No white privilege? Look at this checklist

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady2

No white privilege? Look at this checklist

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 pm

White Privilege Checklist

White privilege as "an invisible package of unearned assets, which I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was ‘meant’ to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks“ (McIntosh, 1989).

The following are examples of ways white individuals have privilege because they are white.
Please read the list and place a check next to the privileges that apply to you or that you have encountered. At the end, try to list at least two more ways you have privilege based on your race.

_ 1. I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
4. when I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
5. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the
existence of their race.
6.. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the food I grew up with. into a hairdressers shop and find someone who can deal with my hair.
7. Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial responsibility.
8. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing, or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.
9. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
10. I can take a job or enroll in a college with an affirmative action policy without having my coworkers or peers assume I got it because of my race.
11. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.
12. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated.
13. I am never asked to speak for all of the people of my racial group.
14. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk with the "person in charge" I will be facing a person of my race.
15. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.
16. I can easily by posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children's magazines featuring people of my race.
17. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.
18. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
19. I can walk into a classroom and know I will not be the only member of my race.
20. I can enroll in a class at college and be sure that the majority of my professors will be of
my race.
Racial privilege is only one forms of privilege. What are other examples of privilege? (e.g., privilege based on gender, sexual orientation, class, and religion). Can you think of ways one might have privilege based on these factors? {e.g., that you do not have to worry about being verbally or physically harassed because of your sexual orientation: or you can be sure that your religious holiday will be acknowledged and represented in store displays, classroom discussions, etc). Please list these forms of privilege.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

Red Oak

Re: No white privilege? Look at this checklist

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:22 pm

What a load of BS.

So what is the answer White Genocide or relocating to a black majority country ? I know which solution I would vote for.

I am a never Hillaryite!

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Red Oak wrote:What a load of BS.

So what is the answer White Genocide or relocating to a black majority country ? I know which solution I would vote for.

No. The answer is treating a black person with respect and not thinking "I am white, so I get the best and get to select first"--among other things.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Who here has ever done that ?

I haven’t.

Take the above screed and apply it to Asians or Latins, and ask yourself why they are not as perpetually aggrieved.

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Red Oak wrote:Who here has ever done that ?

I haven’t.

Take the above screed and apply it to Asians or Latins, and ask yourself why they are not as perpetually aggrieved.

Answer to first question..no one of course..the suggestion is laughable.

Answer to second question..Asians and Latins know their failures are their own doing.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:28 pm

I haven’t.

What makes you think they aren't?
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:29 pm

planosteve wrote:

I haven’t.

What makes you think they aren't? Especially Mexicans.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:32 pm

LibraryLady2 wrote:
Red Oak wrote:What a load of BS.

No. The answer is treating a black person with respect and not thinking "I am white, so I get the best and get to select first"--among other things.

Here we have a perfect example of "buying into the narrative"

Or maybe some guilt of personal behaviour.

I have never treated anyone with anything else than respect, until it is deserved.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:45 pm

It's a joke son,I say a joke

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am

Don't forget "right-handed privilege".

My d-i-l's father is left-handed. She was having a discussion with him, and he was talking about how it was hard to find a glove, because most of them are made for right-handers. She replied that, sure, that's true, but the ball and bat and playing field are the same for everyone, and when he bats, he stands closer to first base.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Lefitsts continue to always see color first in any situation.

That's why we can never get beyond this mess.

Zephyr

Postby Zephyr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:49 pm

LibraryLady2 wrote:White Privilege Checklist

White privilege as "an invisible package of unearned assets, which I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was ‘meant’ to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks“ (McIntosh, 1989).

The following are examples of ways white individuals have privilege because they are white.
Please read the list and place a check next to the privileges that apply to you or that you have encountered. At the end, try to list at least two more ways you have privilege based on your race.

_ 1. I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.Not anymore
2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed. Been to NorthPark lately?
3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
4. when I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
5. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the
existence of their race.As a teacher, I can call BS on this one.
6.. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the food I grew up with. into a hairdressers shop and find someone who can deal with my hair.
7. Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial responsibility. At my bank, that's true for a lot of people
8. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing, or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race. The kids at the West End Transit Center can do it, better than most.
9. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.Um, no.
10. I can take a job or enroll in a college with an affirmative action policy without having my coworkers or peers assume I got it because of my race.I probably won't get the job. I'm 68 now, and finding that old, white people are universally despised.
11. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.Nope. Some ass will yell "White Privelege". I will voice an opposing opinion. Then the argument starts.
12. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated.I was at DART long enough to say, with all certainty, that is not true.
13. I am never asked to speak for all of the people of my racial group. No. I'm never asked, BECAUSE of my racial group. My attitude may also have something to do with it.
14. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk with the "person in charge" I will be facing a person of my race.Nope.
15. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.If you've ever been pulled over on the Bush Turnpike, you'll know that's not true.
16. I can easily by posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children's magazines featuring people of my race. Most of those items feature multiple races, and cultures.
17. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.Depending upon the amount of blood, I may not care about the color of the bandage.
18. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.To quote a former student of mine, "A white m*****f****r like you don't belong here"
19. I can walk into a classroom and know I will not be the only member of my race.See #18. I can also refer back to my experiences at DART, some of which were borderline life-threatening.
20. I can enroll in a class at college and be sure that the majority of my professors will be of
my race. I can't be sure that they'll even be from my planet.
Racial privilege is only one forms of privilege. What are other examples of privilege? (e.g., privilege based on gender, sexual orientation, class, and religion). Can you think of ways one might have privilege based on these factors? {e.g., that you do not have to worry about being verbally or physically harassed because of your sexual orientation: or you can be sure that your religious holiday will be acknowledged and represented in store displays, classroom discussions, etc). Please list these forms of privilege.

I DO notice that those screaming "White Privelege" the loudest enjoy a lot of "Wealth Privelege" in one form or another.
"I don't know if bourbon solves problems, but I'd like to give it a shot." - My grandfather, a Very Wise Man.

Return to “Your first forum”