What did your great-grandparents do?

Description of your first forum.
Gopher

Re: What did your great-grandparents do?

Postby Gopher » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Not sure about my mothers side but Dad's side raised working stock. Big horse and mule operation as well as draft horses. Supplied a lot of Grayson and Collin counties with all kinds of livestock with the exception of hogs. They would not raise pigs for some reason. :D
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Stand on it till you smell stink!

Jami

Postby Jami » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:49 pm

FlashM wrote:Let's see, one of my dad's grandfathers was a blacksmith, the other was a tailor. One of my mom's grandfathers was ship's captain and merchant.

Did anyone have a grandmother with a profession outside of the home?

Yes, my dad's mother was widowed when my dad was about 5 and she had to raise 2 boys during the depression. Her first job was an operator for the phone company then she went on to be an operator for the SP railroad where she retired. She did pretty well for herself.

I forgot to say that she never remarried.

Trixie

Postby Trixie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Maternal side: farmers, housewives and business owners.
Paternal side: farmers and housewives

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:06 pm

One set of my great-grandparents lived until I was in my 20's...

He was a switchman for the Katy railroad.

She was a homemaker. She also played piano and organ for the church for many years. I think she may have also taught piano to some of the local kids.

Both of my grandmothers worked. One of them worked as an office clerk in the local hospital. The other divorced back during the 40's, when that was not socially acceptable. She then worked until retirement as the postmaster in a small Texas town.

Stanwood

Postby Stanwood » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am

Dad's grandparents homesteaded in Nebraska and South Dakota. Sod dug-outs, the whole deal. GGGrandmother's family immigrated from Norway. They're the ones that landed in ND. We're not too sure how the others ended up in NE but we know they drifted with a few other families out of Pennsylvania down through Missouri and then up to Nebraska.

Mom's family came from New England. My GGF was a Princeton educated engineer and traveled the US with a stop in Houston in 1910 to build Rice University. I have pictures from his time in Houston. I donated them to the Rice Historical Society for their Centennial Project. Now his great-great grandson goes to school there.

Benbrook Susie

Postby Benbrook Susie » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:40 am

Stanwood wrote: My GGF was a Princeton educated engineer and traveled the US with a stop in Houston in 1910 to build Rice University. I have pictures from his time in Houston. I donated them to the Rice Historical Society for their Centennial Project. Now his great-great grandson goes to school there.

Way cool, Stan !! 8-)
No matter where you go, there you are...

Jami

Postby Jami » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:26 am

Benbrook Susie wrote:
Stanwood wrote: My GGF was a Princeton educated engineer and traveled the US with a stop in Houston in 1910 to build Rice University. I have pictures from his time in Houston. I donated them to the Rice Historical Society for their Centennial Project. Now his great-great grandson goes to school there.

Way cool, Stan !! 8-)

Very!

bodine

Postby bodine » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:41 am

Benbrook Susie wrote:

Way cool, Stan !! 8-)

That is awesome!

dublusk

Postby dublusk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:46 am

On my Mom's side he was a ship captain! Sailed out of Galveston and Port Arthur, Texas. On my Dad's side, farmer. Near Dayton, Texas.

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:47 am

All were cotton farmers.

My grandfathers' parents were store owners back in the days when people bought things on credit. They were upper-middle class in the Ennis community, but when the great depression hit no one could pay their bills and they went broke. They went from a nice business and nice home to sharecropping in about a year.

BTW, if any of you still have an outstanding balance with my GG, I'm sure I'd be authorized to collect on his behalf; please accept my appreciation in advance.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 am

I'm enjoying this thread.

I knew my GGP's on my Dad's side. Had a few left up to my 20's. Had my Grandmother into my mid 40's.

One GGF I never knew developed some land at Lake Whitney...Pop Sample. The other I knew worked for Western Union and retired from there. He was always retired when I knew him and was an avid fisherman, gardener and raised pigeons. His wife, my GGM, was a housewife. They were quite a handsome couple in their younger days. My other GGM was divorced ( gasp) from Pop. She remarried which was another big deal. She was a very good seamstress and made hats for a well know department store.

Jami

Postby Jami » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 pm

RaisinCain wrote:All were cotton farmers.

My grandfathers' parents were store owners back in the days when people bought things on credit. They were upper-middle class in the Ennis community, but when the great depression hit no one could pay their bills and they went broke. They went from a nice business and nice home to sharecropping in about a year.

BTW, if any of you still have an outstanding balance with my GG, I'm sure I'd be authorized to collect on his behalf; please accept my appreciation in advance.

If you don't mind saying, who were your grandparents and what store? I may have heard of them.

Return to “Your first forum”