Ventura won the case

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Ventura won the case

Postby LibraryLady » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Bob Of Burleson

Re: Ventura won the case

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Well, I'll be darned.

scarlett~nc

Postby scarlett~nc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:30 pm

hope that I am never trusting a jury of my peers ... totally sickening !!!

Dennis

Postby Dennis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:41 pm

He must be in need of the money. Justice was not served fairly in the settlement.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Jesse Ventura wins
$1.84M in defamation suit;
jurors vote 8-2

RANDY FURST and JAMES WALSH
Minneapolis Star Tribune staff writers

In a split decision, jury votes 8-2 to award damages for defamation, “unjust enrichment.”

Jesse Ventura won his defamation case against the estate of author Chris Kyle, a former U.S. Navy SEAL who said he punched out the former Minnesota governor for criticizing the SEALs’ role in the Iraq war.

The jury awarded a total of $1.845 million: $500,000 in defamation damages and $1.345 million for “unjust enrichment” — or to be specific, $1,345,477.25.

Jurors could not reach a unanimous verdict, as instructed. Instead, with the consent of both sides, they voted 8 to 2 in Ventura’s favor.

Ventura was not in the courtroom when the verdict was read.

U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle said federal rules require a unanimous verdict but allow for a split verdict if both sides agree.

One man and one woman voted no on verdict when all jurors were polled in the courtroom. It appeared the forewoman was one of the two no votes.

The jurors deliberated for six days in the case, which began July 8.

On Monday they sent Judge Kyle a note that they could not reach a unanimous decision. The judge told them to “give it one more shot.”

Speaking to the media after the verdict Tuesday, attorneys on both sides said Judge Kyle asked them if they would accept less than a unanimous verdict. Ventura’s attorney David B. Olsen said their side would be satisfied with a 6-4 verdict. Chris Kyle’s defense team said they would agree if the vote was 8-2.

At that time, Olsen said neither the attorneys nor the judge knew what the breakdown was among the deadlocked jurors. He said their decision to accept a split vote was “a roll of the dice.”

When he told Ventura that he’d won, Olsen said Ventura replied, “There are no winners in this trial.”

MORE

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

If there are no winners then why did Ventura sue? He is an idiot, always has been and now has more money in his account.

kent

Postby kent » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Kyle couldn't defend himself.

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 pm

If he was really concerned about damage to his image, a written and/or public apology would have been enough. Taking money from the widow of a dead American hero is about as low as you can go.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:29 am

Like I said before: "Don't mess with old guys". :lol:
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:59 am

The ‘unverifiable’ legacy of Chris Kyle,
the deadliest sniper in American history

By Terrence McCoy
The Washington Post

Chris Kyle, musclebound, grim-faced and lethal, liked to tell stories.

Before his murder in 2013 at 38, the so-called deadliest sniper in American history nurtured a comic book narrative. He was the “true American badass,” as one journalist called him, who dipped, wore big boots and affected an aw-shucks Texas swagger. With 160 confirmed kills under his belt and a beautiful family behind him, he became the stuff of military legend. He wrote a best-selling book. Statues were erected. Millions made.

And then there were his stories — some of which smelled fishy. “There were a lot of things he told people that are really unverifiable,” journalist Michael J. Mooney, who wrote a book on Kyle, told The Washington Post.

Like the one about how he and a bud went down to New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina and picked off dozens of bad guys. Or the one in which he took on two armed Texans bent on stealing his truck and shot them both dead. Or the one he told about former Minnesota governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura.

It’s a story that Ventura said was false. A Minnesota jury, which on Tuesday awarded Ventura $1.8 million in damages from Kyle’s estate after deliberating for six days, agreed.

MORE

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:35 am

So, why are we all freaked out..does no one believe this loon got punched out by the guy?

..or is it something else.

I personally don't care how the lawsuit came out..(except that Ventura needs to be punched out daily.)
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 am

Oh wait, I just noticed the sniper dude was a Texan, is that it?

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 am

Bob Of Burleson wrote:The ‘unverifiable’ legacy of Chris Kyle,
the deadliest sniper in American history

By Terrence McCoy
The Washington Post

Chris Kyle, musclebound, grim-faced and lethal, liked to tell stories.

Before his murder in 2013 at 38, the so-called deadliest sniper in American history nurtured a comic book narrative. He was the “true American badass,” as one journalist called him, who dipped, wore big boots and affected an aw-shucks Texas swagger. With 160 confirmed kills under his belt and a beautiful family behind him, he became the stuff of military legend. He wrote a best-selling book. Statues were erected. Millions made.

And then there were his stories — some of which smelled fishy. “There were a lot of things he told people that are really unverifiable,” journalist Michael J. Mooney, who wrote a book on Kyle, told The Washington Post.

Like the one about how he and a bud went down to New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina and picked off dozens of bad guys. Or the one in which he took on two armed Texans bent on stealing his truck and shot them both dead. Or the one he told about former Minnesota governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura.

It’s a story that Ventura said was false. A Minnesota jury, which on Tuesday awarded Ventura $1.8 million in damages from Kyle’s estate after deliberating for six days, agreed.

MORE

What could be more easily verifiable than that he killed two people trying to steal his truck? And if he shot "dozens" of bad guys" after Katrina there would at least have been bodies of gunshot victims, which there weren't. Why is Ventura being vilified for calling this character out?

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:25 am

So, now I think I see.

The lawsuit was not for being punched out by the sniper..it was about the sniper SAYING he punched out Ventura..and Ventura's feelings being hurt.

I still say..the answer is..punch out Ventura..regularly.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:30 am

The defense did not have to accept a split decision by the jury, which would have resulted in a mistrial. The defense chose to shoot crap. They lost.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:48 am

Like I said before, sniper boy had a problem with truthiness. Sorry, but you don't get to lie about other people and benefit from it. Jessie gets 1.8 million. The last chapter will be what happens to the guy that killed him. That should be interesting. The story that he was "helping him with PTSD" is obviously a crock too.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

marti

Postby marti » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:33 am

Ventura could take the high road and donate the money to Wounded Warriors or some other worthy cause.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am

The defense team should have been headed up by Alan Shore. Not only would they have won, the jury would have gotten an education on everything that was wrong with the Bush Administration.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm a little tired of the whining that Ventura went after Kyle's widow. The legal proceedings had already begun when Kyle was killed. He was in fact deposed and video of the deposition was played at the trial. Has anyone considered that Kyle's widow is dealing with the consequences of a husband who made things up and put them in print?

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 pm

BigTex wrote:I'm a little tired of the whining that Ventura went after Kyle's widow. The legal proceedings had already begun when Kyle was killed. He was in fact deposed and video of the deposition was played at the trial. Has anyone considered that Kyle's widow is dealing with the consequences of a husband who made things up and put them in print?

That what it seems like..the sniper was total loser that was a good shot.

Either way, Ventura still needs to be punched out.

Return to “Your first forum”