Largest Steam Engine in world to visit Texas in November

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady2

Largest Steam Engine in world to visit Texas in November

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 am

We have seen this engine on some TV shows. I might have to go across the state and see it go by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy

The schedule and map of route:

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

planosteve

Re: Largest Steam Engine in world to visit Texas in November

Postby planosteve » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks for posting that. The engine is housed in Cheyenne, WY which is just 30 minutes north of here. I have been meaning to drive up there and see it. Now, I'll wait till spring because it won't be back home till the end of Nov. Or I could drive down to Greeley on 27 Nov and watch it go by.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:28 pm

It will be in Longview on a Sunday.
We are going to drive over and see it....2 hour drive. Now, we can just hope for good weather that day.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:45 pm

I remember reading in one of Paul Theroux's travel books written in the 1990's that China was the only country in the world where steam locomotives were still being manufactured. I wonder if they are still making them.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 am

Kiamichi wrote:I remember reading in one of Paul Theroux's travel books written in the 1990's that China was the only country in the world where steam locomotives were still being manufactured. I wonder if they are still making them.

China quit making new steam locomotives in 1999. Several new locomotives were imported to the US for tourist operations. There a firms that list used locomotives for sale and refurbishment for use in the US.

The Big Boy is going to come through Bryan/College Station, I believe it will overnight in Bryan, with no public viewing. But one will be able to see it.

Return to “Your first forum”