In any event the evidence as presented in the news did not justify a charge of murder. One article I read said that the jury's verdict meant they did not believe she thought it was her own apartment she was entering. That was an unreasonable finding.

Manslaughter, as explained by more than 1 local reporter was off the table for the jury when Amber testified she shot to kill.

If I walk into another person's residence, shot and kill then and tell the cops I shot to kill , manslaughter isn't what they are going to investigate me for or charge me with or try me for.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:27 pm

She shot to kill someone who was in her home. It was a mistake. She is not guilty of murder because it was not premeditated.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 pm

planosteve wrote:She shot to kill someone who was in her home. It was a mistake. She is not guilty of murder because it was not premeditated.

We agree on this one.

If I were the family of Jean, though, I would be suing the City of Dallas for a bazillion dollars for having such a poorly trained and qualified officer.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Sangersteve wrote:I believe she would have been charged with manslaughter, if she hadn't told the jury she meant to kill him.

I wonder how many people on that jury have had any firearm training.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:31 pm

I don't understand why she would have used the words "shoot to kill". I don't know of any law enforcement agency that teaches that, they teach to shoot until the deadly threat no longer exists (not that I believe she should have interpreted Jean's presence as a deadly threat that gave her no option but to shoot). I definitely think what she did was manslaughter but I don't think it was ethical for the prosecution to argue that she did not think she was entering her own apartment, which they reportedly did.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:35 pm

John in Plano wrote:
Kiamichi wrote:Does anyone know if she was offered a plea bargain to manslaughter? In any event the evidence as presented in the news did not justify a charge of murder. One article I read said that the jury's verdict meant they did not believe she thought it was her own apartment she was entering. That was an unreasonable finding.

Manslaughter, as explained by more than 1 local reporter was off the table for the jury when Amber testified she shot to kill.

If I walk into another person's residence, shot and kill then and tell the cops I shot to kill , manslaughter isn't what they are going to investigate me for or charge me with or try me for.

I agree, the fact that she was a police officer had no bearing on her responsibility for what she did.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:11 am

There were so many things that happened that makes me think she should not have been DPD qualified. The door she walked up too had a red floor mat in front of the door, her apartment did not, the door was open or unlocked, i'm not clear which, but either one should have put her on alert. All utility belts have a holder for flashlighst, why didnt she pull out hers to light the dimley lit apt. I wont even mention the tazer cops carry,a non-lethal remedy. She choose lethal force when it may not have been necessary. No happy ending ending to this tragic murder for her family, and for the daceased family as well.

rusty

Postby rusty » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:16 am

glenn/dallas wrote:There were so many things that happened that makes me think she should not have been DPD qualified. The door she walked up too had a red floor mat in front of the door, her apartment did not, the door was open or unlocked, i'm not clear which, but either one should have put her on alert. All utility belts have a holder for flashlighst, why didnt she pull out hers to light the dimley lit apt. I wont even mention the tazer cops carry,a non-lethal remedy. She choose lethal force when it may not have been necessary. No happy ending ending to this tragic murder for her family, and for the daceased family as well.

I agree Glenn. It doesn't have to be pre-meditated to be considered murder. I had only been casually following the case, so I was a bit surprised when they came out with the verdict, but the more I've found out about it the more I agree with the verdict.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:35 am

jellowrestling wrote:
planosteve wrote:She shot to kill someone who was in her home. It was a mistake. She is not guilty of murder because it was not premeditated.

We agree on this one.

If I were the family of Jean, though, I would be suing the City of Dallas for a bazillion dollars for having such a poorly trained and qualified officer.

Is, was, your employer financially responsible for you actions off the clock?

Is the LTC company or person who qualified you financially responsible for your actions with you firearm ?

I don't hold DPD or Dallas financially responsible.

I also recognize lawyers will line up for a piece of that action.

bodine

Postby bodine » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Surprised that she got ten years; I figured she would get more.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 pm

It is often said that cops are never off duty.

I don't know legally, but

I am relatively certain if a crime is occurring you would not want an off duty officer to ignore it.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:47 pm

She and the victim's brother embraced. I thought that was very touching. The rest of the family seemed distraught and out for revenge. I thought 10 years was a little steep. I'd hoped for about 5.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:26 am

glenn/dallas wrote:There were so many things that happened that makes me think she should not have been DPD qualified. The door she walked up too had a red floor mat in front of the door, her apartment did not, the door was open or unlocked, i'm not clear which, but either one should have put her on alert. All utility belts have a holder for flashlighst, why didnt she pull out hers to light the dimley lit apt. I wont even mention the tazer cops carry,a non-lethal remedy. She choose lethal force when it may not have been necessary. No happy ending ending to this tragic murder for her family, and for the daceased family as well.

And this is why the family should be suing the city. If she weren't a cop, Botham Jean would likely be alive today.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 am

Sangersteve wrote:

It is often said that cops are never off duty.

I don't know legally, but

I am relatively certain if a crime is occurring you would not want an off duty officer to ignore it.
Someone asked on Facebook, "Why didn't she retreat?"

My response: "What was she supposed to do: call the police?"

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:42 am

bodine wrote:Surprised that she got ten years; I figured she would get more.

I suspected that some of the jury would rather have convicted her of manslaughter, but agreed to a murder conviction because they didn't think that she should skate. I think that was reflected in the sentencing; I also suspect that those jurors would like to have given her the minimum, but others wanted more, so 10 was the compromise.

Purely speculation on my part, of course, but I have been on a jury for a homicide case.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 am

John in Plano wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:

We agree on this one.

Is the LTC company or person who qualified you financially responsible for your actions with you firearm ?

I don't hold DPD or Dallas financially responsible.

I also recognize lawyers will line up for a piece of that action.

Return to “Your first forum”