What was your first job?

Description of your first forum.
Sangersteve

What was your first job?

Postby Sangersteve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 pm

When did you get it?

I was always into to trading labor for money, at 6 or 7 years old my friend and I would walk the roads of Corinth collecting Coke bottles to trade for cash. At 9 or 10 I started mowing lawns.

The first real job with a paycheck was at 14, Sinclair gas station, pumping gas and washing cars for 50 cents an hour.Worked there after school and weekends till I was seventeen. When I left I was earning 4 bucks an hour, proving if you do a good job and show up for work, you can improve you status.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

Twiggler

Re: What was your first job?

Postby Twiggler » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Janitor late at night.....only lasted 3 weeks. Knew this was not what I wanted

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Twiggler wrote:Janitor late at night.....only lasted 3 weeks. Knew this was not what I wanted

My first job was as a working musician..age 12..worked fairly steadily ever since.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

BillB

Postby BillB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Summer job doing insulation work at 15.
I'm still looking over my shoulder worrying about the asbestos I handled.

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Paper route; the Dallas Times Herald (remember that?!?)

First job with a paystub was Six Flags over Texas; worked as a ride operator on the Mine Train for starters, then picked up shifts on many other rides throughout the park.

RedEye

Postby RedEye » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Teaching some kid named Methusalah how to tie his shoes. Actually I delivered circulars for a local theater and then moved up to doing whatever needed to be done at a Ben Franklin store, sweep, mop floors, stock shelves, etc.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 pm

First job that I received any pay:
picking corn for the neighbor--well, I got to drive/guide the tractor down the rows and my brother and sister picked the corn and threw it in the wagon.
Later I got some money for dusting the house for the same neighbor...and sitting with the elderly grandmother in the family while the others went somewhere.

The first job that paid into the "system" was a waitress for the lunch counter in the local drugstore....then I moved up to cashier the following summer. Pay: 67cents per hour.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

bodine

Postby bodine » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Carried trash out, swept the floors and cleaned the bathrooms of my dad's medical office for $2.00 a night.
Hauling hay for five cents a bale...
Lifeguarding at the local pool for a buck something an hour...

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 am

Babysitting when I was 11. Two children 3 and 5. Then the mother had another baby so I took care of the kids while she was in the hospital. She came home and almost immediately had to go back to the hospital. Dads then didn't get family leave so he had to work. I had the 5 year old, the 3 year old and a NEWBORN! I can't believe they trusted me to take care of a 5 day old! I swear I watched him breathe every second. Sterilized the bottles, mixed the formula, changed the diapers, etc. Thank goodness the 3 and 5 year olds were absolute angels and stayed with me at all times. At 14, I started working in my uncle's pharmacy. You could only get a work permit if you worked for a family member. At 15, I added lifeguarding but still worked for my uncle until graduating from high school. We had 2 indoor pools in our town so both jobs were year round.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am

Wow, Ann--in today's world, an 11 year old caring for those children would be child neglect!

I'm glad it all turned out well.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:31 am

Union 76 gas station, 12-8pm on Saturday and Sunday for $25 when I was 14. Back when self service pumps didn't exist, windshield washed, tires checked as were all fluids and battery. Learned to drive a 3 on the tree and realized I could sell product.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am

Librarylady, when I think about it in today's climate, those loving parents would probably have been charged with something. But I was very responsible and kids were different then. I loved those kids because they were always so happy to see me. I'd get books from the library and we'd read. When Ethan was born, we'd go for walks. I never had to worry that they'd dart into the street. Even the 3 yr. old could play simple card games, like memory, which was just matching. And too, my mother was just a block away.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 am

Starting at 10 years old I came down to the farm and hoed cotton all summer. At 12 I caddied on the weekends at home. At 14 I got a job in a feed store. At 16 I got a job at a vet clinic in Amarillo.

kent

Postby kent » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 am

Hauling hay fo .05/bale; picking up rock for $40/day; 14-17

Safeway Cheese plant $7/hr age 17-18

First job in my current career - Programmer Analyst at Chilton Corporation @ age 19 writing/debugging ALC.

truep

Postby truep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:11 am

Dishwasher/busboy/short order cook at the Griffiss base NCO club. 99 cents an hour.
Maybe that's why I hate dish washing to this day!!

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 pm

dad was an auto mechanic..... so i turned wrenches for him.
when he wasnt busy i hauled hay
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:28 pm

1st job I liked......On Belt Line between Grand Prairie & Irving.....pretty much where the race track
is now....I tore tickets at The Grand Prix Of Texas.....shade tree mechanic of sorts.
Really enjoyed that job (15 to 16 )

Chlorine Tinsley

Postby Chlorine Tinsley » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Paper Route - Dallas Times Herald

1st pay stub - worked in the snack/bar at the Gemini Drive-In Movie Theater, which was at the corner of Hwy 75 & Forest Lane
Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:36 am

Doing construction for my grandad at about 14 mostly during summer vacation, painting, home remodels, building fences. He paid me $8 an hour, so that was great, that was great money for a 13 year old, 30 years ago.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:42 am

Twiggler wrote:1st job I liked......On Belt Line between Grand Prairie & Irving.....pretty much where the race track
is now....I tore tickets at The Grand Prix Of Texas.....shade tree mechanic of sorts.
Really enjoyed that job (15 to 16 )

I don't remember that place. Where was it? Looks a lot different around there now.

Return to “Your first forum”