Notable absences from Kevins' board

Description of your first forum.
RaisinCain

Notable absences from Kevins' board

Postby RaisinCain » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I have noticed that virtually none of our "good liberal friends" have come to this board from the old board. I'm not losing much sleep over that, but was wondering why that was.

Some that I've noticed aren't here are rusty, there was some guy "___ in LH" that I can't remember (really obnoxious, IMHO) and a few others.

Just curious as to why they're not here.

Additionally, it seems that there was another board started by some guy several years ago that didn't like KMC; I seem to remember that there was some kind of falling out and the other guy started another board, something like dfwdigest. What was the story with that?

planosteve

Re: Notable absences from Kevins' board

Postby planosteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:38 pm

DFW Digest folded about 3 years ago. Anyone could say anything, and usually did. Had some good lefties like Cactus and Boomer Bob. Also, a guy HH from the North East that loved to argue. Usually couldn't figure out what he was talking about. I guess DFW Guy just got tired of running it or didn't want to spend the money.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Rusty was here for a few trips and then just dropped out.

DFW Digest was out of control. No adults over there at all, they were 90% lefty and couldn't get along.It got really wild with members attacking Guy and he just turned it off.

I wish some that have migrated to FB would come try our brand of talk.

If anyone has contact with those folks please let them know they are welcome here.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:27 pm

DFW Digest was out of control. No adults over there at all, they were 90% lefty and couldn't get along.It got really wild with members attacking Guy and he just turned it off.

I was there! :roll:

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Ok, Steve, I know some people who have been over here and haven't stayed....mainly because of the high percentage of political posts. I'm still here but have places I'd rather go that are more enjoyable. There's a bunch of us who just aren't that heavy into politics. I'm not sure we can get those folks back now either.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:25 pm

crocmommy wrote:Ok, Steve, I know some people who have been over here and haven't stayed....mainly because of the high percentage of political posts. I'm still here but have places I'd rather go that are more enjoyable. There's a bunch of us who just aren't that heavy into politics. I'm not sure we can get those folks back now either.
It's not about politics unless you want to make it about politics. To me it's about exchanging information and opinions on current events. But, you can post about anything that you want.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:33 pm

For a discussion board to be successful, you must keep adding people to avoid stagnation and to replace those who drop out. The trick is to let people who might be interested know that the site is there. But how do you do that?

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 pm

crocmommy wrote:Ok, Steve, I know some people who have been over here and haven't stayed....mainly because of the high percentage of political posts. I'm still here but have places I'd rather go that are more enjoyable. There's a bunch of us who just aren't that heavy into politics. I'm not sure we can get those folks back now either.

I can accept that analysis, however this place is what the members make it. If you only choose to read what is posted and comment if it interests you, then it becomes what the posters want it to be.

If on the other hand you ignore what you don't find engaging and post something that is more to your liking, maybe folks will like what you post and comment on it.

This place, like all other discussion boards is driven by the people that post stuff, it can be anything you would like it to be, but you have to start a topic to see if it is well received.

I made it clear at the start, this board belongs to the people who start discussions, be they pudding or politics.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:42 pm

I think the fact of the matter is that discussion boards are internet dinosaurs, being killed off by Facebook, Twitter, etc. I am a member of a military discussion board that has dwindled to about two people who continue to post with any regularity, and one of them is an insufferable bore who has basically turned it into his personal blog.

This group survives because we have a history and by and large consider Facebook a necessary evil. Expecting new people to join falls squarely into the category of wishful thinking. It ain't gonna happen.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:48 pm

The Internet dinosaur thing may be true, but Facebook can't take the place of discussion boards. The format is is alien to good written conversation. A few changes in the system's mechanics would alleviate the problem, but the program gods aren't about to do anything that would disrupt the flow of advertising gold.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:30 am

The problem with "discussing" political matters with those of the feminine persuasion is that they always take any difference of opinion personally and get mad. Every married man knows this of course, and learns never to discuss politics at home unless it is to agree. :D

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 am

I think if this board had appeared the day after Kevin announced the migration to FB, it would have better participation.

However, when it seemed out group would disappear people migrated to FB....some came here, a few of us try to visit both places. FB group has lost its charm, for reasons mentioned by BoB. This group has not geared up because so many of the original cast is not here. Some people became very disagreeable in the last days of DD and put a pall over the board. Some people have never learned the skill of disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Jami

Postby Jami » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:12 am

I agree with LL about the FB group. I think there is more activity here than over there. Guys want to talk politics and sports. There's a lot more men over here than women so those will be the main topics.

Kevin's board was like that toward the end but there was just more arguing. LOL. I know that some people made fun of the light side over there, it wasn't meant to be a popularity contest with the main forum but just a place to get away from all the arguing and name calling. There are a few folks from over there that I don't miss here, sad to say.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:07 am

I'll add.......in response to "the liberals didn't come"
First, a liberal knows he/she will be in the minority and, why come, if the discussion will turn ugly?
Disagreeing and giving facts/opinions is very different from disagreeing and calling names.
Who wants to be called names? Not anyone I know enjoys that.

The name calling, IMO, is what killed that other board--whatever its name was.......I went over there a time or two and was turned off by the ugly tone. The last days of DD were not fun with the name calling.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 am

LibraryLady wrote:I'll add.......in response to "the liberals didn't come"
First, a liberal knows he/she will be in the minority and, why come, if the discussion will turn ugly?
Disagreeing and giving facts/opinions is very different from disagreeing and calling names.

The name calling, IMO, is what killed that other board--whatever its name was.......I went over there a time or two and was turned off by the ugly tone. The last days of DD were not fun with the name calling.

It sounds like you may never have noticed that the name calling was primarily done by those liberals.

I think they know they did, and have learned they're best to just keep their views and not try to defend them.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 am

People that have formed their views based on emotions, tend to defend them the same way.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:20 am

GFB wrote:

It sounds like you may never have noticed that the name calling was primarily done by those liberals.

I think they know they did, and have learned they're best to just keep their views and not try to defend them.

That's horse$hit. I was called all kinds of things over there and nobody was ever kicked off for it. The most that ever happened was their post was deleted.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 am

It seems like this forum started up pretty quickly upon the demise of DD. I don't really feel that was the cause.

I don't feel that I get emotional over politics. Mainly, I just don't have the time to get in a debate and read the articles and long lengthy (boring) posts. I might make a few comments, but mostly I stay out of it. I enjoy sports and don't mind reading and responding to those. But I don't have the time to start a bunch of topics. I appreciate the folks who do. I could bore yall with kid questions....

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 am

And yes, there are a few people that don't come here that I don't miss. It has nothing to do with politics. It's more of an "all about me" attitude that gets old....

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 am

planosteve wrote:
GFB wrote:

That's horse$hit. I was called all kinds of things over there and nobody was ever kicked off for it. The most that ever happened was their post was deleted.

But your disagreements are generally not political.

They are most often conspiracies based on attempting to debunk much of what is already known to be true.

You are no more conservative than you are liberal.

Return to “Your first forum”