Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

"Irreversible Bleeding"

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:49 am

A Popular Drug
Has Been Linked
To 'Irreversible Bleeding'

BusinessInsider.com

Pharmaceutical companies don’t have a particularly good reputation, for some very good reasons. But we can’t let suspicions about the motives of such companies cloud our assessments of drug safety because patients may also suffer.

People with abnormal heart rhythms and other diseases that cause blood clots (thromboses) often require blood-thinning (anticoagulation) medications. For many decades, warfarin has been the most widely used such drug but it’s associated with a risk of bleeding (including fatal haemorrhage) and requires regular blood tests to monitor safety and efficacy.

So the advent of new oral anticoagulant drugs was heralded as a major advance by both patients and clinicians – principally on the grounds that they appeared as effective as warfarin, may be associated with a lower risk of serious bleeding, and are cost-effective because patients don’t need ongoing blood monitoring.

For these reasons, a number of these new drugs, including dabigatran (Pradaxa) and rivaroxaban (Xarelto) were fast-tracked through the regulatory approval processes in the United States and in New Zealand.
Emerging problems

But reports now suggest Pradaxa might be less safe than it appeared to be in clinical trials. Specifically, it’s claimed the drug may be responsible for higher-than-expected levels of abnormal bleeding, including hemorrhagic strokes, and that it may, in fact, be less safe than warfarin.

Just as significantly, a recent investigation by the British Medical Journal claimed that the manufacturer of Pradaxa, Boehringer Ingelheim failed to disclose information about the bleeding risks of Pradaxa, and the need for patient monitoring to reduce these risks.

Read more: http://theconversation.com/theres-more- ... z3ASc0SprJ

crocmommy

Re: "Irreversible Bleeding"

Postby crocmommy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 am

I thought this was probably another Texas Rangers topic.... :cry:

truep

Postby truep » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 am

I take warafin and monitor weekly. I also have a supply of vitae K to take if my INR gets too high or if I start bleeding.

knotlazy

Postby knotlazy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Just looked at Mom's med list and none of those are on it...

But she is really having trouble with massive bruising and break through bleeding....she constantly has bandages on her arms now. Just a simple brush against something will bleed for an hour.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Is she taking Plavix, Knot? I can almost guess which people are taking it from the state of their arms. And yet, for those who have had a stroke, it can be a live saver.

knotlazy

Postby knotlazy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:17 pm

ann jusko wrote:Is she taking Plavix, Knot? I can almost guess which people are taking it from the state of their arms. And yet, for those who have had a stroke, it can be a live saver.

No, Ann...that is one drug she is not on unless it's a generic I don't recognize. But she takes aspirin and a large dose of Lasix on days she stays home to keep the swelling down in her legs..

Return to “Your first forum”