What the hell is "Peacock"?

Description of your first forum.
planosteve

What the hell is "Peacock"?

Postby planosteve » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:22 pm

My guess is that it's NBC in drag. And why do I have to pay them to watch the playoffs? This is just the beginning. Pretty soon we will have to pay these pricks to watch any sports at all. They did show Taylor Swift walking into the stadium for free.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

GRANDPA

Re: What the hell is "Peacock"?

Postby GRANDPA » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:22 pm

NBC's streaming service. Not completely commercial free, but a lot fewer of them. KC already leads Miami 7-0 only 4 minutes into the 1st quarter.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:49 pm

I believe the NFL is making a huge mistake. The thing that made the NFL king of all sports back in the 70's and 80's was the easy availability of every game on national network TV. I understand how this patchwork approach enables the league to squeeze every last dollar from the TV contracts, but it ultimately will hurt them. Some people will not know how to find the games. Others won't be able to afford to watch the games. Many will just lose interest.

The NFL is still a multi-billion dollar business and I'm sure it will continue to be. This is all in spite of themselves.

Personally, I lost interest when they started kneeling. Why should I give a damn about a bunch of ungrateful bastards that hate our nation. I'll still look in on occasion, but that's only when I have absolutely nothing else to do.

When I was growing up, we always scheduled family meals, family gatherings, and even holidays around Cowboy games. That is no longer the case. I don't know anybody in my family that gives a damn any more. We had a big family gathering on Christmas Eve, and the TV wasn't turned on all day.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:30 pm

"Personally, I lost interest when they started kneeling. Why should I give a damn about a bunch of ungrateful bastards that hate our nation."
That's what's known as virtue signaling.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:31 pm

What they've been showing since about 8:07 CT
Sure doesn't make Peacock look good. A buddy of mine in Wichita is seeing the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they say it's because of all the new subscribers they suddenly got this evening. Last score I saw 10-7 Chiefs in the 2nd quarter.

Attachments
20240113_200752.jpg
Peacock
20240113_200752.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 2318 times

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:37 pm

It just came back on, but the sportscaster were talking & showing highlights about a completely different game. I finally got it back on. 13 -7 Chiefs, 1:06 left in the half.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:45 am

I found it on the radio. It wasn't meant to be that the Chiefs would loose to a team from Florida at Arrowhead in a record cold spell. :D

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:01 am

planosteve wrote:"Personally, I lost interest when they started kneeling. Why should I give a damn about a bunch of ungrateful bastards that hate our nation."

You clearly have no concept of what virtue signaling is. Acting on a deeply-held belief is the OPPOSITE of virtue signaling.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:06 am

jellowrestling wrote:
planosteve wrote:"Personally, I lost interest when they started kneeling. Why should I give a damn about a bunch of ungrateful bastards that hate our nation."

You clearly have no concept of what virtue signaling is. Acting on a deeply-held belief is the OPPOSITE of virtue signaling.

No, but bragging about it is.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:08 am

planosteve wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:

No, but bragging about it is.

Yes, if you redefine a term to fit your own purposes, that could be true. Otherwise, you're FOS.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:11 am

I could have paid the $5.99 to subscribe to Peacock and my credit card would given me the cash back, but I didn't want to encourage NBC to keep doing this kind of crap.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:37 am

jellowrestling wrote:I could have paid the $5.99 to subscribe to Peacock and my credit card would given me the cash back, but I didn't want to encourage NBC to keep doing this kind of crap.
Exactly.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:21 pm

You can make a stand and refuse to pay, but this is the direction it's going.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:24 pm

BigTex wrote:You can make a stand and refuse to pay, but this is the direction it's going.

I already quit watching Rangers games because they made it difficult, and I care about them. If the NFL goes this streaming route, I'm out. I'm not a fan of paying a monthly subscription fee to watch commercials.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:14 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
BigTex wrote:You can make a stand and refuse to pay, but this is the direction it's going.

I already quit watching Rangers games because they made it difficult, and I care about them. If the NFL goes this streaming route, I'm out. I'm not a fan of paying a monthly subscription fee to watch commercials.

I finally made the decision last year to dump my cable provider, knowing that I would be losing the Rangers. I had no idea that my new provider, Fubo, had recently reached an agreement with Sinclair/Diamond/Bally to carry Bally Sports Southwest. I was pleasantly surprised with that, until I got my first bill and it had a $13 per month RSN fee tacked on top of it. I've been paying that because I still have a better deal than my cable provider gave me, but only marginally. I got an email last week telling me that the monthly fee would be going up by $1 per month to $14.

One way or another, this will be the final season for the Rangers on BSSW. Come October, I'll tell Fubo to either remove BSSW from my service, or I will find another provider. I have no interest in watching Mark Cuban's team or the Stars, or anything else on BSSW.

I really don't watch that many Ranger games on TV these days. We spend our evenings during the summer sitting outside in the driveway.

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:22 pm

jellowrestling wrote:I could have paid the $5.99 to subscribe to Peacock and my credit card would given me the cash back, but I didn't want to encourage NBC to keep doing this kind of crap.

…and then NBC said, “jello’s pissed. We better reconsider.”

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:41 pm

If you don't stop breaking my links I am going to turn you in to the internet.
Meanwhile, I'll replace it with this.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023

rusty

Postby rusty » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:55 pm

I subscribed to Peacock long before the playoff season.

That being said, you guys go ahead and do what you need to do. Nobody cares that you don’t watch the games anymore, and nobody gives a rat’s ass why you don’t.. Do your thing but why get on this forum and brag about it? You shouldn’t consider yourself that important. In other words, you’re inconsequential, but knock yourself out.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 pm

rusty wrote:

I'd say, "Indifferent" is more descriptive. I was pissed about the "The NFL is Gay" commercial. I enjoy watching football, but the NFL is getting increasingly ridiculous, and I have no intention to spend my hard-earned money to pursue it. If others enjoy wasting their money, then more power to them. I'd rather spend my money spoiling the grandkids.

rusty

Postby rusty » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:35 am

jellowrestling wrote:
rusty wrote:

I'd say, "Indifferent" is more descriptive. I was pissed about the "The NFL is Gay" commercial. I enjoy watching football, but the NFL is getting increasingly ridiculous, and I have no intention to spend my hard-earned money to pursue it. If others enjoy wasting their money, then more power to them. I'd rather spend my money spoiling the grandkids.

First, if you get pleasure out of something is it “wasting your money”? But I see how you spun that. I know you and I like to share a beer sometimes. We don’t have to do it, but it’s pleasurable.
Second, you can do both. I love spending time with my grandkids and I love watching the Cowboys. As a matter of fact I sometimes watch them with my grandson. It’s a great time.

Return to “Your first forum”