Ring of Honor

Description of your first forum.
Allen

Re: Ring of Honor

Postby Allen » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
Allen wrote:Darren Woodson, Harvey Martin, Ed Jones, along with others y'all already mentioned. Except Grassman, he should have to go sit in the corner. :D

+1 to all of those. Woodson was one of the best ever to play his position, IMO. I think Neely should be next (or one of the next) for several reasons. He was a dominant player in his time (a member of the NFL's "All-1960s Team", and there is a very interesting story about his signing with the Cowboys. For those who don't know, Neely was drafted by the Colts and Oilers, but signed with the Oilers. When Neely found out that the Cowboys had traded for his rights, he sent his bonus check back to the Oilers and signed with the Cowboys. Neely's signing was one of the issues that had to be resolved to complete the AFL-NFL merger, and the annual Governor's Cup game with the Oilers was a part of the settlement (the Cowboys also gave the Oilers a first, second, and 2 fifth-round draft choices).

Also, they need to do it while he's still alive and, preferably, walking.

I never knew that about his sending the bonus check back. I think I read the other players jokingly gave him the "nasty" during his playing days because he complained all the time. I know I read that he was riding dirt bikes with some of the players when him and Cliff Harris jumped a hill and broke his leg. Harris said Neely had never ridden before and had went out and got twice the bike he should have for a new rider because that was his personality. They came up on the hill and Neely just kept going.

Interesting guy.

Return to “Your first forum”