A challenge I'll take......

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

A challenge I'll take......

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:24 pm

That’s why I’m proposing what is sure to be an unpopular alternative to the #icebucketchallenge. It’s called the no ice bucket challenge, and it works like this:

Do not fetch a bucket, fill it with ice, or dump it on your head.
Do not film yourself or post anything on social media.
Just donate the damn money, whether to the ALS Association or to some other charity of your choice. And if it’s an organization you really believe in, feel free to politely encourage your friends and family to do the same.

Congratulations! Not only have you contributed to a good cause, but you’ve done your part for the environment by conserving the energy and fresh water required to make and transport large bags of ice.

Be warned, though, the #noicebucketchallenge is not for the faint of heart. It requires real fortitude to give away your hard-earned cash without the promise of receiving piles of Facebook likes in return.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/12/icebucketchallenge_you_don_t_need_an_ice_bucket_to_donate_to_als_research.html

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

GFB

Re: A challenge I'll take......

Postby GFB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Never heard of "ice bucket challenge" until yesterday. Somebody I know sent a video of themself doing this..had to have my wife explain what the heck it was about.

Things like this are just too silly.

Agree, give to your favorite charity..no need to tell anyone.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Apparently you are not watching news shows.
I have seen at least a dozen and am sick of it.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:06 pm

LibraryLady wrote:Apparently you are not watching news shows.
I have seen at least a dozen and am sick of it.

I don't keep up with pop culture news or facebook things.

And with stuff like this passing for news, you know why I "pass" on much of it.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm beginning to believe that Facebook is a plot to turn us into a nation of idiots.
The fire challenge- gagging on cinnamon- ice buckets. Is there anything sensible on there?

geeiabil

Postby geeiabil » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 pm

BillB wrote:I'm beginning to believe that Facebook is a plot to turn us into a nation of idiots.
The fire challenge- gagging on cinnamon- ice buckets. Is there anything sensible on there?

Hickock 45?
Tea + Water = Tea
Tea + Water + Sweetener = Sweet Tea
Any other designation is redUNdant

Gopher

Postby Gopher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Stand on it till you smell stink!

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:20 am

The millions and millions of dollars donated is about 40 million dollars more than has ever been donated to ALS research. I see nothing wrong with this promotion. IF you don't want to do it, just send a check or don't watch the videos! Seems like a lot of older people think it's silly. I say "Just let the kids, young adults, athletes, etc. have some fun while doing something they haven't done before. It goes to a terrific cause. What harm does it do? (other than the fire department bucket getting too close to high tension wires)?" Personally, I love seeing people have a great time while doing a good thing. When my husband said he thought it was silly, I called him "old curmudgeon"! Without this "silliness", ALS would not have a phenomenal boost in donations. I saw a clip last night of the man who has ALS that asked his friends to do it. He is an athlete (Boston Red Sox I think). After it swept the nation, he decided to do it, too. And he did. He can barely speak now, is confined to his wheelchair. I hope he survives long enough to see his child born in Sept.

Please tell me how this hurts YOU!

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:23 am

This craze came and went without me even knowing about it.

But it sounds to me like one of those things like..wearing pink sneakers in front of a big crowd, or going around with a bunch of different colored ribbons on your chest.

"Look at me I CARE more than you"..without really doing anything.

..or the modern version..just TWEET that you WANT the female hostages held by Boko Haram released..and the work is done!!

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:52 am

I'm not big on social media, but I can see why the ice bucket challenge is so popular. It plays to the very reason facebook, instagram, twitter, etc. exist; the "hey, look at me" culture that generates constant attention.

Yes, it has raised a lot of $$$ for ALS research. But don't gripe at me when I don't participate; I'll write a check to my charity of choice, on my time...

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 am

I ASKED "How does it hurt you?" I see a lot of "I, ME, ATTENTION, etc." But how does it hurt you? Has there ever been such an increase in donations before? You DON'T have to view the videos so don't!

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 am

ann jusko wrote:I ASKED "How does it hurt you?" I see a lot of "I, ME, ATTENTION, etc." But how does it hurt you? Has there ever been such an increase in donations before? You DON'T have to view the videos so don't!

It annoys the HELL out of me. Last time I checked, I was free to express my OPINION. Which I did.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:29 am

We are, for the most part, anonymous people. But if you are a person of some notoriety, you are probably getting tired of being challenged.

kent

Postby kent » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am

I believe the stat I saw a few days ago is that the challenge has raised 41.5 million dollars. Last year there was 1.5 million raised. I'm not going to bitch and moan about people doing this, it's working.

One of my best friends died from the result of ALS and his son has it now. Good grief.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:28 pm

We've had several veterans apply for service dogs who have ALS. One successfully "graduated" with his wife and dog. The dog knows to get help if he chokes. We worked with the dog to teach him when the wife says "Get help" that he needs to get the phone for her. There was a very big guy that came with him. The veteran told me that it was his uncle. That man shook my hand and then gave me a hug. I saw the super bowl ring on his finger. Someone said "That's a Cowboy ring!" No, I didn't get his name but wouldn't disclose it anyway. Another veteran applied, but he died before he could receive his dog. A co-workers father had ALS. Not only did the son have type I diabetes, but now knows he's at risk for ALS, also. His father died when he choked. It's a horrible disease along with many others. What's horrifying to me is that they are very clear mentally and know what's going to happen.

So, OK, I am very glad this has gotten so much attention and money for ALS research. So shoot me.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:58 pm

10 percent of ALS cases are genetic.

Trixie

Postby Trixie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:33 pm

I've been challenged but have been putting it off because I'm doing it with another friend of mine. I seriously don't want to do it, as I hate that feeling of having anything dumped on my head other than shampoo. Ha! I'm going to propose what you did, LL. I don't know anyone with ALS, however I take issue with large national charities. I would prefer my hard earned money be spent locally, maybe helping out someone who already has the disease to have a nicer day. I have a friend whose brother and mother who died of Huntington's Disease, another neuromuscular disease and it was horrible. She has been genetically tested and doesn't carry the gene.

There are too many other diseases and causes out there for all to consider, however I find that if spend my money toward someone having a better day or better time in their life, then I feel better for it.

I've grown tired of seeing everyone getting ice and water dumped on, but this too will pass, just like all the other fads.

Return to “Your first forum”