School shootings

Description of your first forum.
truep

School shootings

Postby truep » Sat May 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Does anyone else think that the excessive press coverage cause more copycat killers? These "Loners" want to go down in a "blaze of Glory"
so everyone remembers them. Maybe the press could tone it down and prevent some of these copycat killers.

GFB

Re: School shootings

Postby GFB » Sat May 28, 2022 12:52 pm

truep wrote:Does anyone else think that the excessive press coverage cause more copycat killers? These "Loners" want to go down in a "blaze of Glory"
so everyone remembers them. Maybe the press could tone it down and prevent some of these copycat killers.

No chance of that..they’re hoping for more.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

rusty

Postby rusty » Sat May 28, 2022 7:18 pm

truep wrote:Does anyone else think that the excessive press coverage cause more copycat killers? These "Loners" want to go down in a "blaze of Glory"

You think that this is excessive coverage? 19 kids and 2 adults dead?

Should we have more about the Kardashians, or Johnny Depp, or British Royalty?

truep

Postby truep » Sun May 29, 2022 2:04 pm

They don't have to sensationalize it. All that does is break out the gun grabbers and copycats. Example: Beto, a total loser!

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Sun May 29, 2022 7:34 pm

And now, some 10 year old kid has been arrested for threatening to shoot up the school. Gee, I wonder where he got that idea from?

I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

rusty

Postby rusty » Sun May 29, 2022 9:07 pm

So when these things happen they should just sweep it under the rug?

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Mon May 30, 2022 7:28 am

Studies show

Violent events are often covered by news outlets in great detail and spread immediately through mass media and social media. Experts believe that this media coverage can inspire others to copy these actions or commit similar crimes.[1] This is often called the media contagion effect, and it happens with suicide, terrorist attacks, and mass shootings. Other experts report that a better explanation is the tendency for people to imitate behaviors that get a lot of attention.

Credit: Pia Guerra, Washington Post.
Do you remember the name of this hero from the Parkland shooting? The killer got much more publicity than Aaron Feis, the coach who saved students’ lives.

Shooters get enormous attention: their name, photo, motivations, and story are often shared for days following the event. The American Psychological Association points out that this “fame” is something that most mass shooters desire.[2] This sometime inspires a copycat shooting, where the potential shooter typically tries to kill more people than their predecessor.

https://www.center4research.org/copy-cats-kill/
It's a joke son,I say a joke

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon May 30, 2022 8:44 am

Sangersteve wrote:Studies show

Violent events are often covered by news outlets in great detail and spread immediately through mass media and social media. Experts believe that this media coverage can inspire others to copy these actions or commit similar crimes.[1] This is often called the media contagion effect, and it happens with suicide, terrorist attacks, and mass shootings. Other experts report that a better explanation is the tendency for people to imitate behaviors that get a lot of attention.

Credit: Pia Guerra, Washington Post.
Do you remember the name of this hero from the Parkland shooting? The killer got much more publicity than Aaron Feis, the coach who saved students’ lives.

Shooters get enormous attention: their name, photo, motivations, and story are often shared for days following the event. The American Psychological Association points out that this “fame” is something that most mass shooters desire.[2] This sometime inspires a copycat shooting, where the potential shooter typically tries to kill more people than their predecessor.

https://www.center4research.org/copy-cats-kill/

I'm not saying it's not an issue. Of course it's an issue. But what is the answer? You can't just ignore these things. Something this significant is going to be, and needs to be, covered extensively.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Mon May 30, 2022 9:15 am

I'm not saying it's not an issue. Of course it's an issue. But what is the answer? You can't just ignore these things. Something this significant is going to be, and needs to be, covered extensively.

One answer is for the MSM to not publish every detail of the perp's life.

Give them no fame.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon May 30, 2022 10:10 am

When this type of even occurs, there is only 1 objective. To get to the shooter and kill them as fast as possible. Forget everything else.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... e94e5f5f20
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Mon May 30, 2022 6:51 pm

Richard Jewell would have probably preferred a little less news coverage.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon May 30, 2022 7:03 pm

BigTex wrote:Richard Jewell would have probably preferred a little less news coverage.

At least he won't be buried in a flag draped casket with military honors like Charles Whitman.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 pm

planosteve wrote:
BigTex wrote:Richard Jewell would have probably preferred a little less news coverage.

At least he won't be buried in a flag draped casket with military honors like Charles Whitman.

Richard Jewell died in 2007 & correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he was a veteran.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Tue May 31, 2022 7:58 pm

rusty wrote:So when these things happen they should just sweep it under the rug?

No, but the killer shouldn't become an anti-hero. Multiple school shooters have said that they admired Klebold and Harris, the Columbine killers. The media knows this, but they are afraid that someone else will scoop them, so they rush to get the name out first and most often.

Return to “Your first forum”